Discussion Starter #1
Thanks

·
Registered
12,891 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have heard that somewhere on this board I would love someone to confirm this as I will doing the same when I come to change my tire next time

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
using stock rims and no spacers,is it possible to go 255/35/18 and 285/30/18 without any rubbing issues?thanks

No. the front rim is only 8". the 255 requires an 8.5" rim MINIMUM, and I think 9" is preferred or 'measured' (ie they use 9" to derive all specs)

Running an oversize tire on a small rim leads to sidewall roll.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got my M from the local BMW dealer here a few months ago, and it's fitted with 265/35/18 at the rear. If the stock size is 275, what will be affected by running 265s?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Not much but put 275 on next time. It's all about grip, 275 will have a bit more grip than 265.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not much but put 275 on next time. It's all about grip, 275 will have a bit more grip than 265.
Thanks, I wish it would have been my choice, but they put them on the car before I bought it!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I got my M from the local BMW dealer here a few months ago, and it's fitted with 265/35/18 at the rear. If the stock size is 275, what will be affected by running 265s?
You just got slightly screwed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You just got slightly screwed.
Heh, thanks for that.

It won't mess up my speedo or anything like that will it?

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Thanks, I wish it would have been my choice, but they put them on the car before I bought it!
Don't sweat it. Some tires run big, so you could actually have a tire with virtually the same rolling diameter as a 275.

And grip is dependent not only on size (ok, size matters...:biggrinbounce:), but composition. A PS2 in 265 will be better than a Sumitomo in 275 (not picking on Sumi's).

I am running 265's all around (Dunlop r compound) and there is plenty of grip for the street. If you are running out of grip on the street with 265's in the rear, check the loose nut behind the wheel!:1:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Dunlops??

Don't sweat it. Some tires run big, so you could actually have a tire with virtually the same rolling diameter as a 275.

And grip is dependent not only on size (ok, size matters...:biggrinbounce:), but composition. A PS2 in 265 will be better than a Sumitomo in 275 (not picking on Sumi's).

I am running 265's all around (Dunlop r compound) and there is plenty of grip for the street. If you are running out of grip on the street with 265's in the rear, check the loose nut behind the wheel!:1:
Regards,
Jerry
Hey Jerry, how do you like your R-Comp Dunlops?? Noise on the road?? Wear?? You said they gripped well on the street. Would you use them on a track?? Why did you go with 265's; instead of 275's all around?? :)

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Hey Jerry, how do you like your R-Comp Dunlops?? Noise on the road?? Wear?? You said they gripped well on the street. Would you use them on a track?? Why did you go with 265's; instead of 275's all around?? :)

Very happy, slightly less noisy than GSD3's, but then I never had a noise problem with the Goodyears.. Street grip is comparable. They don't fill up the wheel well quite as well, but unless you compare side by side, you don't notice the difference.

Went with the 265's because at the time I got a smoking deal on them, full set of 4 from someone who never mounted them up!!! I paid about one bill each!

I wouldn't hesitate to use them on the track (thinking about Daytona in October!). They seem to need a little less air than the Goodyears, I would say abot 2 psi all around.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Thanks...

Very happy, slightly less noisy than GSD3's, but then I never had a noise problem with the Goodyears.. Street grip is comparable. They don't fill up the wheel well quite as well, but unless you compare side by side, you don't notice the difference.

Went with the 265's because at the time I got a smoking deal on them, full set of 4 from someone who never mounted them up!!! I paid about one bill each!

I wouldn't hesitate to use them on the track (thinking about Daytona in October!). They seem to need a little less air than the Goodyears, I would say abot 2 psi all around.
Regards,
Jerry
Do you know who supplies R-Comp Dunlops?? They're not listed on Tire Rack or any other national online retailer.

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Do you know who supplies R-Comp Dunlops?? They're not listed on Tire Rack or any other national online retailer.
No it was a private sale. Check with some of the race tire suppliers. There is one in South Carolina, Bob Woodman. Not sure who else. Or try the main company and ask or check who distributes for them.
Regards,
Jeryr

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Aren't you talking about the Dunlop Super Sport Race tires? Tire Rack had a huge inventory of these they bought out from Dunlop about 3 years ago. I think I paid $120 each for them. I thought they were great tires, and I used them mainly for track events and some autocrosses. They were 265/35-18. I ended up using them on my 330i zhp for autocross to finish them off early last year. All of Tire Rack's stock was built in early 2002, but they still seemed pliable and sticky.

I think Dunlop stopped production on them in 2002. :(

·
10,456 Posts
+! on the dunlops, i had them too, got them thru the tire rack blow out sale (though i want to say i paid like 135 each or something like that). Did not come in 275, but side by side, the 265 looked very similar to a 275 ps1. Great tire for the price, decent ride, ok on noise, fairly good in california rain. Too bad they d/c'd them.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Anyone notice how 275/35-18s are getting harder to find? I think Goodyear dropped that size for GSD3s and only has 265/35-18s in the new Asymmetrics. The same is true for the new Continental SportContact 3s. Michelin PS2s, which run a bit large for their size, still are available in 275. I also noticed Yoko has Advans in that size. Anyone try them?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts