BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was driving home tonight in my E46 M3 and someone in a Boxster S was clearly itching to race me. I declined. My view is that racing on city streets is dangerous and stupid. The consequences of something going wrong are just too serious. If I wanted to race someone, I'd go to the track and do it there.

For those on the board who have taken delivery of their beasts, have you encountered this situation? How have you reacted?

Best regards,

·
Registered
122 Posts
Spiroman said:
I was driving home tonight in my E46 M3 and someone in a Boxster S was clearly itching to race me. I declined. My view is that racing on city streets is dangerous and stupid. The consequences of something going wrong are just too serious. If I wanted to race someone, I'd go to the track and do it there.

For those on the board who have taken delivery of their beasts, have you encountered this situation? How have you reacted?

Best regards,
Yep. I blow them off!!;)

To be honest, it depends on the place, time and mood. Most of the time I would refrain racing on the road but if the speed demon takes over and conditions aren't too bad, she's on. Mostly, though, try and keep in on the racetrack or organised rally or race. Track is the safest with armco fencing, run offs etc. Rallys being on normal roads whilst still safer than racing on unclosed roads with other traffic, still present lots of other hazards like trees, drop offs, walls of stone etc.

But let's face it, at the end of the day, we all like that danger rush. Some of us more than others.

·
Registered
122 Posts
beamaphile said:
Yep. I blow them off!!;)

To be honest, it depends on the place, time and mood. Most of the time I would refrain racing on the road but if the speed demon takes over and conditions aren't too bad, she's on. Mostly, though, try and keep in on the racetrack or organised rally or race. Track is the safest with armco fencing, run offs etc. Rallys being on normal roads whilst still safer than racing on unclosed roads with other traffic, still present lots of other hazards like trees, drop offs, walls of stone etc.

But let's face it, at the end of the day, we all like that danger rush. Some of us more than others.
By the way, haven't taken delivery of the new beast, that's next week.
Been doing that in my E34 and somehow, I don't think my philosophy will change with the E60.:) In fact, I've got a sneaking suspicion the speed demon might become more prevalent.:hihi:

·
Registered
2009 M6 Coupe 24000 miles Saphire Black
1,797 Posts
Spiroman said:

Best regards,
Define racing.

If this was at a light and we had clear road ahead I wold have gone for it just for the fun of it.

I do not continue to race anyone at high speed unless we are talking about highway, 2 lane and no traffic. Racestories I have read about here that involves passing cars left and right is just plain stupidity. the most stupide driver always "win" this kind of things, or he get killed or kill someone else.

That I NEVER do,but a friendly Redlight GP is always fun.....

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Yup - it's a fool who tries to race an M5 or B5 in anything short of a top-end Ferrari or Lambo anyway...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
hythe said:
Yup - it's a fool who tries to race an M5 or B5 in anything short of a top-end Ferrari or Lambo anyway...
or he just whant to see the thing take of, I`ll race a Koenigsegg if I get the chanche.....just to see and hear the monster fire up....

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
hal2000 said:
Or they want to race you when you have your children in the back.

No thainks

ouich ouich

I am guilty as charged in that one....

Here is a copy of a post I wrote 3 August 2001.

------------------------
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7861&highlight=Coupe

Hi all.

On my way home form town today I ended up behind a Honda CBR 600 F 2000 mod. Wide rear tire and aftermarked exhoust but nothing spectacular. It was 2 persones on the bike.
Ok racing was not on my mind since the trafic was heavy and my daughter was in the car with me. All of a sudden all trafic disapered and the light turned red. So there we where, side by side, wide open and empty 3 lane road in front of us, no crossing roads so perfect for some fun exept we both had passengers.
We looked at each other and I noticed he said something to his passenger that seemd to hold on a bit tighter. Green light I left at 60-70 % since I was not sure he would go and I would not like to look like an idiot burning rubber of the line all alone. Since my window was open and he was at my rear tire I heard he hit it. A split second later I did the same. I could hear his engine reving at full power and changing into his second at app 60 mph at that time I hit 3rd and he was clearly behind, its not way in hell he could have passed me if we had continued.
Before some of you are starting to scream BS, I know he was not in his sweetspot when we nailed it and that he had a passenger that was not the smalles girl I have seen, but it was a clear victory and he realy tried to take me. It was probably a case of big underestimation on his part. At least it made me happy.... We did not go any faster than 65-70 mph ( the limit was 60) so no hazard was involved, just plain fast aceleration, fun as hell.
The cars behind also liked the entertainment cause they where honking the horn at giving me the thumbs up and looked almost as suprised as the bike rider.
I smiled all the way home, the joy of victory was chrushed the moment I sat foot in my house and my 2.5 year old daughter screamed with a big smile to my wife " mamy, dad outrun a motorbike"
She was not impressed, it did not help anything to say that I did not go over max speed limit and it was not trafic and it was safe and.. and... and.

So for you guys wanting to hit me cause I had some fun with my daughter in the car, no need I already got it from the boss.....
Well just wanted to share...
--------------

·
Registered
646 Posts
I pick my battles wisely. I never mess with motorcycles. If they dump...they're dead. I don't mess with punks in their souped up Soobies and Mitsubishis..there is just to many of them in SoCal and they take to many risks. If the conditions are right (no traffic and/or open freeway) and the opponent is worthy however (Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc.) I will play pretty hard. I actually had a run in with Jay Leno last year one Sunday morning on the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu. He toyed with me and my E39 M5 for a while and then blasted off. The Ferrari he was driving was too much for me.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I press hard on the long narrow pedal on the right...:byee55amg

·
Registered
92 Posts
I race almost always when I have a chance. I know, I know... It's bad, it's dangerous, blah blah... But I love it and I just can't resist the temptation:wroom: :M5launch: :p

·
Registered
134 Posts
In my younger days, I would take the challenges at the drop of a dime.

Now, especially having been involved in performance driving schools for the last 9 years and an instructor for the last 5 of those years, I just let them go on without me.

And if I have an itch to take the challenge, I just stuff it into this ball deep down inside and wait until I'm at the track and let it all hang out! But being an instructor has a downside too: I'm supposed to be well behaved at all times to set a good example! ouich

·
Registered
150 Posts
Street racing was very cool at age 16 or so when my friends and I didn't know any better. Now that I have kids it is the last thing on my mind. It seems that the more I race on tracks, the slower I go on the street. The risk/reward seems so out of balance to me.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'll do a race from lights every now and then when someone wants to go. Depending on the road I might only make it up to the speed limit (usually 80km/h) or a little over (usually 80km/h). But I'd only ever do it on roads I know well. The dude who's already going double the speed limit who wants a go, I just let sail on by...

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
In general I agree, let it go, but if the road ahead is all clear and its really just a test of acceleration then I may give it a go until I deem the speed fast enough. Truth is cars are so fast now.... I had a fun experience with my E39 vs a last gen E55. I could pull away- but it was closer than I thought!

·
Registered
185 Posts
riaz said:
Most of the time I try and ignore it but sometimes you just cant resist;
In the words of "Clarkson" dont ven try it... And if they do burn their A*se...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts