BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey M5 Brothers

I was just wanting to ask every one what do you think about putting a bottle of that STP fuel injector cleaner or STP fuel system its a small bottle that you put in your gastank mostly when you have a full tank... Its suppose to clean the fuel system Im not too sure about it and also Im not to sure about putting it though our V10's putting it though a ford f150 is one thing but putting it though our high performance BMW M5's V10s is antnor I was just wondering if you guys think its safe to put a bottle though our systems or what your thoughts where on it... Do you think its safe... Do you think it will work... Do you think it will screw up our systems or our computer or sensors... let me know

Of course this is for all fuel system cleaners and fuel injector cleaners not just STP...
I just used that STP one as an example!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I use a bottle of Techron by Chevron every 10,000 miles or so. I have heard, but not verified, that techron is the exact same stuff sold at the BMW dealership but with a different label. I have used it in all my cars.

Reactions: PRM5 and Wolfjurgen

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only use V-power aswell, I love the airmiles lol...
So the verdict is that yes I should be putting cleaners in the gas tank for the fuel injectors and fuel system to help avoid issues down the road??
Thanks for all your help every one I really love this board...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
No sense in really using any of those fuel cleaners you see from Autozone and such.

The difference between the Techron cleaner in the fuel you get from Chevron and the one you buy over the counter at the dealer for example, is that the fuel is already treated with it but at a lower concentration so it would take more fuel fill ups to get the same cleaning effect as a small Techron bottle sold over the counter.

Otherwise yes, it is the same cleaner. Don't bother with any cleaner just use good fuel and if you do want to use a cleaner just use a Techron bottle from the dealer every oil change.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I only use Chevron so I guess no need for additional additives.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I use Techron, Seafoam, and BG44K. Not all at the same time though. Well, kind of, as when I first bought this car I threw in a bottle of Techron AND Seafoam at the same time to see what would happen (rolling dice). Nothing happened. Anyway, its a good maintenance item to add to your routine during oil changes. A little peace of mind knowing your little F1 motor is tip top for when that Z06 comes rolling up to you :M5rev:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I wouldn't put seam foam in the oil in the engines. Oil changes at 5k is good enough, remember oil has cleaning agents and you dont want seam foam in your vanos, you change the oil and its still there since the vanos isnt drained during an oil change.

A dirty old cummins or duramax yes.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I used seafoam in the oil of my engine and auto tranny in my E46. Didn't see any difference in the engine but REALLY noticed a big difference in the tranny. Much smoother shifting and gear engagements. Sold her with 167,000 miles and was still shifting great. NOW, that being said, I would not do it in this car though. Too much at stake. Only use in the gas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts