BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

461 - 474 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
I strictly use TWS. July 2000 build with 130k miles I drive normally.. sometimes spiritedly and I track several times a year. I change oil every 7500 miles. I don't use a drop of oil. I also have a 2003 3.0l Z4 and a 2003 3.0l X5. Neither one of them uses a drop of oil either. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am just lucky in this regard?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know I'm replying to an old post and oil seems to be a controversial topic. To me BMW is a big dissappointment in their recommendations. Sort of a cop out, in addition I believe they only recommend warranty oil to get the break in and through warranty coverage. I have a 2001 M5 70,000 miles. Have run a wide array of oil brands and weights. But settled on M1 040 about 6 or 7 years ago when it was recommended by Mobil for the E39M5 Its no longer recommended. But I have stayed with it because its the factory fill in my Porsche 911TT and my wifes Mercedes ( high performance engines) and has served me well with no oil usage. The other consideration are that lubricants are so much better today than almost 20 years ago when these cars were produced. I live in Houston, Texas with mild winters and hot summers. My only concern was the 0WT at start up seems thin but I believe the 40 is about right after warm up. I put most of my mileage on the car when it was called to duty to drive me to the office for a few years. But mostly it has been used for short drives and is usually parked for a week at a time since I retired. I only change my oil on a annual basis < 1000 miles, now but before it was every 3000 miles when driving to work. Its my belief that with todays oil any reputable brand and within a wide vicosity= > 30 wt. range will work. Its all dependant on the the climate you drive in and the oil change intervals for normal driving.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I know I'm replying to an old post and oil seems to be a controversial topic. To me BMW is a big dissappointment in their recommendations. Sort of a cop out, in addition I believe they only recommend warranty oil to get the break in and through warranty coverage. I have a 2001 M5 70,000 miles. Have run a wide array of oil brands and weights. But settled on M1 040 about 6 or 7 years ago when it was recommended by Mobil for the E39M5 Its no longer recommended. But I have stayed with it because its the factory fill in my Porsche 911TT and my wifes Mercedes ( high performance engines) and has served me well with no oil usage. The other consideration are that lubricants are so much better today than almost 20 years ago when these cars were produced. I live in Houston, Texas with mild winters and hot summers. My only concern was the 0WT at start up seems thin but I believe the 40 is about right after warm up. I put most of my mileage on the car when it was called to duty to drive me to the office for a few years. But mostly it has been used for short drives and is usually parked for a week at a time since I retired. I only change my oil on a annual basis < 1000 miles, now but before it was every 3000 miles when driving to work. Its my belief that with todays oil any reputable brand and within a wide vicosity= > 30 wt. range will work. Its all dependant on the the climate you drive in and the oil change intervals for normal driving.
I hope "provacateur" isn't trying to provoke an argument because using 0-40 because it works in a Porsche and Mercedes is sure to catch you some heat on this forum! 😂

My current M5 has been using 10W-60 since at least 2008, and it burns no oil at all. I actually was concerned after my first 1k miles when I found the car didn't consume any oil like both my previous M5s. Still keep a bottle of 10W-60 in the trunk though 😂

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used Lubrimoly 10-60, M1 15-50 and Supertech 5-30 at one time they were just fine lubricants. My car seems to run better with the M1 0-40. I have thought of going back to the M1 15-50 because the light wt of the 0-40 seems too light. Its just typical for BMW to not come out and give a straight forward recommendation probably because they want you to buy their oil. I laugh when I open the hood and see a BMW sticker that says call this number for oil recommendations. I call it and its out if service. I know it was put on there when the car was new but still. I also have a e60M5. The self destructing model. I use Lubrimoly 10-60 in it. But there is allot of discussion regarding that heavy of an oil getting into the rod bearings to lubricate. Which BMW made rod bearing replacement a service item. The E39 M5 is considered the best M ever made. Its the last of the drivers car. I like it much better than the porsche (very overrated).

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
I hope "provacateur" isn't trying to provoke an argument because using 0-40 because it works in a Porsche and Mercedes is sure to catch you some heat on this forum!
Oil threads. Sometime ago we all decided it is your car, do what you want and we will not longer discuss oil. Everyone has their own opinion and there has never been consensus. Use whatever you want it is your car.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
I have used Lubrimoly 10-60, M1 15-50 and Supertech 5-30 at one time they were just fine lubricants. My car seems to run better with the M1 0-40. I have thought of going back to the M1 15-50 because the light wt of the 0-40 seems too light. Its just typical for BMW to not come out and give a straight forward recommendation probably because they want you to buy their oil. I laugh when I open the hood and see a BMW sticker that says call this number for oil recommendations. I call it and its out if service.
Remember, BMW has to spec its oil for ALL uses. That would include frequent high speed runs down the Autobahn. In those cases, I would feel better with a 50 weight oil or better on the hot side. But for tooling around even at U.S. highway cruising speeds, I think M1 0w-40 would be fine. I use it in most of my other cars. If you are tracking your car or driving at much higher speeds, I would want the protection of the higher weight oil when hot.

The Castrol spec oil BMW recommended was due to a financial tie in with Castrol. The 0w-30 really functioned like a 40 weight when hot. But the Castrol recommendation was financial, not merit based. When BMW was paying for the maintenance (in the U.S.), the Castrol spec 0w-30 was a lot cheaper than the Castrol TWS 10-60 (BTW, TWS simply stands for Ten W Sixty). I use at least a 50 weight in my car as I live in sunny south Florida. So 15w-50 M1 or even 20w-50 is fine. I have also used LM 10w-60, all with no issues.

.Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: AVGVSTVS

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Oil threads. Sometime ago we all decided it is your car, do what you want and we will not longer discuss oil. Everyone has their own opinion and there has never been consensus. Use whatever you want it is your car.
I agree totally. It is interesting to hear experiences from people who've used different oils, just as long as there are no unnecessary arguments about what the "right" one is :ROFLMAO:

The Castrol spec oil BMW recommended was due to a financial tie in with Castrol. The 0w-30 really functioned like a 40 weight when hot. But the Castrol recommendation was financial, not merit based. When BMW was paying for the maintenance (in the U.S.), the Castrol spec 0w-30 was a lot cheaper than the Castrol TWS 10-60
Interesting. I'd imagine the S62 was originally spec'd for 10W-60 when built but BMW knew other oils are also safe to use and went that route to save money on their free maintenance program.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
It is interesting to hear experiences from people who've used different oils,
I live rural and travel very rural, I have had to throw everything in the crankcase because it was all I could get where I was. I changed with 10/60 or 5/50 in the winter and topped up with whatever, but likely 10 liters worth between changes.Just try and get anything other than 15/40 deisel oil or 10/30 in northern Que at midnight. I have not noticed anything different except 10/60 when fresh is consumed slower. The car is now parked but it is not parked because of anything to do with oil.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My car is a daily driven here in the Pacific Northwest. While sometimes in summer it can get hot around 100° like a couple weeks ago, and as cold as the teens in winter. It's mainly a mild climate year round. I thought about doing 10W-60 for summer and 0W-40 for winter, but I felt like that is a bit of an extreme going back and fourth between such thick and thin oils. So I settled in with Mobil 1 5W-50, which I feel is a good in-between compromise. I don't track my car nor ever plan to, though I do like to take it for a nice blast every now and then on the back roads.

I stated this on a thread on another site recently an I'll say it here. The newest E39 M5's are almost 18 years old and it's been at least 13 years since most of the factory warranties have expired. So while BMW today will still say to use only 10W-60 oil, I honestly don't think they care. Not to mention the 10W-60 is for the ridiculous long life intervals. I know most if not all of us here would dare attempt to go by BMW's oil change intervals of 15k miles on these cars. Hell I wouldn't attempt that on any car! These cars weren't all maintained the same. So by all means use whatever oil you feel works best for you, and change it at good intervals like between 5-7.5k miles or less if the car gets driven rarely and you'll be good. Want to use 10W-60? Go ahead, excellent choice. Feel 0W-40 or 5W-30 or whatever is better? Nothing wrong with that either. Just take care of the car and it'll take care of you...for the most part lol.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Not to mention the 10W-60 is for the ridiculous long life intervals. I know most if not all of us here would dare attempt to go by BMW's oil change intervals of 15k miles on these cars.
I always kept this under my hat, but I did quite a few of those when I first started getting this company off the ground. I was putting on about 10k km a month but only had the chance to change the oil when I had time back in Ont. Likely the longest was 18k km. The thing that surprised me most, was when I changed the oil, it would be much cleaner than when I had changed it before which was 8k to 10 k, but that would take 6 or more months.
Then again I was not in love with this car, I bought it to drive it as I ended up driving. It was comfortable very safe, faster than heck. I knew when we got the company off the ground I would be pounding on miles and wanted something that could do it safe and fast but most important I wanted something that gave me the best chance to avoid accidents. It did all those things brilliantly. The only accident I ever had with it, I was not in the car, my Dear dad backed into the fender in the driveway. The number I avoided, thanks mainly to the DSC were countless. Excellent safe cars.
I feel bad about where the car sits now, but there was no way to keep up with all the other maintenance when you pound the miles to it. It will get new life when the E34 wagon is finished and it is closer now, paint next moth I hope. I think the m5 will have to be trucked back from the East coast so the parts can be placed in their new home. I will treat that car better.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I can't resist posting again in an oil thread...it has been so long...:p I don't have much to add these days, except that I finally switched from Castrol 10W60 to Lubrimoly 10W60 for both the E9M5 and Z4M coupe (S54) because Mike Miller somehow convinced me. I don't drive these cars enough to believe it will make any difference. FWIW, I also think 0W40 is fine. Heck I might even run the on the S62 if I lived in a colder climate.

·
Registered
236 Posts
i like 5w50, had no issue with 40 weight either but just burns too quickly in my car. 10w60 for me seem very slow to take on heat and release it also.

461 - 474 of 474 Posts