BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got H&R springs installed. What did you guys do with your stock springs? Is it worth keeping them to swap them back when you turn in the car?

·
Registered
915 Posts
btw, i was just kidding in my last post.

keep them, you'll need them when you want to sell your car/return your lease... and you can probably resell the H&R later. :applause:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks tightie.
For a second, I thought hmmm on your first comment. :blabla:
Car looks 1000 times better now.
On a side note...
Maybe its me, but the SMG clunk seems a bit more pronounced.

·
Registered
915 Posts
do a SMG reset.. go 20-35mph put the car in neutral, pull both paddles for 3 seconds and let it go. pop the car back into drive and have fun.

hopefully you'll be happy with your drop, i just made myself get coilovers.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This morning I didnt hear the SMG clunk, but I went ahead and reset it anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
There has been numerous post on the issue of H&R springs affect on the SMG.

SMG failure usally occurs within 1,000 miles around the same time your car runs out of oil.

No problem, as you refill the oil, just put in a new SMG. The dealer does not do top offs for the oil (unless you have a special relationship with your SA), but they do provide new SMG's, however, its a pain to get an appointment, etc.

I recommend to buy a case of oil and a couple of SMG Transmissions to swap out on your own. Should only take 30-40 hours and a pair of vice grips.

Of course, dump the H&R's and get Eibach's and no problems. Including oil consumption!

This post is all Josh's fault!ouich
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Seriously, when changing spring, you need to reset SMG.:confused: I always have assumption that SMG reset when changing wheel/tire.

:nono: Baller, don't even think about answer my SERIOUS question:hihi:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Kwan, looking forward to seeing your M5 at the Houston meet if I can make it.

Give me your old springs so I can weld them to my existing springs for a lifted M5. The lowering thing is so yesterday...now it's about riding dirty (ok I know, too much MTV or whatever). With the addition of your springs, I hope to fit 30" rimz.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice.
My friend with a stock M5 drove my car yesterday and he could definately notice the increase in hp and throttle response from the mods I've done.
The info I've gotten from here has sure helped in going the right direction.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Kwan, what performance mods do you have? I hope to bring my car down to Houston one weekend to meet up with you guys!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Q,
Its in my sig above (first post).
I think the combination of pulleys, scoops & BMC filter, and secondary cat delete have given me a pretty even powerband improvement.

Kwan, what performance mods do you have? I hope to bring my car down to Houston one weekend to meet up with you guys!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
kept them and gave them to new owner upon sale.

basically kept all stock parts except for the hideous stock exhaust that was huge and ugly and weighed a lot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts