BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about removing my OEM cats and replacing the left and right side with cat bypass pipes - they are basically two T304 stainless steel pipes that'll replace the pipe from the headers to my X-pipe. Basically, the exhaust will be open from the headers back. The pre- & post- O2 sensors will still be in place.

My only concern at this moment is torque loss down low, but that torque will come back with software and it will gain a good deal of power on WOT and in the upper RPM range.

I just don't want to lose a great deal of down low grunt. I figure with the PC 93, that will take care of that.

Thoughts? Experiences?

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
if you have stock exhaust manifold you will not loose to anything noticable down low. After speaking with a few guys in the business of building e39 monsters (D/A Dinan) I do not think you will gain more than 3-5whp running without cats and you will get a check engine light for the cats inefficiantcy.

Remember dinans S-3 runs through the stock cats. That is what 600+ through the cats on a boosted application. Like I said 3-5 whp i think is all you will see. Maybe as much as 10whp but at the expense of what????

I am goign to be running random tech race cats and wi most likely see the same gain you would runing no cats but I will retain my emissions.

Ryan

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
if you have stock exhaust manifold you will not loose to anything noticable down low. After speaking with a few guys in the business of building e39 monsters (D/A Dinan) I do not think you will gain more than 3-5whp running without cats and you will get a check engine light for the cats inefficiantcy.

Remember dinans S-3 runs through the stock cats. That is what 600+ through the cats on a boosted application. Like I said 3-5 whp i think is all you will see. Maybe as much as 10whp but at the expense of what????

I am goign to be running random tech race cats and wi most likely see the same gain you would runing no cats but I will retain my emissions.

Ryan
My main concern is that I don't want to lose any torque down low, and I have heard that deleting the cats will cause this.

I plan to do the PC software along with deleting my cats, so hopefully the ECU will adjust and I will get some added flow in the exhaust.

I do not expect much gains, if at all, but my cats are beginning to foul out, so I have been searching for some alternatives.

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any other opinions? thanks..

Again, I plan to do custom software with the deleted cats.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd like to know if you can delete the cats and not run software with it, will the car still run fine and operate normally?

Granted, there will be a SES light, but that will be taken care of when I actually get software.

For now, can I delete my cats without getting upgraded software? Will the car run like before after deleting the cats and stock software???

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts