BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
its no E55 in terms of looks, but its definitely a big step forward. If it wasnt for the RS6, E55, M5 or Quattroporte id consider one. Or two seeing as theyre so cheap. :D Price will definitely be the deciding factor in selling these

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If I lived in the US I might be looking out for one, but since I'm from Europe I'll just stick with a German car. I must admit that the looks aren't bad at all and the specs aren't either.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
zzzzz the exterior look from the front is nice and aggressive. The wheels are blah. The sides are, ehhh, ok. The rear is hideous looking. The rear could be mistaken for the front. Big lights. Pointy. The interior is horrible as well. Cheap feeling materials/textures. It just didn't do it for me so I bought a CPO M5. But as said above, it's a big step forward for GM and American car manufacturers.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The picture of that Cadillac is the STS-V, not the CTS-V. The STS-V has a new six speed automatic transmission with a supercharged Northstar V-8. It was tested at the Ring and at...

"...General Motors' new 2.9-mile Milford Road Course, a.k.a. the Lutzring. (GM product guru Robert Lutz wrote the $5 million check for the facility, which opened this spring.) Corvette engineer Mike Neal did an excellent job of distilling the essence of some of the world's most challenging race circuits, especially Germany's Nürburgring, into this ribbon of whoops, hollers, and deliciously long straightaways. No finer place exists on the continent for studying supercar strengths and shortcomings."

-above quote taken from an "Automobile" comparison of the 911 Carrera S vs. Corvette Z51

http://automobilemag.com/reviews/coupes/0412_corvette_911/index.html

The STS-V and the CTS-V look best from the side. The CTS-V's interior needs to be upgraded with higher-quality plastics and some more aluminum trim. I doubt the red and black interior of the STS-V in pics I've seen will make it to market for good reason.

One awesome thing about the CTS-V is that it is raced in the Speed World Challenge and in Grand-Am.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I personally dont really like the Art & Science design theme Caddy is doing, but--- they are doing something right by me- I see them as legitimate options now and they were not that before.

But as to the CTS-V design- I don't care for it because the CTS is a smooth and sophisticated variant of the Art & Science theme and on the V they've gone and made it a little too boy racerish so when I look at it, it takes on a kind of bad after-market look. Thats just my 2 cents. I am sure the car will be a good value when judged against the pricier European brands.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
But as to the CTS-V design- I don't care for it because the CTS is a smooth and sophisticated variant of the Art & Science theme and on the V they've gone and made it a little too boy racerish so when I look at it, it takes on a kind of bad after-market look. Thats just my 2 cents. I am sure the car will be a good value when judged against the pricier European brands.
Funny, my thoughts are the opposite. The base CTS is just ugly as hell. The CTS-V fixes a lot of what's wrong with the base car - the wheels, the front bumper, the grille are very tasteful. That grille is a work of art when you see it in person.

Overall impressions of the CTS-V - it's a tremendous driving experience and a bargain at the price (and you can find two-month-old ex-GM corporate cars for not much over $40K.)

Oddly - it being a Cadillac and all - it's about the only M5-competitor that can match or beat the M5 for sheer sport-feel. In some respects it's a better driving experience than a stock E39 M5 - the steering is crisper, the brakes are far better, and the stability control has driver-selectable modes that stay out of your way unless you've got the rear end hung out thirty degrees - the ride quality is comparable and the on-board electronics are better.

Downside - the material quality certainly isn't up to BMW spec, outward visibility over those tall front fenders isn't as good, no backup sensor available, and the pedal parking brake is wrong for a manual-transmission car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts