BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What fluids do you prefer for your trans, smg and rear diff? (Hoping this isn't as wild as an oil question, lol)

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,262 Posts
6MT and Performance Gearing/Blanton 3.91 custom diff: Redline ShockProof Lightweight 75w140

Other fluids in my signature.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'd recommend the Redline 75w140 for the diff. I tried Valvoline 75w140 and it didn't like it, it may be that particular diff though, as it still crunches a bit with the Redline in it. Other car runs beautifully with Redline. Flakka, can you elaborate on the Redline d4 atf in the smg? Why is it better? I'm running Redline MTL now, I'd expect you to say it's thinner so synchros work better on a cold trans?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been using redline oil in my Porsche for years but now reading that it's their other stuff that's really impressive.

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
373 Posts
I'd recommend the Redline 75w140 for the diff. I tried Valvoline 75w140 and it didn't like it, it may be that particular diff though, as it still crunches a bit with the Redline in it. Other car runs beautifully with Redline. Flakka, can you elaborate on the Redline d4 atf in the smg? Why is it better? I'm running Redline MTL now, I'd expect you to say it's thinner so synchros work better on a cold trans?
what do you mean by crunching? I put Lucas 75w140 in my diff per BMW TIS due to noise when turning hard corner, but was planning on using that as a flushing agent until I found the best diff fluid to replace it with. I'm still getting a little of that particular noise after car sits for a few weeks and there is some clunking going on back there when shifting slowly at low speeds, not exactly sure what it is, I think its just a noisy design working as it should???? At moderate acceleration all sounds great. so, I said all that to differentiate what you mean by crunching????

·
Registered
391 Posts
Growling noise when turning a hard corner. The plus side of this is that one knows that the LSD clutches are working!

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
373 Posts
Growling noise when turning a hard corner. The plus side of this is that one knows that the LSD clutches are working!
Ok, we're talking about the same thing then. The Lucas did a good job at taking care of that for me, but I just let the car sit for about 2.5 weeks while rebuilding rear suspension and took it out for a spin yesterday and got a bit of that. I chalk it up to the car for sitting still that long.

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
75 Posts

·
2,290 Posts
I've posted about it, do a search. It's the closest viscosity to the oe fluid which I've tried and hated. Can't say it's the same viscosity or I'll get flamed lol... Also what redline recommends for the smg.

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
75 Posts
According to Redline, these are the core fluids recommended for the E60 M5 with SMG

·
Registered
391 Posts
flakka, have you been happy with the Redline d4? I recall you were running MTL previously? Did you notice a difference?

·
Registered
909 Posts
According to BMW trans and diff are lifetime fill. Sorry I had to say it. To make sure the diff ends its own life, its got a self draining feature by way of the pinon and output shaft seals.

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
75 Posts
Thanks @flacoramos, just ordered a gallon of the Redline D4-ATF. My car is going to be undergoing some work soon - so I'm stocking up on parts and fluids to get replaced while she's under the knife.

Reactions: flacoramos
1 - 15 of 15 Posts