BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ~~

I was wondering maybe I should give it a try with this oil ~~ costs $240 for 4liters.....Yeah its crazy. Right now I am using Azip Racing 10W60.

Here are some manufacturer's info on this oil .

"""""""""""""""""
With NASA 165 Epoch-J, we have succeeded in making an improved reciprocating engine oil for cars based on jet engine oil containing polyole-ester + di-ester. And not only that. Epoch-J also contains a fluorocarbon with the smallest coefficient of friction in the world: 0.015.

This material, extremely stable in temperature change from -270 to 600 degrees C, is used as a lubricant where even the slightest miss is intolerable, such as the rotary parts of Apollo vacuum rocket engines.

With these two ingredients, NASA 165 Epoch-J enters inside engines, onto their friction surfaces, where it turns into minute particles of 0.2 micron or smaller that form a strong, smooth coating.

It can also lubricate valve seats and other areas around the engine head that ordinary oil cannot lubricate, thus providing care to the engine while, at the same time, improving operation of the engine oil itself.
In short, Epoch-J elicits an engine's full potential under any conditions.
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Problem with this oil is that , they do not have 10w 60. only 5W 40.

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hi guys ~~

I was wondering maybe I should give it a try with this oil ~~ costs $240 for 4liters.....Yeah its crazy. Right now I am using Azip Racing 10W60.

Here are some manufacturer's info on this oil .

"""""""""""""""""
With NASA 165 Epoch-J, we have succeeded in making an improved reciprocating engine oil for cars based on jet engine oil containing polyole-ester + di-ester. And not only that. Epoch-J also contains a fluorocarbon with the smallest coefficient of friction in the world: 0.015.

This material, extremely stable in temperature change from -270 to 600 degrees C, is used as a lubricant where even the slightest miss is intolerable, such as the rotary parts of Apollo vacuum rocket engines.

With these two ingredients, NASA 165 Epoch-J enters inside engines, onto their friction surfaces, where it turns into minute particles of 0.2 micron or smaller that form a strong, smooth coating.

It can also lubricate valve seats and other areas around the engine head that ordinary oil cannot lubricate, thus providing care to the engine while, at the same time, improving operation of the engine oil itself.
In short, Epoch-J elicits an engine's full potential under any conditions.
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Problem with this oil is that , they do not have 10w 60. only 5W 40.
Alot of money but then again if it does what it says on the tin...it might be a good preventative measure!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wonder how long it stays at those properties, if much longer than tws may work out at a better oil for less (relative) money.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wonder how long it stays at those properties, if much longer than tws may work out at a better oil for less (relative) money.
thats a good point. Maybe i should be the test subject to find out maybe??haha.
I will ask the distributor and see what they say about the mileage

·
4,362 Posts
thats a good point. Maybe i should be the test subject to find out maybe??haha.
I will ask the distributor and see what they say about the mileage
do you have anywhere to send the oil to get it tested before and after you use it?

i think the company is Swedish or Dutch (Netherlands):
Epoch

no big deal that it's 5w40 - just don't track the car

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I would be careful with ester based oils in that engine.

There is a good chance gaskets and seals do not like that kind of oil...

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,243 Posts
Good way to test it:

Get 20 brand new M5 motors from the same build-batch, put them all on an engine dyno.
In 10 engines put this oil, in the other 10 put Castrol.
Run all 20 at full throttle until they fail, and see which ones fail first on average.

Wouldn't that be a cool test.

I want some, but 8 quarts @ $500 is somewhat of a rape case.
On other hand you can try to justify it to someone that you are using same oil in M5 as the space shuttle, and is made by NASA :D

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
HI ~ vantaam ~ thank you for your thoughts ~ Could you explain just a bit more ~~ ???

Ester oils have the habit to make the rubber seals swell,depending if it is a true ester oil or a so called "ester-hybrid"(I know,this is not the correct chemistry term,but easier to explain...).An "ester-hybrid" oil has about 20% synthetic PAO oil in it,to prevent the seals from swell...

So if it is pure ester oil,do not use it.If it is a "hybrid",it is similar to what Redline offers for way less money...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ester oils have the habit to make the rubber seals swell,depending if it is a true ester oil or a so called "ester-hybrid"(I know,this is not the correct chemistry term,but easier to explain...).An "ester-hybrid" oil has about 20% synthetic PAO oil in it,to prevent the seals from swell...

So if it is pure ester oil,do not use it.If it is a "hybrid",it is similar to what Redline offers for way less money...

WOW ~~!!! What a knowledge!!.. Thanks for the explanation.!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts