BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be replacing my plugs over the holiday break. Does anyone know if there is a visual difference between the NGK plug that everyone buys and the OEM bmw part? Is the OEM plug labeled NGK in any way?

My concern is if I ever experience any problems, the local stealership would deny a potential warranty claim just because I didn't use OEM sparkplugs?

Also does anyone know what size socket I need? I plan on picking up a torque limiting magnetic sparkplug socket (not the $177 bmw one) ..

thanks in advance! you guys are great!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Yeah, the OEM plug IS the NGK brand plug. I just did mine a few weekends ago, pretty simple operation. Kind of a tedious process between removing the rubber grommet inside the socket to loosen the plug, then put back the grommet to gently spin the plug free and lift out of the way. Then use the grommet again to spin back the new plug, remove the grommet again to tighten the plug to torque specs. Do that like 10 times!!! Argh!!! Oh, I also applied the thread anti-seize on the new plugs to avoid any future probs.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah, the OEM plug IS the NGK brand plug. I just did mine a few weekends ago, pretty simple operation. Kind of a tedious process between removing the rubber grommet inside the socket to loosen the plug, then put back the grommet to gently spin the plug free and lift out of the way. Then use the grommet again to spin back the new plug, remove the grommet again to tighten the plug to torque specs. Do that like 10 times!!! Argh!!! Oh, I also applied the thread anti-seize on the new plugs to avoid any future probs.
Could you just remove the grommet, loosen all 10 plugs, then replace the grommet and spin them? That way you don't have to keep switching back and forth.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
Could you just remove the grommet, loosen all 10 plugs, then replace the grommet and spin them? That way you don't have to keep switching back and forth.
He might be polish :)

I'm polish so I can say that.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts