BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving to look at an original owner 14k mile silver on black 01 M5 tomorrow. I have been looking for an e39 M5 for a little while now and it is extremely important to me that I know the entire history of the car. I have seen a few private cars for sale but I have been left with a question mark on them for one reason or another.

So, it has taken me a while to locate this car. Plus, I want a CPO car. A dealer located it thru a customer of theirs - the customer has 5 or 6 collector exotics and the M5 is one of the group.

The dealer said they would sell it with CPO for $51k or without CPO for $49k.

What do you guys think of these options and the prices.

Steve

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Check the in-service date in order to see when the CPO will expire. It could be an early 01 (i.e. Sep 00 in service date) in which case the CPO warranty would expire in Sep 07 -- hence it is basically a two year warranty from now since the car would already be out of the factory warranty.

I was very lucky in Feb 04 when I stumbled across an original owner 2001, Aug 2001 in service date, with 12k miles. He had just put new Pilot Sports on the car. I was able to buy it for $51k, and that was 15 months ago. I felt it was a pretty good deal although I turned down buying a brand new (12 miles) one at a local dealer who had been holding out for many months to get MSRP. I had them down to $69k even on the car, but I passed on it since it was Imola red...with two other red cars in the garage, I really wanted LeMans blue.

·
Registered
98 Posts
sarends said:
I am driving to look at an original owner 14k mile silver on black 01 M5 tomorrow. I have been looking for an e39 M5 for a little while now and it is extremely important to me that I know the entire history of the car. I have seen a few private cars for sale but I have been left with a question mark on them for one reason or another.

So, it has taken me a while to locate this car. Plus, I want a CPO car. A dealer located it thru a customer of theirs - the customer has 5 or 6 collector exotics and the M5 is one of the group.

The dealer said they would sell it with CPO for $51k or without CPO for $49k.

What do you guys think of these options and the prices.

Steve
I'd have an independent mechanic check it out pretty thoroughly and perhaps have a discussion with the dealer specifically regarding post CPO coverage of the clutch and vanos (known weakpoints). If the dealer tells you something different than the written CPO contract have him put it in writing.

Since the dealer has the name and contact information of the current owner whay not give him or her a call to discuss the vehicle's history?

Good luck, I hope you've found the car you have been waiting for! If all looks okay mechanically, $51,000 is a pretty fair price.

Regards,

Greg :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I paid 53000 for an 01 with 8000 miles 16 months ago cpo'd, so I dont think its a great deal, but I think its a fair deal, but one thing about cars is if you like and are happy with it, then its a good deal. hope this helps, Josh

Remember everything is negotiable

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I paid 58 for an 03 with a cpo 6 months ago
An 02 should be at 51 w/cpo
46 for an 01

Plus or minus a k or so

If you can't wait or need to have a dealer you'll pay for it. That price is the high end of retail.

Find an original owner who needs to sell, find a dealer to cpo it with the deal.

(Someone else will comment, but didn't the rings change in mid year 01...)

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sarends,

I have a 00 M5 with 28K. It is anthracite with black leather and most of the options available in 00. I bought it from the dealer who is a friend, he sold the car new and took in trade for a 645 from the original owner. He called me on this car one year ago as it is a pristine like new m5. I bought it right away.
The car has a cpo warranty with about 2 years left. I am considering selling it because I have too many vehicles. This was a late 00 run and it performs flawlessly and does not use any oil, it has the original tires on it and they are still quite good. If you are interested contact me at [email protected].

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
ard said:
I paid 58 for an 03 with a cpo 6 months ago
An 02 should be at 51 w/cpo
46 for an 01

Plus or minus a k or so

If you can't wait or need to have a dealer you'll pay for it. That price is the high end of retail.

Find an original owner who needs to sell, find a dealer to cpo it with the deal.

(Someone else will comment, but didn't the rings change in mid year 01...)

Good luck
The rings design changed 4/00. As far as the rings changing again mid '01 a possability??? but not really sure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts