BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice. We have inherited dad's old E34 M5. It's an awesome car that needs work. 90,000 miles on it and I think there are 60,000 on the Dianan upgrades. I am still looking for the paperwork and receipts to prove when/where the upgrades were done. Interior is showing some where. It has been parked since about 2006 until January 2020 we fired it up(carefully of course). It is running a little rough and I got a little electric shock while touching the block while it was running which led me to believe there was a spark leak. New set of ignition wires cost around $500 which leads me to my dilemma. Do we sell "as is" as a project car or start spending money/time to at least identify the extent of all known issues before we sell. If we fix it up will it be so much fun to drive that we can't bring ourselves to sell it? Located in the Pacific Northwest United States. If anyone can recommend a good shop that has experience with these engines let me know! I would like to have a real solid professional that knows what they're doing look it over.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fathers passing. He must have been a cool guy to have a car like this. Because it is inherently a special car and it belonged to your father I would absolutely keep it.
If the internials are solid I would just chip away at the peripheral stuff. Any good independent BMW mechanic can work on it or is it possible to do it your self? Most likely everything you will need to know is on a forum or youtube. God luck, such a neat car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree. This is a keeper. Slowly work away on all the issues, and one day when you have them all sorted - sell it if you still want to.

don’t let anyone lowball you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where are you in the PNW?

My brother is a tech in southern Oregon. He’s by far the best BMW tech in the state, super friendly, extremely honest, and a BMW enthusiast himself. He was a master tech at BMW for 10 years but he left corporate BMW because of the corruption and dishonest business practices.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in central Washington and ideally I could find a mechanic in the seattle area. Thanks for the encouragement. I am intimidated by all the potential issues. My brother and I spent lots of time working on cars with dad when we were in high school but we don't have a surplus of time anymore. Dad was smart enough to never let me drive this thing unsupervised...you knew I would have gone out and done something stupid! Seems to me like they aren't losing their value and there's no need to be in a hurry to sell. I'm looking for an enthusiast mechanic for sure.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Look up DMI Auto Care in Seattle. Tell him Jed sent you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts