BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang;

265,000 miles on the beast. Nothing's been done on the drive train (not even the clutch).

Got a bang or clunk coming out of the rear going over/in to pot holes.
Replaced the struts and all consumable items thinking it was that.
Have replaced control arms and rear ball joints (guide links remain original)

Went under car today to inspect subframe mounts and welds
Subframe welds appear excellent - spent significant amount of time verifying any/ all common breakage points are OK.
Bushings at the differential appear great with no cracking and the 4 subframe bushing appear, well, OK though at 265K no doubt they're a possible prime contributor to said noise....

What caught my eye is in the image below where the heat shield appears to have at one point been contacted by the nose bushing housing (#6 is the bushing the inserts into housing that appears to be making contact).

Reading up on similar 'clunk' threads, folks point to the nose bushing (#6) however, it looks OK with no movement evident.

OK 'clunk' guys, what do you think is going on here?
TIA

·
Registered
470 Posts
I will have to say, that is an impressive number of miles on an original clutch, flat out impressive.

You might consider checking to see the condition of your rear sway bar mounts and the links involved in the sway bar. When mine went it squeaked over bumps but I could see it also banging depending on how it failed.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Maybe check all of subframe bushings? If they were worn out, it could cause some movement under stress hitting over the potholes.

Reactions: vics

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was thinking the same thing - the 4 subframe mounts - just a little flex moves that front diff mount forward into the shield. What is also likely - the shield moves and hits the mount?
If you don't see witness marks on the mount - then I would point towards something getting flung up or stuck. The muffler mount at the bottom of the pic looks like a "clean" spot is in-line with the mark. Maybe a small twig or similar was caught and eventually grabbed that? Hard to tell. I'd first look to see a witness mark on the diff mount. If a witness mark,(meaning you can see where it might have touched), then check out your subframe bushings. Otherwise, doesn't appear to be something to be too worried about but do keep an eye on. Maybe bend it back and check later to see if it is creased again?
Also - I can't respond to your PM. If you PM your email, I can respond.
-Bobby

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
I have a thumping sound as well, but I replaced subframe bushings, diff and control arms.... Hmmmm

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: vics

·
Registered
308 Posts
Impressive # of miles. That shield is soft, this could be a result of road Debris. If you don't see any marks on other parts, I would not worry. It does not seem new, or from a repeated impact / rubbing issue.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys - going with the 4 subframe bushings and picked up 4 of the Lemforder units. ($26 each from FCP Euro) - Part # 33311091422

Also picked up the Kommen bushing removal tool as pictured here and for sale when I've completed the job.
$200 + shipping is a good deal I figure. Shoot me a PM or email if interested. Will place it in for sale forum as well.
vicsalemme at gmail

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
+1 on checking your rear swaybar bushings and links!

Mine did that and it was a broken swaybar bushing home depot looking clamp.. Replaced it with some nice red ones and replaced my sway bar with a dinan one..
Been out of the game so I forgot what company and what the part was even called

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
+1 on checking your rear swaybar bushings and links!

Mine did that and it was a broken swaybar bushing home depot looking clamp.. Replaced it with some nice red ones and replaced my sway bar with a dinan one..
Been out of the game so I forgot what company and what the part was even called
Was it red beast power brackets?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Was it red beast power brackets?
Yes that's what it was! BeastPower brackets.. New sway bar links also but I don't think I went with the power flex bushings I think I kept the bushings OE..

Edit: I did get the powerflex bushings. I remember now lol

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
i would check the exhaust mount in the middle of the veichle for the silencer \ x pipe very common if they are orange they are original if there black they have been updated. if you have the orange ones when you look at them compared to the new style you will realize the stops are alot longer on the new style so when they compress with the weight of the exhaust its rubber on rubber supporting the middle of the exhaust and not the metal cross brace when the orange ones fail

1 - 13 of 13 Posts