BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a defect in the inner side of one of my alloys (explaining my slow air loss problem) and a reburb shop near me will be taking all 4 for correction and refurb tomorrow - no point doing one.

I told them just paint it gloss black as I have put the OEM BMW Performance gloss black grill and painted the chrome parts of the side grill gloss as well - my idea was match it all up I guess.

Now I am not sure - any ideas as to the best combo here with my Silverstone II baby blue paint - I guess options are:
- leave as is - silver
- gloss black
- grey/anthracite look
- shadow chrome look
- think they can do most colours if you warn them in advance.

The shop can do diamond cutting as well but dont want that look.

Not the performance mod I was hoping to spend time and money on or bother you guys with - this was money going towards the exhaust - but I would not want this defect to cause an issue when I am pushing 180mph+ on a track - but hey might as look good while going fast.

ANY SUGGESTIONS...ELSE ITS GLOSS BLACK?:dunno:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I only picked up on that looking at other cars with anthacite and it seems to work - looking for pics to compare this with other finishes now - so far only have this with black gloss wheels matching my car...

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think you guys are right and its why I asked - gloss black didn't sit right for some reason - a lighter colour highlights the wheel whereas black seems to look like...well.....like you have steel wheels and your plastic covers have fallen off.

Heres a linkback and pic for the closest same colour car with gloss black grills as well...I am now heading towards a gloss anthacite OEM 166 Wheel.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/97853-racs-305s-h-rs-baby.html

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm getting my wheels refinished in anthracite which I think would look awesome on IB. +1 for anthracite!

Reactions: potassium

·
Registered
269 Posts
I definitely prefer to leave as is - silver. These rims look best in silver. If I would change the rims I would consider in anthracite finished. :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I definitely prefer to leave as is - silver. These rims look best in silver. If I would change the rims I would consider in anthracite finished. :M5launch:
+ 1. I prefer original, but you can go dark when your car body paint is a light color like silver.

Reactions: potassium

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all replies - after comparisons at the wheel shop I am gonna disappoint you all and go with the gloss black - just has that aggressive look once I look at the car as a whole.

Will post pics and shop details once done - they have just said they will do same day turnaround but lets see the final outcome and of course the quality of the wheels.

Kamal

·
Registered
317 Posts
Those 305's are nice. I've also been swaying between getting my original M5 Alloys powdercoated black, or a set of LM's with black centres. I think the LM option will win, and i'll just refurbish the M5 alloys to original spec to have as spares.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Nice M5! I am going to powder-coat my M5 wheels gloss black next week.
You should also consider dark gunmetal. I have the Advan RS wheels in dark gunmetal on my Nissan 350Z and they look really nice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts