BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Shell Optimax ever since buying my 3.8.

Always used it in the past - dearer, but I reckoned on getting better MPG in my riced up Jap mobile..........

However, with the price differential to normal unleaded pushing around 5p per litre (that's over 20p per gallon), I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it............

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I use Optimax unless I haven't got any choice, but having recently used the higher-rated 100RON Shell V-Power in Germany, I thought I'd give a new retailer a chance:

Tesco are selling 99RON Super Unleaded. It's 86.9p/L here which is 7p cheaper than 98RON Optimax and certainly feels similar to my bum Dyno.

Where Optimax is concerned, I've found distinctly better fuel economy than when using 95RON fuel, and definite advantages when starting the M5 from cold. It also seems to run more smoothly between 2k and 4.5kRPM.

:byebye:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yep, tend to use optimax as well as it seems the cheapest premium UL fuel around, and have a few stations nearby. It could be psychological or withful thinking but I think it goes better on it.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Me too I use Optimax and have done since I got the car even in the past I have used this fuel and like others I have found the car runs pretty smoothly and gives pretty good economy (relatively speaking).

When I drove the car back home after purchase I used other fuels and I did find a noticeable difference in the running of the car.

Also I have used Optimax in other cars and there again has been a noticable difference.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I haven't tried anything other than Optimax in the M5, so haven't anything to compare with.

Andy - how sad are you!!?? ;) Taking pictures of bl00dy fuel pumps!!!!! Hehe!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I think I'm gonna give that tescos fuel a go...

I cover around 600 miles a week in my car and 91.9 for optimax is starting to hurt more and more..

I've always run it on Optimax, so I should be able to spot fairly quickly if the fuel is better, worse or the same!

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hertfordshire1 said:
I think I'm gonna give that tescos fuel a go...

I cover around 600 miles a week in my car and 91.9 for optimax is starting to hurt more and more..

I've always run it on Optimax, so I should be able to spot fairly quickly if the fuel is better, worse or the same!

Cheers

Steve
Keep is posted Steve! I'm generally wary of supermarket fuel, but if this is OK, it's gotta be worth the saving over Optimax...........

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I think the 'Supermarket Fuel' reputation is a bit undeserved these days. It all has to meet the same standards as big-name station fuels.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Steve

You can get it in Bedford or Stevenage 'Extra'. I think they are your nearest participating stations.

Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
AndyE said:
Steve

You can get it in Bedford or Stevenage 'Extra'. I think they are your nearest participating stations.

Cheers,
Andy
oh!

I was planning on going to Baldock!

Steve

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Blimey you pay alot for Optimax!!! Its 88.9p here.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BURTON said:
Blimey you pay alot for Optimax!!! Its 88.9p here.
If I send you a couple of Jerry cans will you fill 'em up for me - it's 10p a litre (45p a gallon!!) more around here!!

Whereabouts are you?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yes mate no problem there. Iam in Ipswich, Suffolk. Iam blessed I guess as the Shell Station is around the corner from where I live..

Has anyone added Octane booster to there tank?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't bother with octane booster - get some avgas.

Or if you're not bothered about getting cancer, tolulene is the stuff you want.....................

Me? I'll stick with pump fuel!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I post in the S2 Forum, as I am an S2 "RS" owner. I heard a lot of guys from england complaining about the Optimax, as tuned turbo cars are much more sensible to know or ping. The point is that a chip wizard called Mihnea tried a few weeks ago some fuels on the dyno and VAG Equipment. He had the ECU retarding a lot of ignition timing on all cilinders, as in the original optimax it never happend. That thread Started just because a big number of guys thought the Optimax is no longer 99 RON or is not avaible anymore, so they made the tests. And the test showed that the Optimax was retarding ignition as regular gas. A few other guys started to use Tesco or regular with Toluene.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm using normal unleaded at the moment.

Only becuase I tend to fill up at Tesco's in the Watford area, which doesn't do Super UL last time I looked, but the regular stuff is 81.9p at the mo - seems pretty cheap.

I'll have a closer look next time I go there - they've got around 20 pumps - I don't think they do the 99RON rocket-fuel that AndyE is using - I'm intrigued by that and will try to get some and see the difference.

Going in for an M.O.T. tomorrow morning - will post the good (or bad) news.

I also noticed UK LE No.48 / 50 on autotrader earlier :-

<SCRIPT language=javascript>var picTest = document.getElementById("picArea"); if (!picTest){ document.getElementById("details").style.width = "85%"; }</SCRIPT>1995 BMW E34 M5 ,
N reg. 89000 miles, FMDSH, extended warranty, 2 owners from new, Nurburging suspension, all available extras, Orrinoco Green, Limited Edition, No 48 out of 50. 1 of the last hand build M5s. Excellent Condition. £11,500 . ono.
Price: £11,500 ono.

·
Registered
118 Posts
These are Mihnea words:

"There is no more proper Optimax in the UK. I got screwed a few times at different Shell garages, and I have extensively datalogged my S4 to prove it.

Fact:

Tuned the car on proper Optimax, tuned it so the ECU retards only up to 3 degrees of advance/cylinder tops, first time I had logged it, it was only retarding on 2 out of 6 cylinders.

First time I got a bad batch of Optimax, got the car retarding 7 degrees/cylinder on all of them.

Ran that tank empty, filled up at a [email protected] station with 95 RON to get me going to the closest Optimax garage, logged on my way with the ECU reset: 5.5 degrees of retard on all cylinders, ran better than on the previous tank.

Filled the tank up at another Optimax garage, reset ECU, logged again, got 8 degrees of retard on all cylinders...

So this proves there is no more Optimax in the UK and there hasn't been for a few weeks. I have heard rumours of VPower 100RON that's going to be available in the UK in a couple of weeks, that would be good, I have tested the juice in Germany saturday and my car ran awesome on it, I was able to bump the timing up 6 degrees compared to what I had programmed in there the last time I did it, and still couldn't get the ECU to retard a single degree on ANY cylinder... Got a top speed of 283km/h GPS (176.8 mph) on a slight downhill as well thanks to that über-juice!!!
"....

Cheers all,

Mihnea
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
It must be fake!!!
Nah its not... You can notice the difference when putting in the other stuff... Must be down to the area.

But this is a good point. Is there a govening body on whether fuel in the pump is that fuel?!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts