BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my M5 three weeks ago and have now been driving my new to me 24k mile 2007 MB S600. After 3 weeks behind the wheel of the ultimate luxury S-class, I've been able to make some observations about what I miss and don't miss about my E60 M5.

Things I miss:

- The tossability of the M5: This car was so easy to throw into corners and felt much lighter than its 4100 lb curb weight would indicate.
- The ability to rev to 8250: I never thought this would matter much, but after purchasing a car with a redline of just 5750, it makes me appreciate the raw power that came on after 5500 rpms and how hard that thing would pull the rest of the way to redline.
- The sound of that engine: The sound of the V10, especially after the aforementioned 5500 rpms was amazing and very intoxicating. I never thought it was that big of a deal, but after driving a car that is like a tomb at any speed or rpm, it makes me appreciate the sound more than ever.
- The heads-up-display: I never thought this was a very big deal, but now that I don't have it any more, I certainly do miss it.
- The SMG: There were pros and even more cons to this, but on a positive note I kind of miss being able to control when the gears changed.
- The oneness I felt with the car: I always felt very connected with the M5....like it was an extension of me and my driving style, especially when pushing the car near its limits.
- The size of the trunk: I know this sounds a little weird and I guess I never appreciated it when I had it, but the trunk was quite large for a car of its size. Its actually bigger than the trunk in my S-class.
- This board and people like Jim Colley and others who are a wealth of knowledge and always willing to help anybody who needs it.

Things I certainly don't miss:

- The way the car behaved when it was cold: From the diesel sound of the engine while the cats warmed, to the way it drove with its jerkiness for the first few minutes while the SMG warmed (especially in cold weather), the M5 was quite annoying compared to other cars until it warmed to operating temps.
- The SMG: This transmission was love it or hate it....with most of it being hate for me due to most of my miles being in local traffic. The slow dim-witted shifts in local traffic was a bit annoying and was the ultimate deal-breaker for my wife. She absolutely hated the car due to the way it shifted in traffic. She was the reason I sold the car as I couldn't take the complaining any more. You also had to be on your game at all times when slowing to a stop as it was never in the right gear if you needed to take off quickly after slowing quickly.
- The quirky and slow operating electronics: BMW should have let Japan design the electronics in these cars. When the car was cold, it would often take a few minutes before I was able to change a radio station, and the time between screens in I-drive seemed ridiculous at times. Also, the fact that I'd have to be almost on top of my garage door before the door would open was very annoying.
- The electronics looked very old for a car that was around from 2005-2010: The orange letters/numbers in the dash and the style of the I-drive made it look like it came from the 1990's. MB, Audi, Porsche, and the Japanese luxury brands had electronics that were far superior to what the M5 and all BMW models of that era had.
- The nav screen was awful: This screen might have been ok 10 years earlier, but it looks brutal in a car from the mid 2000's. And controlling the nav screen was counter-intuitive and very difficult to say the least. I can certainly understand why I-drive received so much criticism from the press.
- Performance mods to the E60 M5 are super expensive and not worth the money IMO: Doing performance mods on a high-strung NA car like the M5 seem like a total waste of money, especially for what vendors charge for them. IMO, it is a complete waste of money to spend $1200 on a CAI that only gives a few HP at most. It's hard to do much to the M5 unless you go with forced induction, which adds insanity to the price-tag and makes the engine and trans even more fragile.
- The constant fear brought on by this board that something was always ready to break: Fortunately my M5 was trouble-free in the 18 months that I owned it and I never had to make a claim on my warranty. But this board could scare the crap out of any perspective M5 buyer, especially with all of the threads about rod bearings, SMG troubles, going through clutches like water, and the cost of repairs and maintenance. I honestly feel that a properly maintained M5 is not nearly as bad as many on this board make them out to be.

I really miss the members of this board. It is a very colorful group of personalities and has always been a fun place to hang out. So far, my experience on the MB boards has been a little "lacking" compared to this place. I certainly hope that changes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
In my 4 months of ownership, my biggest complaint (so far) is the horrible CCC system. It's dated and just all around slow. If my car turns out to be somewhat reliable and I don't end up with an F10, I'll have to seriously look into upgrading to a NBT or CIC system.

T

·
0 Posts
You will be back. I have two customers that have bought engines from me in the past year that sold the car and now want back in and want a new motor to go with it.

One bought a f10 m5 and said it felt like a e65 7-series, so he wants to dump it and get an e60 again.

The reason I have so many of these cars for my personal collection is because they really are the last of the great super sedans/gt cars. I am excited about the new cts-v to be honest.

I love the S85 and the LS7 in my C6 Z06. Unlike the F10 M5, I think the C7 Z06 is an appropriate replacement for the C6 Z06 from GM so I bought one and it is being delivered on Wednesday.

I will never find myself being an owner of an F10 M5 or the Fx M6. They are too AMG for me. Hell, the new e63 AMG-S is more like an M car than the new M5.

Enjoy the S class. Definitely a completely different car to drive just like my 7er was for me.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I think you hit it on all points Dave. The car in traffic is a horror. I don't daily drive mine so it usually only comes out for joy rides. I don't think I'll ever sell mine. It's the most incredible car I've ever owned. I've gotten past all the anxiety created by this board (a point well taken) and just enjoy the car....hey, one of my business trucks (a Nissan NV) just blew a tranny after 3 years and Nissan quoted me $6200 for a new one so WTF!! Have you ever considered a MT M5? The inherent problem with the SMG is there is no way to feather the clutch as you can with a 3 pedal car. My wife has the same complaint, saying the jerking 'stresses her neck'. You can drive the Benz and stay with us here. I always liked your input.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
215 Posts
I really miss the members of this board. It is a very colorful group of personalities and has always been a fun place to hang out. So far, my experience on the MB boards has been a little "lacking" compared to this place. I certainly hope that changes.
MB drivers are stuck up snobs in general. I didnt even feel like MB wanted to sell me anything at all! visited a few official dealers and the guys + clients I saw there are just yuckkkkkkk. I think they already judged me because I'm not a white boy wearing a fancy shirt and a sweater over my shoulders. I am so happy I ended up at BMW, I feel much more at home in a BMW! You will never find the support on MB boards like on the M5 boards here. I been hanging out there for a while and they're all fancy posers lol!. Get your M back and come home dude! :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MB drivers are stuck up snobs in general. I didnt even feel like MB wanted to sell me anything at all! visited a few official dealers and the guys + clients I saw there are just yuckkkkkkk. I think they already judged me because I'm not a white boy wearing a fancy shirt and a sweater over my shoulders. I am so happy I ended up at BMW, I feel much more at home in a BMW! You will never find the support on MB boards like on the M5 boards here. I been hanging out there for a while and they're all fancy posers lol!. Get your M back and come home dude! :)
I think your experience could apply to any luxury brand, even BMW. I disagree with MB drivers being snobs in general. Benz drivers are very similar to BMW drivers, especially on the performance end of the line. Forums bring out the enthusiasts and the folks looking for help. I think my experience at the Benz boards has been less enthusiastic than this place because my car has been pigeonholed into the S550/600 group, and not the AMG side where there is a lot more activity and knowledge. Although my car is much closer related to AMG S65 than the 550. Interestingly, the S63 is much closer to the S550 than the S65. Maybe I'll start hanging with the AMG guys for more entertainment. ;)

·
2,149 Posts
Driving in my fams E63 amg S and porsche panmera S, always makes me miss my M5... The number 1 feeling i miss is the connection to the driver and toss ability from this big family sedan that was stated in your pros list! Its so hard to describe the amount of connection and confidence this car brings to the driver.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The MB forums are slow in the S class sub forums you'll find more traffic in the C & E class AMG area.

This forum has actually slowed down imo from when I first joined.

Hope you like the new car the V12 is pretty beastly even the non AMG variant. I get a kick every time my father and I trade cars and I get to drive his S65 AMG. Always tells me not to hot rod it lol! I know he would do the same thing to my car if he could figure out how to even operate it.

Post some pictures of your new car up! I would like to see it. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think your experience could apply to any luxury brand, even BMW. I disagree with MB drivers being snobs in general. Benz drivers are very similar to BMW drivers, especially on the performance end of the line. Forums bring out the enthusiasts and the folks looking for help. I think my experience at the Benz boards has been less enthusiastic than this place because my car has been pigeonholed into the S550/600 group, and not the AMG side where there is a lot more activity and knowledge. Although my car is much closer related to AMG S65 than the 550. Interestingly, the S63 is much closer to the S550 than the S65. Maybe I'll start hanging with the AMG guys for more entertainment. ;)
You're probably right about the AMG guys being more interesting. My own experience is from visiting several luxury brands in the Netherlands. Audi / BMW / Mercedes-Benz. I had 3 types of cars on my wishlist. RS / M / AMG. I felt welcome everywhere and the salesmen/owners were helpful except at Mercedes. At 2 Mercedes shops I pretty much got ignored. I could just slam doors and sit inside every car in the showroom and nobody bothered to walk over to me. When I finally approached a guy who seemed to be more interested in his computer we crunched some numbers and he said he would get back to me and never did. Even after I made reminding phone calls, NOTHING!

Then to top it off, at the last MB dealership there was only 1 salesman. He was busy with clients just a few feet away from us. We waited and it was pretty clear that we wanted 1 specific car as we spent like an hour sitting in the car and opening everything and inspecting the car inside out and discussing it infront of those people. After about an hour of old lady staring at my white american girlfriend and dirty looks to my few months old asian looking baby, a customer there tells me that the car I'm looking at is sold! "Ohhhhh do you want that specific car!?" the salesman asks while sitting at his desk. "Sorry that car was sold this morning!". Thanks @$$ for wasting my time! Can't believe you even let other people mess around in cars that were already sold.

At Mercedes I felt like everyone around there was trying to tell me 1 thing; Look buddy we got our own kind of people that we like to see in our cars and your type is not one of them! We are just going to ignore you and stare at you until you leave! LOL

It might be different in the US but over here they seem racist or something!

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
There are always a small group of snobs with any brand, believe it or not there were some who thought they were all that when I owned a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, I just kept away from that group :).

This has been by far the best group of guys I have dealt with on many of the forums I post on, I also have met a lot more members in this car forum and I can say that non were snobby :byee55amg .....well maybe except for Tony hiha

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice write up. Haven't had the car long enough to really have strong opinions on the negative side, all smiles for me.

You ain't lying about the trunk, it truly is huge. If the rear seat folded though, that would have been icing on the cake!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Nice write up. Haven't had the car long enough to really have strong opinions on the negative side, all smiles for me.

You ain't lying about the trunk, it truly is huge. If the rear seat folded though, that would have been icing on the cake!
It does fold but the handles to unlock them are in the trunk rather than on the seats itself :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Things I certainly don't miss:

- The constant fear brought on by this board that something was always ready to break: Fortunately my M5 was trouble-free
[/quote]

So you bought a 144K benz designed by chrysler out of fear? I've often times looked ar getting the SL65 or CL65 but not to save me money and definitely not for peace of mind. I've only considered the cars because of the raw power at low RPM but Airmatic and ghost electronic issues always turned me off, at 162K on my M5 I don't hesitate to drive it.

PS, congratulations they're beautiful cars I just dont want someone else not getting an E60 M5 because of fear.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So you bought a 144K benz designed by chrysler out of fear? I've often times looked ar getting the SL65 or CL65 but not to save me money and definitely not for peace of mind. I've only considered the cars because of the raw power at low RPM but Airmatic and ghost electronic issues always turned me off, at 162K on my M5 I don't hesitate to drive it.

PS, congratulations they're beautiful cars I just dont want someone else not getting an E60 M5 because of fear.
Not one bit. My point is that I won't miss all of the fear mongering about rod bearings, clutches, and whatnot. I was never afraid of those items going bad as my car was always well taken care of since new and I had all service records. The reason I got out is that I couldn't take all of the heat from my wife's bitter hatred of the car. I listened to her complain almost every day from the day I purchased it....because she couldn't figure out how to drive it...even in "D". It literally brought her to tears many times. I finally relented and sold the car, but it was not out of fear of the car....it was to keep my sanity. :eek:

My Benz has the better ABC, not the Airmatic suspension. I know that the ABC can be prone to issues, but my warranty covers it....as well as any other issues that might arise over the time that I own it. But it is a one owner car driven by a guy in his 70's and only has 24k miles. It is nearly 9 years old and still has the new car smell!

FWIW, MB designed the car, not Chrysler. And even if Chrysler had a hand in the design, it wouldn't bother me a bit. I had a 2006 300C SRT8 before the M5 and absolutely loved the design and driving dynamics. It was a great car and I still miss it. :cool2:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts