BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
What happens when you down or up shift 2 gears? Isn't it supposed to plan one up or down, not two, thus I'd think it'd be a bit slower getting the gear. Just curious. See if you can confuse the gearbox. With SMG it sometimes seems confused when left to its own accord, but when I'm changing, no matter what I'm doing it gets the gear I want, single shifts, double shifts, up then back down two (mistake shift) - it seems to always get there regardless.

oops...moving text to other post.

·
Registered
150 Posts
gustav, i would like to know if it will be simple enough that my wife(a non stick driver) can operate it. thanks!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Just tell us whatever you want haha

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drove it and have 30-40 minutes of recording.However it is difficult to explain with video, you must ride in one or drive one to get the sense of it. It's a great technology, with supersmooth gearchanges when you want them to be and a slight bump if you want it there. In D1 and D2 your only hint of a changed gear is looking at the RPM counter falling. In D5 and S3, S4 and S5 they are noticble but never any necksnapping a'la SMGIII. However in all cases they feel faster than SMG III. The technology it is a step forward, definetly: you never thnk twice about it, it's a seemless shifting technology that is really like something you never driven before. Just works and superquic: like driving Grand Turismo computergame. Video coming tommorrow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts