BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to get something that will not leave swirl marks or fine scratches on my car when i get it washed. i was thinking or purchasing a sheep skin chammy/chamois for the job. someone mentioned getting a microfiber cloth as well. what do you use?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Microfiber dry towel its the best thing ever invented. You should be able to pick one up anywhere automotive products are sold.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Microfiber dry towel its the best thing ever invented. You should be able to pick one up anywhere automotive products are sold.
So if you wash your car and then the next day it picks up a coating of dust, you can use these to wipes them off? Wouldn't that scratch it?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Swirl marks are pretty unavoidable.....I had a killer detail done on my TT about six months back..eliminated almost all swirls.....I bought a spotless soft water system and have only used it since that detail. So air drying only. That means the only thing that has touched my car is the sheepskin mitt when soaping it up....and I have swirls again...

Reactions: Carl Lassiter

·
Registered
240 Posts
So if you wash your car and then the next day it picks up a coating of dust, you can use these to wipes them off? Wouldn't that scratch it?

I would'nt recommend you wiping your car off with this towel unless it is to dry the vehicle. I just realized you have a black car so i feel your pain. I had numerous black vehicles in the past and i have to tell you they are so beautiful when they are clean but a drive around the block and its dirty again! If you do not want to be washing your vehicle everytime it picks up some fine dust then i suggest you go out and buy a california car duster. I have used this on plenty of vehicles and have never had a problem with it, Maybe someone here can educate me as to whether or not this is bad for your finish. I certainly have had no problems using it and have developed no swirls marks as a result of it.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
One of those rubber shammys that goes back into a plastic sealed tube when done...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Swirl marks are pretty unavoidable.....I had a killer detail done on my TT about six months back..eliminated almost all swirls.....I bought a spotless soft water system and have only used it since that detail. So air drying only. That means the only thing that has touched my car is the sheepskin mitt when soaping it up....and I have swirls again...
+1 its very hard not to get swirls on a black car. I did try a diffrent method when washing my vehicles that seem to work pretty good. Instead of sheep skin mitts i began to use microfiber sponge. Its bsically a sponge in the middle covered with little microfiber hairs if you will. Along with that change instead of washing my car in the traditional wax on, wax of method aka circular motions while washing the car i adopted a elongated figure eight approach instead. What i have been told is washing the vehicle in a circular motion rubs the dirt into the paint and of course is more likely to create swirls. And the number one way to avoid swirls is to resist the temptation to clean small spots on the vehicle with anything other than product designed to clean vehicles, ie. napkins, t shirts, regular towels etc.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

NO...absolutely not. You should never run any type of cloth across the surface of your car while it has any type of dirt on it unless you're lubricated with plenty of soap and water.

What I would recommend is a waffle weave microfiber towel for drying purposes only. They're very good at not introducing swirl marks given that you've properly removed the dirty and debris from your car during the wash phase. If you didn't, you're simply rubbing the grime that you didn't remove into your paint. You can also start with a california water blade before using the microfiber towel. Also, there are different qualities of microfiber towels. The ones that you can get at stores like pepboys are not the ones you want.

I would also recommend getting a microfiber wash mitt/sponge. Actually, get two. Always start at the top of the car with one mitt and work your way down. I do the rocker panels and bumpers with another mitt as they usually have more dirt on them and then I never use that mitt to do the rest of the car. Finally, I'll use yet another mitt, though not necessarily microfiber to do the exhaust and wheels.

Another great drying method is to use an electrical leaf blower...it takes less time than the towels and doesn't touch the paint. Just don't use a gas one or you'll be blowing all of the oil and gas particles all over your car...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does anyone know where i can order a microfiber cloth? i don't know of stores i can go to locally here in Chicago. thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also have a black on black car and the swirls are unavoidable specially if you have taken your car a couple of time to a high volume car wash. I just bought some stuff from Zainostore.com
and on the website, it gives you tips on
minimizing the swirls. Essentially you need to clean the surface thouroughly and apply several coats of polish and glaze which should make your car
brand new looking. There was a boardmember from Texas who emailed
the website to me. I just got my Zaino stuff and will apply them this week! Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Let me preface my technique with the following information;

My current M5 is coming up on one year
The car is garaged and sits inside away from the sun probably 90% of the time
I drive about 10,000 miles a year
My previous "Jet Black" enjoyed the same environment
My other "Jet Black" X5, coming up on 1 year also under similar conditions
I wash my cars about once every two weeks, wax once a month or so!:dunno:

That all said, I have developed, in my case, a manner to mitigate swirls (eliminate or not acquire in the first place) by the following process:

Pressure wash (white tip, that provides no direct/concentrated water stream)
Micro fiber mitt(s) -One for the upper half of car and second for lower panels
Compressor air dry
Multiple Micro Fiber towels (not sure that Pep Boys towels are that bad?:confused:)
Dress tires with Armorall or similar

That's it!:7: I realize that this requires the equipment such as a pressure washer and air compressor that many may not have, or want to have.;)

Was at the dealer last week for warranty work and the SA asks: "Who details your car"? "Did you just have it done"? I explained that the car has never been detailed and I washed the car about 3 days earlier. He says he always sees swirl marks on the black cars. I have always prided myself that my cars have have limited paint imperfections:applause: Clarify, aside from the obvious pitting that occurs on the from end. As one said, its apart of car ownership. I do get pissed when I see a mark though. No, I did not get a bra. Same with my previous M3, just paint and prep 2 years down the line, if it gets that bad!:dunno:

Although, I don't have the time like some do to apply the various compounds, pre waxes, waxes, post wax and titanium coat and eye liner, I am happy! Please understand, I do not condemn those who do provide that routine to their cars, since I know how therapeutic the process can be.:M5thumbs:
:cheers:

P.S. I rarely use the quick detailer, except if bird crap or sap.:nono: Otherwise, car gets dirty as a whole and clean as a whole.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Try griotsgarage.com. I've had a lot of great luck with their stuff.
By coincidence, I have their magazine on my desk right now! They do have a lot of good and cool stuff.:M5thumbs:
cherrsagai

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Nothing, just air dry.
+1

If I have enough time, this is what I do. I go to the jet wash and take a lambs wool wash mit with me along with some wheel cleaner and brush.

At the jet wash I start by cleaning the wheels with the wheel cleaner and brush.

Rinse the wheels with the jet wash

Then pre-shampoo the car with the setting on the jet wash

Then use the brush which gives out loads of soap, I do this to get the soap on the car, do not brush the car with it.

I then use the lambs wool wash mit to wash it, and add more shampoo as needed.

Keep going till all the car is washed.

Then rinse with the jet wash

and finally,

Rinse again with the setting that won't leave the water spots, can't remember what it is called.

(yes I do get some strange looks)

I then get in the car and drive back to my house. by the time I'm back, most of the water has gone.

That was the easy part...

If I have no time, I just leave it at that.

now, if I'm short on time and have 30 mins, I just grab the zaino Z8 spray, and use some sonus pollishing cloths to wipe up the spray. This is not ideal as you may get some smear marks in certain light.

If I have an hour or so, I get the porter cable out, and use it to apply and buff off the zaino Z2.

If I have at least a couple of hours, I use the porter cable, but start by removing swirl marks, with some of the sonus polishes. S1-S3. my car is spotless if I do this...

I've tried all sorts of things to dry the car and the paint really does not like to be wiped so the only way not to get any smear or swirl marks is simply not to wipe it.

If there are lots of bugs around in your area, don't drive down a highway, I can either go through town or the by-pass, this time of year I use the by-pass, in summer I'll go through town.

Oh, while I'm at it, I've found the best glass pollish system.
Carlack - Glass Sealing Kit
This is amazing stuff, you get 2 bottles, the pollish to clean it and then a sealant that repells water, it is amazing stuff. The water just flies off.
I saw this video on the site I buy some stuff from and thought it was going to be a bit of a con, but it is just like this.

edit...
Just noticed something, there appears to be people around the world pooring water on their car windows, just search carlack in youtube, seems there are lots of people that are amazed by it...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
does anyone know where i can order a microfiber cloth? i don't know of stores i can go to locally here in Chicago. thanks

I order my stuff through a professional detailer who is local here in Chicago. From what I recall, the lambo dealer in downers has him detail the new cars that come in. Here is his website:
http://www.perfectautofinish.com/

You can have him ship you stuff or you can go pick it up. On the topic of microfiber towels, I get my waffle weave microfibers from him and they are vastly superior to anything that you can get from places like pepboys.

I don't know if he still does this at all, but he used to advertise on the message boards for free instruction on how to properly wash and detail a car at his shop. I went to one and it was very informative. I ended up having him detail my car once, including a claybar and paint sealant and he let me watch the whole process. He sells the all of the products that he uses on his website.

·
Registered
836 Posts
One of those rubber shammys that goes back into a plastic sealed tube when done...
it's a synthetic chamois called the absorber, by far the best for drying the car.
The best way to avoid aging of you're cars finish is to :
Never use soap, my detailer uses only water at light pressure tangential to surface followed by increasing pressure. Then chamois dry with the above . If the car is washed every 4-7 days like this almost nothing ever builds up.
Use a soft synthetic chamois-like absorber
Car should always should bead up when wet (soap removes wax, use it a lot and you have to wax a lot) My car is always silky to the touch like freshly waxed, but I only have to have it done 3-5 times a years due to never using soap
Consult an expert, everything I learned that actually works is from my detailer who's also a friend and patient and is extremely good to me. If you want to do it your self most of the time find a good detailer to use a few times a year for the stuff you don't have (like little vacuum attachments that go inside vents and behind the roof hatch of a vert). Then get advice from an expert that sees you're car and can spot what you're doing wrong.
I've not had a swirl on any of my cars since he's been maintaining them.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts