BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've decided I want to flash my ECU. What company should I get to do it. Will the flash improve the **** speed also i.e smoother shifts in D mode?

Thank Everyone!

·
Registered
327 Posts
From what I've seen, RPI my opinion is the best. SMG is a manual not an automatic, you cant compare them, it's not suppose to be smooth. Flash will improve throttle response and give you a little power, and of course remove the top-speed limiter.

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
2,432 Posts
I had a chance to look at the changes and the differences of how the two companies changed things with the ECU. Because of how we do things here, it was beneficial for us to make the change. The new ESS software and ESS/RPi tune is top notch and our customers have given us great feedback on it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
try the Singh
i hear good things about them also.
I don't personally have/used it, but seems reasonable.
Although ESS is not bad also.

I am, personally, leaning towards Singh (will do b4 and after dyno) to check numbers.

On the other hand, am still waiting to get the RPI GT exhaust, BUT the Arqray is nice and sounds pretty good.

gl with your choice!

·
Registered
76 Posts
try the Singh

I am, personally, leaning towards Singh (will do b4 and after dyno) to check numbers.

On the other hand, am still waiting to get the RPI GT exhaust, BUT the Arqray is nice and sounds pretty good.

gl with your choice!
i had the singh Ecu done on my m5... never had a chance to dyno the car but when i tell you the different is night and day its ridiculous... no doubt in my mind i had gained at least 20 to 30hp...

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
2,432 Posts
try the Singh

gl with your choice!
i had the singh Ecu done on my m5... never had a chance to dyno the car but when i tell you the different is night and day its ridiculous... no doubt in my mind i had gained at least 20 to 30hp...

I had the AA tune on our shop M5 before. No difference in power on the dyno. Check out the video Rab posted with his car running against the Singh car.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I dont think that's a impartial comparison because the two cars have different mods. A comparison with both cars being stock and having seperate aftermarket tunes would be a legitimate comparison. Reading about so many dynos and different numbers, I think Rabs car is just a strong factory beast.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I dont think that's a impartial comparison because the two cars have different mods. A comparison with both cars being stock and having seperate aftermarket tunes would be a legitimate comparison. Reading about so many dynos and different numbers, I think Rabs car is just a strong factory beast.
Keep in mind that a tune is most effective when combined with other mods because it helps maximize the gain from those mods.

But yes it is very possible Rab Dog has an usually strong M5.

To the OP, I'd personally start with basic bolt on upgrades before getting a tune. Start with RPI Scoops/BMC Filters, RPI Pulley, and RPI exhaust, and then get a tune if you wish for more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I lost my BMW powertrain warranty as a direct result of the Dinan software. The car (08 M5, 30k miles) broke an exhaust valve spring on #10 cyl, when the data was uploaded from the DME, Germany flagged her for over-revving and exceeding their top speed limit! It showed the redline had been exceeded 445 times, a max rev count of 8564rpm and 165mph. The Dinan software raises the rev limi 150 rpm to 8400 and takes out the top speed limit. This info is now documented in the car's file. Steve Dinan made the decision NOT to cover the cost of the repair ($5000 to remove the head and replace the damaged valve) since the max RPM exceeded his redline!! Now I'm left to pay for the repair and any future ones on a car with no warranty..... Needless to say, BEWARE Dinan products at all costs!!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I lost my BMW powertrain warranty as a direct result of the Dinan software. The car (08 M5, 30k miles) broke an exhaust valve spring on #10 cyl, when the data was uploaded from the DME, Germany flagged her for over-revving and exceeding their top speed limit! It showed the redline had been exceeded 445 times, a max rev count of 8564rpm and 165mph. The Dinan software raises the rev limi 150 rpm to 8400 and takes out the top speed limit. This info is now documented in the car's file. Steve Dinan made the decision NOT to cover the cost of the repair ($5000 to remove the head and replace the damaged valve) since the max RPM exceeded his redline!! Now I'm left to pay for the repair and any future ones on a car with no warranty..... Needless to say, BEWARE Dinan products at all costs!!
Sorry to hear your situation. That suks but doesn't Dinan and BMW have this warranty arrangement with their mods? What am I not understanding?

Ranger

·
Registered
53 Posts
They used to, but apparently that relationship has soured recently. From what I was told by a senior BMW NA warranty rep, they weren't abiding by their agreement to report mods made to their cars so it could be documented in the car's official file. I know mine never was, as I have a copy of their "confidential" file. I'm ready to put the car back to stock and sell it to Carmax!! LOL I spent some $13k on their wheels, exhaust, etc and this is the "thanks" I get....

·
Registered
29 Posts
That sucks to hear. I'm a little confused; Dinan raise the rev to 8400rpm but you're capable of revving more than that? .... or is it the infamous offset calibration? For instance, actual speed does not reflect to what is posted on the speedometer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That is BS that Dinan will not cover it.............Is it your fault that his software allowed you to rev more than the set parameters? I do not think so.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That sucks to hear. I'm a little confused; Dinan raise the rev to 8400rpm but you're capable of revving more than that? .... or is it the infamous offset calibration? For instance, actual speed does not reflect to what is posted on the speedometer.
I bought the car 4 months ago as a CPO, I think the max rev was a result of a missed down shift by the prior owner. Think 5 to 2 vs 5 to 4..

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is exactly what has been put in my car's warranty file by BMW:

"01/15/2010 -Active- PER COMMUNICATION FROM MARKET TEAM, INTERNAL DATA REVEALS ENGINE ON THIS VEHICLE HAS BEEN OVER-REVVED 445 TIMES AS WELL AS VEHICLE DRIVEN AT 165 MPH, AFTER-MARKET SOFTWARE POSSIBLY INSTALLED. FAILURES AS A RESULT OF ABUSE OR ANY MODI-FICATIONS PERFORMED NOT COVERED UNDER ANY BMW WARRANTIES PER DOCUMENTATION IN 01/2010 NATIONAL VEHICLE FILE. POSTED 1/15/2010"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts