BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning the engine bay the other day. I used a wet cloth with some liquid soap. it destroyed my fah shroud!

there appear to be some sort of white stains everywhere. I tried cleaning it but the white stains don't want to come out

is there any way to fix this problem? aside of course buying a new fan shroud

see attached picture

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
go to an auto body supply store and buy a can of trim black spray paint remove your fan shroud and paint it

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
thats spray from water and salt/or soapy stuff that baked in from the heat of the radiator

i think you can buy that cover appart, iff it bothers you that mutch or just take it off and paint it with a heat proof paint.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't want to paint it. worse case scenario I will replace it. but, I was hoping that someone had this issue and managed to get it back to its original black

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
What kind/brand of soap did you use?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Please, what sort of 'liquid soap' was it, that stuff looks like bad news.

Letting us know may well prevent someone else from suffering from this...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Mother's back to black is a good product, I've used it before, however, now I use Griot's Garage Black Bumper and Trim Reconditioner. It's about 13 dollars a bottle and seems to last longer and give a deeper black than Mother's. I first saw it being used on the car collection at the Imperial Palace in Las Vegas several years ago by their professional reconditioners and have been a convert ever since. I use it on the side trim strips on my M5 and black trim parts on other vehicles. Good stuff!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
You could also try a light abrasive like toothpaste or peanut butter (which still amazes me that people figured out to use to remove wax residue from plastic trim).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Try WD-40. Apprarently, the "WD" stands for "water displacement" and was originally invented to keep water off of rocket/missile components. I've used it on the plastic pieces under the hood without any adverse effects. It does a nice job of eliminating water spots and generally dressing things up. This was recommended to me by an indy mechanic who uses it on exotic cars.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Of the ideas so far, I like IPA and WD-40. Might try a little vinegar.

Back to black and some of the others simply cover problems. And going from years of experience, B2B is temporary at best.

Good luck,

dj

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Of the ideas so far, I like IPA and WD-40. Might try a little vinegar.

Back to black and some of the others simply cover problems. And going from years of experience, B2B is temporary at best.

Good luck,

dj
I agree completely here. Why cover it up;clean it! I would first try a mixture of water and vinegar in a spray bottle and let it sit on the shroud for a few minutes to let it break up the deposits and then wipe it off and rinse.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I don't think this is dirty. I believe the soap used was a solvent of some type or acetone. Even brake cleaner will 'craze' some plastics. I could be wrong but we have as yet to find out what was in fact used here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't think this is dirty. I believe the soap used was a solvent of some type or acetone. Even brake cleaner will 'craze' some plastics. I could be wrong but we have as yet to find out what was in fact used here.
I think this leads to a good point... what "soap" exactly did the OP use to clean this? I doubt it was a solvent -- I've never seen a soap that uses anything but water as a solvent. However, I could imagine it was a an auto cleaner that might have had some wax in it (or moisturizer for leather, etc), or something similar that is supposed to make some surfaces shine, but will leave residue on black plastic.

...which also brings up another good point... be very careful as to what cleaning solvent you use, because you don't want to discolor, brittle, or otherwise permanently disfigure the plastic trying to clean this up. A good rule is to clean up from the least harsh cleaning solution up -- i.e. don't start with acetone or brake cleaner -- start with water, move up to water with dish soap, etc.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
its from the heat , no matter what soap you use, it burns in when hot..same for wasching a car that stood in direct sunlight,
poor water and soap on there and it will burn in and leave spots..

if the op did it with a cold engine, it would have never happend.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
its from the heat , no matter what soap you use, it burns in when hot..same for wasching a car that stood in direct sunlight,
poor water and soap on there and it will burn in and leave spots..

if the op did it with a cold engine, it would have never happend.
Good point. I'm still waiting to find what the product was though.

FWIW, if I was doing this I wouldn't use anything more exciting than car wash, very diluted, and wouldn't do it hot so it 'burns' off.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Good point. I'm still waiting to find what the product was though.

FWIW, if I was doing this I wouldn't use anything more exciting than car wash, very diluted, and wouldn't do it hot so it 'burns' off.

the product was regular liquid soap. I bought it here in Germany. so don't worry!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts