BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Are you guys aware that "ALL" of BMWs rims are made from the Cast process and none are forged, again none of the OEM BMW rims are forged. I was very surprised to hear this, coming from a senior BMW tech.
Was I the only one in the dark about this little fact or is this news to some of you on the board?
TIA.
Robert

·
10,445 Posts
i'm pretty sure OE e34 M5 wheels were forged.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I would not listen too much to ordinary BMW service men, even if being junior, senior or middlemen in the "range".

Many of them are simply full of Sh*t. The service men I had had to deal with, don't have half the knowledge this board has.

:cheers:

·
Registered
208 Posts
FAST 5 said:
Hi Guys, Are you guys aware that "ALL" of BMWs rims are made from the Cast process and none are forged, again none of the OEM BMW rims are forged. I was very surprised to hear this, coming from a senior BMW tech.
Was I the only one in the dark about this little fact or is this news to some of you on the board?
TIA.
Robert
The e34 M5 M Parallels were forged not cast and I think the e34 M5 sytem II wheels were forged as well.
Cheers,

·
Banned
386 Posts
Im pretty sure our wheels are cast... the m parallels are forged

·
Registered
48 Posts
FAST 5 said:
TIA.
Robert
There are some forged wheels on BMW's, such as the optional 19's on the m3.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
cali6869 said:
Im pretty sure our wheels are cast... the m parallels are forged
...realize that "cast" has dramatically different meanings based on the density of the material and the actual casting method used. Just saying wheel "x" is cast and therefore similar to wheel "y" which is cast also could possibly be nothing further from the truth.

·
Banned
386 Posts
CSBM5 said:
...realize that "cast" has dramatically different meanings based on the density of the material and the actual casting method used. Just saying wheel "x" is cast and therefore similar to wheel "y" which is cast also could possibly be nothing further from the truth.
sorry but whats your point?:confused2

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
cali6869 said:
sorry but whats your point?:confused2
You can't draw any conclusions about a wheel's strength (or lack thereof) just by knowing it is a cast wheel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The E36 M3 had forged wheels as an option, although I forget what it was called. This was back in the '96 timeframe.

·
Banned
386 Posts
CSBM5 said:
You can't draw any conclusions about a wheel's strength (or lack thereof) just by knowing it is a cast wheel.
Dont really understand why you telling me this.... I never question or said anything about the wheel strength or what not.... All I said that the m5 wheels are not forged...

·
Banned
386 Posts
Forged are lighter stronger wheels... usually made in different pieces....
All forged wheels are cnc machined, that is the reason for the high price... it takes long time to make the wheel... cause they have to be make them individually.....
Right now Im waiting for a set of forged wheels... usually it takes 4 - 6 weeks for them to make them... also with forged wheels (being a real custom wheel) you can order any kind of setup and offset.... ie. bigger lips, staggered, more aggresive offsets...etc.

·
Registered
244 Posts
cali6869 said:
Forged are lighter stronger wheels... usually made in different pieces....
All forged wheels are cnc machined, that is the reason for the high price... it takes long time to make the wheel... cause they have to be make them individually.....
Right now Im waiting for a set of forged wheels... usually it takes 4 - 6 weeks for them to make them... also with forged wheels (being a real custom wheel) you can order any kind of setup and offset.... ie. bigger lips, staggered, more aggresive offsets...etc.
This is not entirely true. all forged wheels are not cnc'd. If you look at a BBS forged mag wheel center it looks like a rough casting even though it is forged. An unfinished forged wheel is actually stronger than a finished/cnc wheel. When you buy a custom wheel like a Fikse or HRE the "blank" that they use is a forging. They then machine this blank into a wheel. It is much easier to machine a wheel to spec than it is to forge it. Forging is smashing the metal into a shape under intense preasure. Machining the wheel actually compromises the "grain" of the metal to some extent and actually weekens the wheel. Not by much however. Just look at a 2000.00 BBS and you will see what I am talking about. They don't really care about the looks of the wheel as much a regular consumer.

There are many types of casting today that are very very strong. Very close to forgings.

Jordan

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
cali6869 said:
All forged wheels are cnc machined,
Actually, the forging process is taking the metal and forcing it into shape whereas casting is pouring the metal into a form.

Forging yields the stronger wheel.

·
Banned
386 Posts
So why do they cnc the wheels? just to get the wheel design?
could it be that wheels are forged first and tehn cnc machined?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As an example the X5 SAV rims are CAST and not forged. My BMW tech told me that these rims in particular get damaged frequently by becoming bent, due to people driving up and over high curbs, hitting pot holes, etc.......
He feels as though the X5 rim is more prone to becoming bent as a result of the driver driving in a more severe manner than in any other BMW vehicle.
He was alughing as he made the remark, "some of these X5 owners/drivers drive as if they were in a off road Hummer vehicle".
Robert

1 - 20 of 25 Posts