BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hiya Guys,

New here, its my first post.

My question is, what engine does the Alpina B3 have? Was it orginally the same block as the current 330, ie M54?

The reason I ask is that i have a e46 330ci Supercharged by ASA. (Yup its the same unit that supply SC for the B7/B5.)

I live in the UK, and have a RHD, and have been looking for performance headers/manifold. No one makes them! I was thinking I would use the B3 ones? But will they fit?

Also are the "Kat's" different in the Aplina compared to a 330? Hopefully they are also more "sporty".

Thanks in Advance... ;)

Durgesh

·
Registered
456 Posts
The B3 has had 4 different engines. 3.0l, 3.2l, 3.3l and 3.4l. As far as I know all are derived from the 2.8 block apart from the 3.4l, this comes from the 3l BMW block. Alpina were the first to offer "Kats" as standard, and they always sound better than the competition.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I could be wrong but I remember that the other engines than the newest 3.4 are actually based on the US-spec M3 engine from the E36.. the 3.4 is based on the 3.0l block.. Not sure..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK so it looks like teh 3.4 headers are the one's i need... Anyone can confirm this?

Thanks guys!

Durgesh

·
Registered
375 Posts
the B3 with 3.2 and more displacement is based on the US-spec E36 M3 engine (S52USB32) and has a cast iron block. The M54 has an alloy block.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here you can download the E46 B3 3.3 spareparts-catalogue:
http://www.buchloe-cars.ch/Zubeh%F6r/Teilekataloge/E46%20B3%203.3/Tkb333.pdf

I hope this helps you.

BTW: The sound of the new B3S headers is great. But I do not know whether it will fit on an 330i E46 - the motor is still based on the US M3.
If you need the spareparts-catalogue of a B3S I can send it to you. But be aware of the spareparts-pricing of our friends in Buchloe ouich .

Cherche

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cherche said:
Here you can download the E46 B3 3.3 spareparts-catalogue:
http://www.buchloe-cars.ch/Zubeh%F6r/Teilekataloge/E46%20B3%203.3/Tkb333.pdf

I hope this helps you.

BTW: The sound of the new B3S headers is great. But I do not know whether it will fit on an 330i E46 - the motor is still based on the US M3.
If you need the spareparts-catalogue of a B3S I can send it to you. But be aware of the spareparts-pricing of our friends in Buchloe ouich .

Cherche
Thanks mate.... I will download that, can you please send me the B3S one too, so I may compare.

[email protected]

Thanks again

Durgesh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts