BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 M5 with roughly 51K miles and my CPO warranty just expired about two months ago. I really love the car and have had it for about 1.5 years and I'm the third owner.

First owner was an older gentleman who leased the car and babied it as far as I'm aware. Second owner was a big BMW enthusiast who purchased the car for his wife. She only drove it in D mode.

Never taken to the track; never launched (I don't even know how to do launch control, nor do I care to). I always make sure to warm the car up fully before driving aggressively.

ANYWAY, I'm at a crossroads of whether I want to keep the car or sell it. It's purely a toy car for me at this point, as I don't need a car at all.

What I really want to know is what the signs are of the SMG / clutch going bad. I know the SMG transmission is finicky and I've never had any major issues with it. The only "issues" I've experienced, and I don't even know if they're truly issues or just the funky quirks of the SMG transmission, are some slight judders as I'm slowly engaging 1st gear from a stop. It doesn't happen all the time and I can count the number of times it's happened on one hand. Doing an SMG reset (driving 20+ MPH, going to N, and pulling and holding back both paddles) seems to cure this.

Several months back, I remember there being a slight 1.5 - 2 second delay when going between R and 1st gear while getting out of a parking spot.

Is all this normal? What should I be on the look out for? Are there early warning signs that the SMG is going bad? Or does it just go kaplunk on you? I'm not the most mechanically inclined and I know there are a myriad of ways the SMG can 'go bad.'

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Drive it up to Kittery and I'll check it out. An adaptation never hurts (it can identify a previously unknown existing problem though) and scan for codes. Many of them are just fine for long times until it's time to replace the clutch.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
GreenFrog did you move? I thought you used to be the Dallas area?

I've experienced the slight judder you mentioned in other M5s I have driven. Nothing I was alarmed about though, it would happen if I got on the throttle too fast. I would take up JColley's offer on checking it out!

·
Registered
422 Posts
slight judders as I'm slowly engaging 1st gear from a stop. It doesn't happen all the time and I can count the number of times it's happened on one hand. Doing an SMG reset (driving 20+ MPH, going to N, and pulling and holding back both paddles) seems to cure this.

slight 1.5 - 2 second delay when going between R and 1st gear while getting out of a parking spot.

My 545i had the same exact symptoms last year, I changed the mechatronics solenoids and all of these symptoms went away. Although the SMG tranny is different, I wonder if the gear path solenoids could be a part of the issue? I am not the expert, maybe a possibility based on a similar experience.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sounds normal to me. Mine has 55K miles, original clutch as far as I know, and does the same.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had the dealer do the Euro SMG tune and all my problems went away. Best thing I did to mine. Like driving a new car.

EDIT: About 78K miles on mine, did have a SMG flush about 7K ago before the SMG tune.

·
Registered
130 Posts
does it to me too and am at 70K miles on mine. am thinking is the clutch going bad already so eventually am just gonna go ahead and get a new clutch if i decided to keep the car.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Drove the beast this Easter weekend (beautiful weather). I have this same issue. Starting out in 1st it is really jerky. I use M-mode all the time and S6...I also have a sprint booster set to green (which could be adding to this).

Beast only has 38k on it. I am the second owner and the prev owner was a Dr who was scared of it and babied it. From what I gathered him and his wife always drove it in Auto mode.

I have the fluids to do a swap (the big gallon jug, and the 3 small liter jugs) I think gearbox and SMG. But with only 38k on the clock I'd hope this isn't the clutch acting up/going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts