BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving in the morning to work yesterday everything was fine. On the highway i was switching lanes so down shifted and passed a few cars, not ripping the car. As i keep driving i smell something, oil...
I pull over and all of a sudden smoke coming from under the hood, i turn of the engine and open the hood. I have oil all over the front and its just leaking out from under the car. Right away i called my shop, ordered a tow and got it transported to my shop.
They said they found some hose under the car that ripped? What could it have been? So they ordered it and hopefully those are my only problems. I couldnt get into any more questions because i came after work hours and the person that was working on my car already went home.

·
10,459 Posts
there are no oil cooler hoses, the cooler is mounted under the plenum directly to the engine.
Could be a powersteering hose, or a vanos line (though those are at the top of the engine).

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well whatever it was, it got on the front top of the engine squirted everywhere... Also leaked out of the bottom while the car was off so im thinking it was somewhere under the engine because other wise it wouldnt just leak out. Part should be in Thursday hopefully thats all i will need.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ummm, Isn't the oil filter connected to the main engine block via hoses? Partially underneath, and definitely high pressure when running.

Doesn't take alot of oil to cover an engine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Keep us posted once you get the car back from the shop.
I'm curious to know since I do have some hoses in the car that I need to replace.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Might be a power-steering hose...those are known to often need replacing.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Might be a power-steering hose...those are known to often need replacing.
+1. And it will dump the fluid quickly. Tons of smoke. Ask me how I know:eek:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
basicly the hose came in and i should have my car by today. I aked the repair shop how much it was they were hesitant to respine, put me on hold and than told me $195??

Someone also said it was like number 1 on some diagram..? What can it be and can it be so expensive?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I am just wondering if part of the cost is the clean up. The way you described the situation, it sounds like your engine bay would have been a mess.

They should be able to itemize the charges though.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
basicly the hose came in and i should have my car by today. I aked the repair shop how much it was they were hesitant to respine, put me on hold and than told me $195??

Someone also said it was like number 1 on some diagram..? What can it be and can it be so expensive?
Is it one of the power steering hoses? The one from the pump to the cooler is a pain, it runs right be the drivers side exhaust manifold. And not a lot of room to work. At $100/hour, $195 is reasonable, given the PITA factor....
Regards,
Jerry

·
10,459 Posts
i'd say getting out of the dealer for < $200 is a good deal regardless.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok car is out of the shop and the final price, LABOR, OIL CHANGE( All my oil leaked out...) PART INSTALLED and ENGINE CLEANING ran me $400 exact. Not that bad

When i came to pick up the car they just filled it up with oil and the lifters were making noise, scared me completely becaus we all now that a hell of an expensive job. They told me it was because of the fact i leaked all my oil and the new oil had to run threw the engine... so i took it for a spin 15 minutes later ticking went away.

No i have a new issue though.. i think i need new cam shaft sensors because i the car drives as if it misfiring or something is wrong with the cylinders... but based on my friends experience with a 3 series BMW and M5 he had same issues.. needed new cam shaft sensors so im just going to replace them all. Car has over 90k now and they were never replaced.

And dropping it with the HR springs this saturday as well :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts