BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in to reset SES warning light yesterday. When I got it back, this light came on. I cannot find it in the manual; my mechanic has never seen it either.

Anyone knows what this means? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
it illuminates when the radar-assisted cruise control is activated. in US cars w/o that feature, it means something is wrong.

Reactions: M5 London

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
It means that the overtake you just carried out, was pretty stylish :)

I think its either some radar controlled cruise control, or tow bar warning, or something else perhaps.

Similar threads have come up, but I can never remember what it was.

Someone will be on here within 20 mins with the answer though !

EDIT : Lol !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all. I didn't know my 03' M5 had radar controlled cruise control! :)
I did have the instrument cluster replaced by the dealer a few years back. May be they just put in the euro model. I wonder how to reset this now? My mechanic reset the fault memory but it is still on.

·
Super Moderator
4,405 Posts
TEST #21 will shut it off - but as a result of a RESET - forgot all of the stuff gets reset

OBD menu is re-locked
Date & Time

edit:

just did mine

it resets:
everything in the on-board computer
date
time
tire monitor
miles in cluster
*full extent still unknown

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
It often gets left on after testing the cluster with test number 2. Just run test 21 to reset, then reset your time and date, job done.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
it illuminates when the radar-assisted cruise control is activated. in US cars w/o that feature, it means something is wrong.
Doesnt mean anything is wrong

OP unplug your battery for ~15 minutes

ALSO please do NOT do a cluster-reset unless you have to! Frankly it seems nobody really knows what that changes, it could be resetting adaption codes for all we know. I think its best to just leave that reset alone... and instead just unplug the battery! We know what unplugging the battery does, and its the same as the cluster reset, except without the cluster reset's unknown changes...

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts

ALSO please do NOT do a cluster-reset unless you have to! Frankly it seems nobody really knows what that changes, it could be resetting adaption codes for all we know. I think its best to just leave that reset alone... and instead just unplug the battery! We know what unplugging the battery does, and its the same as the cluster reset, except without the cluster reset's unknown changes...

It resets the SII intervals back to w/e was default (22,500mi IIRC) and the correction data for the fuel consumption calculation back to a setting of 1000. That's all I could determine from actually doing it myself. I dont think there is anything else in the cluster to reset, and there is nothing that the cluster controls.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

why do you recommend disconnecting the battery if nothing is wrong?

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
that was my assumption. but, as the US car doesn't have the option, and the light came on; thus, the logical conclusion that something went wrong.

·
Registered
226 Posts
How ironic... I just unlocked the OBC via another thread and after test #2 this same symbol came up. Guess I have to disconnect the battery.

BTW, my ktemp was 66-71 during operation of the car...looks like I need a thermostat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts