BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this would be a fun thread. We could see what issues other members have experienced at certain mileages, etc. Post everything you can remember as far as mods/repairs/maintenance, also post a picture of your car if you can.

I bought my car December of 2013 at a Mercedes dealer - hiha
I knew the car had been in an accident according to the CarFax report. I can't remember exactly what it said, something like "minor rear or side damage". Going through the car, I now know that the LR quarter panel was replaced, there's no VIN or tire pressure sticker on the B pillar and for some reason there's red paint on the wiring harness for the hood. Aside from not knowing exactly what happened to the car, the body looked great, the interior was almost perfect, the engine and transmission were smooth and it only had 39,750 miles. I knew the tires were bald but since I didn't beat on the car during the test drive I didn't realize it needed a clutch also. That's ok, I got the car for $25k and I think that was a decent price.

This is all of the stuff I have done to the car, it now has 70k miles. I did almost everything on this list myself, please feel free to ask me for help if you need to perform any of these repairs.

Mechanical-
Intake air temp sensor relocation
Shark tune
LF steering knuckle
RF wheel bearing
RF caliper
Front rotors, pads
Stainless steel brake lines
KW Variant 1 coilovers
Servotronic valve replacement
K&N drop in filters
Charcoal microfilters
Oil filter/power steering rubber mounts
Valve cover gaskets
Coils, boots, plugs
Aluminum dipstick
Thermostat
Coolant temp sensor
Luk OEM clutch
Rogue engineering short shift kit
Rear differential reseal
Rear upper control arms
Beastpower rear swaybar brackets
Rogue engineering x pipe
DINAN mufflers

Interior-
Carbon fiber steering wheel trim
Driver airbag (dealer recall)
Rearview mirror glass replacement (by X8R on eBay - great product)
Blower motor final stage replacement
IHKA buttons
Aux input glovebox connector install
LF door speaker & tweeter
Left lower B pillar trim
RF twisted seat repair
Resealed all four door vapor barriers
RR small sunshade assembly
Used OEM amplifier
Trunk wiring repair

Exterior-
Matte black kidney grilles
Polished headlight lenses
New headlight adjusters
LED halos, side markers, interior lights
Refinished wheels
Michelin PSS tires
Titanium lugnuts
PDC sensor
Both rear tail lights

I love this car. I think I have a problem though, I try to find stuff wrong with it so I can fix it. The struggle is real.

Thanks guys. :cheers:

Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Thought this would be a fun thread. We could see what issues other members have experienced at certain mileages, etc. Post everything you can remember as far as mods/repairs/maintenance, also post a picture of your car if you can.

I bought my car December of 2013 at a Mercedes dealer - hiha
I knew the car had been in an accident according to the CarFax report. I can't remember exactly what it said, something like "minor rear or side damage". Going through the car, I now know that the LR quarter panel was replaced, there's no VIN or tire pressure sticker on the B pillar and for some reason there's red paint on the wiring harness for the hood. Aside from not knowing exactly what happened to the car, the body looked great, the interior was almost perfect, the engine and transmission were smooth and it only had 39,750 miles. I knew the tires were bald but since I didn't beat on the car during the test drive I didn't realize it needed a clutch also. That's ok, I got the car for $25k and I think that was a decent price.

This is all of the stuff I have done to the car, it now has 70k miles. I did almost everything on this list myself, please feel free to ask me for help if you need to perform any of these repairs.

Mechanical-
Intake air temp sensor relocation
Shark tune
LF steering knuckle
RF wheel bearing
RF caliper
Front rotors, pads
Stainless steel brake lines
KW Variant 1 coilovers
Servotronic valve replacement
K&N drop in filters
Charcoal microfilters
Oil filter/power steering rubber mounts
Valve cover gaskets
Coils, boots, plugs
Aluminum dipstick
Thermostat
Coolant temp sensor
Luk OEM clutch
Rogue engineering short shift kit
Rear differential reseal
Rear upper control arms
Beastpower rear swaybar brackets
Rogue engineering x pipe
DINAN mufflers

Interior-
Carbon fiber steering wheel trim
Driver airbag (dealer recall)
Rearview mirror glass replacement (by X8R on eBay - great product)
Blower motor final stage replacement
IHKA buttons
Aux input glovebox connector install
LF door speaker & tweeter
Left lower B pillar trim
RF twisted seat repair
Resealed all four door vapor barriers
RR small sunshade assembly
Used OEM amplifier
Trunk wiring repair

Exterior-
Matte black kidney grilles
Polished headlight lenses
New headlight adjusters
LED halos, side markers, interior lights
Refinished wheels
Michelin PSS tires
Titanium lugnuts
PDC sensor
Both rear tail lights

I love this car. I think I have a problem though, I try to find stuff wrong with it so I can fix it. The struggle is real.

Thanks guys. :cheers:

Alex
You can look at my sig for upgrades (16 years, 2nd owner).

I did have rod bearing issue, so I swapped in a newer motor.

Recently had the twisted seat repair handled. Awaiting an ambient temp sensor. Have done thrust arm bushings 2x (X5). Need to replace pin holding in my short shifter (don't know how that came out). Will need to redo window tinting. Otherwise, she is in excellent shape and I absolutely love driving her (not my DD anymore :().

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oh man, I too am afflicted with the “while you’re in there disease” lots of probably okay parts have been replaced with new bits. Also, lots of not okay parts (crumbling firewall anyone?) were replaced.

Biggest project on the table is full suspension refresh, and removal of supersprint headers with Jedders! Whoot hooot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
At this age it really needs it all but onced restored or better its awesome. Not the order I went in but wished I had with mechanical rubber parts and upgrades.

front diff mount with solid unicorn egg, shifter overhaul with e60 and turner mount, monoballs, rear poly subframe mounts, all suspension arms, eibach rsb, bc coilovers, ss lines, solid caliper guides, front strut mount

Ps hoses, belt drives, and steering have all been replaced

What has broken and needed replacement are the purge valve and fuel pump started sound different so already have a new one ready. Oe went 90000, this one at 70000

Whats original to my knowledge are the starter, wp and whole cooling system except tstat, breather hoses, coils and all belt drive stuff (ac,alt,ps).

I would be curious whole also running original starter and cooling system, since its my dd i need it to be reliable.

·
Registered
940 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
"Everything" hiha
Except the engine. Only had the valvecovers off for gaskets and to check timing, lower oil pan off once for an inspection. :M5rev:

282k miles

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've had the car for 3 years almost, and got bit by the while you are at it bug.
So far I've spent $15K on parts, all installed by myself.
I'm not going to bother with the list, it's too long.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys. It's nice to see everyone taking care of their beasts, it makes me feel good inside.

I put these on today, Moosehead engineering monoballs in new Lemforder arms. I should have done this a long time ago. Front end feels planted, firm and precise. I love it, highly recommended.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I purchased it in November 2018 with 89k miles

Mechanic went through it. Secondary air valve and thermostat

Set of stock winter wheels which I had refinished.
Headlight lenses
Fog lights
E60 short shift kit

This week paintless dent removal
I am also shopping for tires.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The car is 19 years old and I've had it for 6.5 years and 60K miles. Which means I've done everything. Literally the entire car has been apart at one point or another. Some stuff I've done twice at this point. I even did the mother of all E39 DIY which is replacement of the A/C evap coil. This involves disassembly of the interior down to the firewall and complete removal of the entire HVAC unit. This ridiculous video shows the process:

Evap Replacement Timelapse (not my video)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've now decided to sort out the body, I've got a new BMW front bumper, the entire front end is getting repainted (fenders, hood, bumper, pieces under headlights), driver's side door (deep scratch), the section under doors (the paint peeled off), rear bumper (cracked), and passenger mirror cover (damaged from an incident)....

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I bought the car ("Emmy") 10 years ago (2009), its a MY 2002 and I am the 2nd owner.

The repair list is "long and distinguished like my"... (name that movie quote?!)

Soon on the repair list is my headlights and fogs. They need new ballasts and bulbs.

List of upgrades/mods is in my signature.

Getting a new FULL cfiber steering wheel soon to add to my mods.

Cool thread thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I bought my '03 it in '06, it was such a big step up from my 98 Corvette DD that I thought it was nirvana - still do. I did do the Dinan stage one tune to get rid of the hesitation, and added a center armrest with the cubby. Otherwise it is stock. A bit off topic, but I have seen several recent articles and YouTube videos saying how unreliable these cars are. I have over 90K miles and the only thing I have had to do to it was oil & filter changes, tires and battery replacement. I plan on keeping this forever.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought the car ("Emmy") 10 years ago (2009), its a MY 2002 and I am the 2nd owner.

The repair list is "long and distinguished like my"... (name that movie quote?!)

Soon on the repair list is my headlights and fogs. They need new ballasts and bulbs.

List of upgrades/mods is in my signature.

Getting a new FULL cfiber steering wheel soon to add to my mods.

Cool thread thanks!
Where are you sourcing your steering wheel from?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a marvelous and encouraging thread!

I am almost a year and a half into, to use Chuck's words, total nirvana! Bought my '01 off a family friend and drove it back across the country. Got it at 122k Feb 2018. Sitting at ~146k now. I read an article of some other guy here in Atlanta sitting at half a million miles. That's pretty much my plan. If you're on here, please let's get a beer up in the mountains sometime!

Did the diff seals right after I got it. About 6 months later replaced the driveshaft (probably only had a shot main support bearing but went ahead and did the whole thing).

Had some bad luck with warping front rotors (probably just my fault for not easing the new rotors in properly) so in the process replaced the thrust arms and tie rods.

I'm a novice but I am trying to do oil changes and other small things myself. Need to change the trans oil, not sure when last it happened but it has not happened under my ownership. I may need to flush or change and then change again quickly as I expect to see really thick oil come out of there and probably have shavings. Shifts have been scratchy.

Noticed it's getting wispy in traffic after warming up in hot southeastern US summer weather. Stalled out in embarrassing fashion at a light the other day ... This car does have an Evolve tune and relocated iat sensor. Not sure if something simple like an intake filter change could help (it's probably necessary anyway). I have also been thinking about an aftermarket intake. Any suggestions?

Also slowly collecting little cables, adapters, dongles, etc for a new head unit probably going in some time this month (getting an xtrons unit). At that point I will probably figure out why my parking sensors and wiper pump have been a bit fidgety...

I agree that anyone saying these cars are unreliable needs to check themselves. I would like to see any other car from this era dish out the level of pure rage this thing still does and hold up half as well.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Car has numerous high quality mods when I purchased. Listed in sig, and in this FS thread from 09 - I didn't buy from this guy, bought from next guy in 2011:

https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/cars-sale-wanted/140786-fs-02-lemans-blue-m5.html

Since then I've jumped into maintenance via the local CCA DIY events. Biggest job so far has been front rotors and pads. Did interior cosmetic refresh and headlight retrofit projects last year:

https://chrisparente.com/2018/07/02/a-refresh-for-my-e39-m5-interior/

https://chrisparente.com/2018/08/15/e39-m5-headlight-retrofit/

Classic car and fantastic ownership experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bought mine on BAT about a year ago. ~80k miles. Overall was in great condition and came with a number of upgrades (DINAN mufflers, DINAN diff, DINAN tune), but I couldn’t resist doing everything I could to bring her back to ‘like new’ condition. Have done all of the following myself over the last 12 months, which i am fairly proud of given limited prior wrenching experience:

Suspension/driveline related:
*Full subframe bushing refresh
*Full suspension refresh
*steering center link and idler arm refresh
*KW v2 install
*ECS 12/10 wheel spacers
*Wheel stud conversion
*Motor mount refresh
*Transmission mount refresh
*Exhaust bushing refresh

Engine related:
*All CPS refresh
*MAF refresh
*Valve cover gasket refresh
*New spark plugs
*New fuel filter
*ICV cleaning
*Several vacuum and oil separator hoses
*Vanos solenoid cleaning and o-ring refresh
*Front O2 sensor refresh

Other:
*Jed’s shifter nuggets
*shifter rod joint refresh
*Rogue X-pipe
*e-brake cable replacement (subframe removal issue)
*Transmission fluid refresh
*New steering wheel
*engine/cabin filter refresh
*New DS cabin intake snorkel
*New DF door seal
*Clutch pedal stop upgrade
*Headlight lens polishing

Also just purchased the ESS V560 kit and looking forward to joining the boosted club!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm the 2nd owner of a 2001 Lemans Blue M5, with 138kmi.

This summer:
ABS Module rebuild
Gauge cluster pixel fix
Euro Headlight Lens swap (clear side lenses)
MP3 CD Changer upgrade
Rear O2 sensors

Next summer:
Buying a lift!
The 'kitchen sink' approach in this thread :)
https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/599642-clutch-replacement-kitchen-sink-vs-practical-parts-list-questions.html
Dinan short shift kit
Refinish/Repair OEM wheels

I'll start in on some performance upgrades after this, starting with exhaust.

Other things I've done, since owning the car (most of this happened last summer):
Upgraded LED Angel Eye bulbs
New Foglights.
New seat controller module
New fan controller module.
Front O2 Sensors
All 4 CPS sensors
Both TPS sensors
Rebuilt fuel injectors and all new O-rings
New Fuel Pump
New fan clutch/fan
New Vanos O-rings / Cleaned solenoids / Reinforced solder joints
New Thermostat & O-Rings
New Thermostat temp sensor
New Radiator temp sensor
New Radiator hoses
New Valve Cover Gaskets
New Spark Plugs
Complete Coolant drain/flush/fill
New Catalytic Converter Mounts
Had Valve Covers Powder Coated
Upgraded Oil Filter / Power Steering Fluid mounting blocks.
Cosmetically restored everything under the hood - polished every bit of aluminum I could get to. Shined up every bolt/washer/faster I removed, etc.
Removed/Treated every spot of corrosion on the car. (There wasn't much at all, but being a Northeast car and being stored in an unheated garage there was light surface rust on a few areas.
New Fuel Filter
New Power Steering Reservoir
New Power Steering Lines
New Drive Belts
New Vacuum Lines
Cleaned Oil Separators
Refinished 19” M-Parallel Rims
New Tires (Nitro 555’s)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
16 Participants
Awake77
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing