BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

7921 - 7940 of 7956 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
The real question, other than all of it, is how much boost are you running? I know Peter's a bad influence and all, but chewing up Al plenums is impressive...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mgdmb - 20psi. Yeah, bad Peter.
Nfs021 - my original top half is plastic, I moved to a pre-facelift aluminum
Biggrif - I'd be open to partnering with you on this. Yesterday I posted here on the board seeking knowledge of a shop who could CNC a 6061 aluminum top half for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mgdmb - 20psi. Yeah, bad Peter.
Nfs021 - my original top half is plastic, I moved to a pre-facelift aluminum
Biggrif - I'd be open to partnering with you on this. Yesterday I posted here on the board seeking knowledge of a shop who could CNC a 6061 aluminum top half for me.

i have a carbon lid in prototype and it has an aluminium core as it needs mounting points anyway. Looking at the carbon intake tubes as well (but for NA cars) and just sorting carbon wings/fenders. Have made a lot of parts in the past and having contacts in F1 helps.

·
Registered
171 Posts

full stoptech trophy setup. Even with bigger rotor and 6 piston caliper the fronts are only 27.5 lbs (rotor and caliper) vs 40lbs for stock US. Went with 2 piston rears so I could keep stock wheels, and I hate spacers.

2 piece caliper much stronger than monoblocks, and all the piston volumes are correct for the car (because the set is actually designed for the M5).

·
Registered
220 Posts
full stoptech trophy setup. Even with bigger rotor and 6 piston caliper the fronts are only 27.5 lbs (rotor and caliper) vs 40lbs for stock US. Went with 2 piston rears so I could keep stock wheels, and I hate spacers.

2 piece caliper much stronger than monoblocks, and all the piston volumes are correct for the car (because the set is actually designed for the M5).
Those look fantastic. Great job. Let us know how you like them.

I have a full set on order. I can't wait to receive them!

Pat Arnold

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
They're amazing. I have the ST-60s front and ST-40s rear, sitting under a full set of Dinan rears. The unsprung weight difference is amazing, and it's sublime on track...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I’m hoping this stops me from hot spotting front rotors anymore, plus my favorite thing to lose on a car is unsprung weight, even if the gain in handling, ride and performance is all in my head (it’s not) :)

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
If you hot spot them, you either didn't break them in correctly or have the wrong pads. I've had mine since 04.14, I'm on my 2nd set of rotors. 4500-5000 track miles, along with DD duty too. Swap pads if you track, it's easy. If you don't track, CarboTech 1521s or AX-6s...

There are other reasons it could happen too, but that's suspension / arms / bearings at that point

·
Registered
171 Posts
Those look fantastic. Great job. Let us know how you like them.

I have a full set on order. I can't wait to receive them!

Pat Arnold
Word of warning on the STR-60- documentation with them says to torque the nuts on the front bracket to 43 ft/lbs, don’t do that- it’s actually 32, and Dave Zeckhausen recommends 24. 43 ft lbs will pull the studs out of the brackets (ask me how I know...). Luckily they admitted fault and sent me a new pair of them, even though only one pulled.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I’ve only been doing it to Zimmerman floating rotors running mild track pads (twice now, both times at NHIS). Really I should have just stopped running the zimmermans, as it never happened with the stock rotor, buuuut it seemed like such good justification to spend the $ on the stoptechs :)

7921 - 7940 of 7956 Posts