BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, new 2008 owner here. This symbol displays every time I turn the car off.

<------->
(with an outline of the car above it)

What is it telling me, thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
Put the car into gear after you park.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think that leaving the car in gear is also a little extra security deterrent. If you have had to talk through a stranger starting the car you realise how confusing it is to someone who doesn't know the M cars and putting the car in neutral is not always clear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Greetings and welcome to the board!

I recommend finding the time to read the owners manual so you can enjoy your new beast to its fullest.

Here's page 51 of owners manual on proper engine shutdown.
Basically, leave it in gear.
I have been all through the manual and spent some time looking for an explaination of the <--> icon/message. I do have the shut down proceedure memorized but I must admit I am a bit confused on the second day of ownership. I still dont know what the indicator is trying to tell me about the comfort access key fob with the +1 message.

On another note: I learned in responses above that there is no such thing as shifting to DRIVE in an SMG M6 transmission. Obviously the manual has a few areas needing further clarification.

lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't know if this is bad or not, but what I do is turn off the car in gear or R and then when it turns off completely I push the stick over into N and it stays in gear, but when I get back into the car I just have to push the Start button and then it starts up and I shift into 1 and take off.

-sm

·
Registered
133 Posts
mine didn't come with a manual and I have had it for month. Many very helpful board members have suggested how to download one. does that require it to be read? I see all sorts of stuff in the car but it's like surgery, just keep going.

My son got in the car and figured all sort of stuff out on idrive , wish I payed attention. he did pair my iphone and preset my radio stations, which I never use since I prefer the Meisterschaft exhaust growling.
:blabla::blabla::blabla:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
On another note: I learned in responses above that there is no such thing as shifting to DRIVE in an SMG M6 transmission. Obviously the manual has a few areas needing further clarification.
Actually there is. You move the shift lever to the right (when in "D") and it will enter "S" or manual shift mode". And vice versa. Of course when your press the "M" button or use the paddle shifters, the car goes into "S" mode. But you can again shift into "D" while driving in "S" mode. Not something you would do very often, but it can be done.

Cheers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually there is. You move the shift lever to the right (when in "D") and it will enter "S" or manual shift mode". And vice versa. Of course when your press the "M" button or use the paddle shifters, the car goes into "S" mode. But you can again shift into "D" while driving in "S" mode. Not something you would do very often, but it can be done.

Cheers.
Geesh, now I am totally confused!

I was told that there is no such thing as a "D" mode in an M6.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

There is a D mode, but it should be avoided like rat poison. As Mark said, D mode is for valet use only.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
mine didn't come with a manual and I have had it for month. Many very helpful board members have suggested how to download one. does that require it to be read? I see all sorts of stuff in the car but it's like surgery, just keep going.

My son got in the car and figured all sort of stuff out on idrive , wish I payed attention. he did pair my iphone and preset my radio stations, which I never use since I prefer the Meisterschaft exhaust growling.
:blabla::blabla::blabla:
I have it downloaded on my iPad as reference tool. It only takes 5 mins from the owners site.
+1 on listening to the exhaust!

·
Premium Member
8,369 Posts
When we first put the car in gear after the engine is started - that is the D mode (simulated automatic transmission), and you should actually see the letter D on your display panel.

And like Ajax said - the D mode is meant for valet drivers - that is if you allow a Valet to park your car when you eat in a restaurant.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Another symbol shows up sometimes, what is the beast trying to tell me when it displays this symbol.
Thanks.
____
__| |__
| |||||||
| ++1 |
| Key Picture
| |||||||
|__ __|

1 - 20 of 29 Posts