BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
From what I have read this is about the life expectancy of MAFS although this may vary.

***(sorry to hijack your post)***

Am I right in thinking that they just get clegged up with dirt/grime/oil that slips through the air filters?
I clean mine every month, taking them out and dousing them with electrical contact cleaner, could this prevent problems?
Again sorry for jacking your thread...:cheers:

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
And when does it usually fail? 50k miles or up?
Failure is all over the place. One thing that hastens them is improperly oiled K&N filters. Probably dirt and grime over time. I have 66k on originals AFAIK. You can do a dynamic output test through the OBC to check their flow.

DavidS has a great writeup and I believe a formula for adjusting for humidity and atmosphere above sea level.

I used to flow low 120's; after Dinan MAF housings, around 130's.

Don't buy the part from BMW, they only sell the MAF in the housing. Prob $600+ for the pair. Most folks use a VW equivalent (both Bosch), about $80 each side for the MAF sensor only. M5 Bosch part number ends in 029, VW number ends in 032. Only difference seems to be a locking tab, which isn't really needed as there are two screws that hold the sensor in the housing and an electrical connector.

Labor to change out just the MAF sensor should be about 5 minutes per side, including opening a cold one as you work. BMW will probably charge at least a 1/2 hour even if you could get just the sensor alone.
Regards,
Jerry

·
8,376 Posts
I concur with Jerry.

I have the VW MAF's too. No issues whatsoever. I think I paid $65.00 each at Performance Cafe.com but they raised their prices already (demand has increased)

Removal and replacement takes about 2 minutes each side, not adding trip to the fridge. Two screws and one connector. Very easy.

I replaced mine preventively at 50K miles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
when i got my car the guy told me it needed new MAfs but i could clean them and it would work fine. he was right for a while, but then they started to mess up sooner and sooner, i cleaned them so much that i striped the threads out of the MAF housing (thats bad, dont do that!) so i had them replaced under an extended warranty i have on my car (i had to unplug my wires to send a fault code otherwise the crappy warranty wouldnt replace them) if i remeber correctly, the cost of replacing both including labor was $800

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i got my car the guy told me it needed new MAfs but i could clean them and it would work fine. he was right for a while, but then they started to mess up sooner and sooner, i cleaned them so much that i striped the threads out of the MAF housing (thats bad, dont do that!) so i had them replaced under an extended warranty i have on my car (i had to unplug my wires to send a fault code otherwise the crappy warranty wouldnt replace them) if i remeber correctly, the cost of replacing both including labor was $800
Yikes! Now i'm starting to worry :sad3:

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
Yikes! Now i'm starting to worry :sad3:
$162 ($160 for MAF's, $2 for beer) every 50k miles or so is nothing to worry about. Think of MAF's like brake pads, they are consumables and need to get changed out every once in a while.:cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
8,376 Posts
Search function here on MAF's subjenct would have helped you folks a lot as this has been discussed here many many times. So here it goes.

1) Cleaning MAF's works but is only a temporary fix, it will surely go bad again. So as Jerry said, they are consumable items, so after 50,000 miles - replace them before it affects performance of your beast.

2) It has been discussed here many times too, MAF's dont usually throw a fault code until its really really bad so it would be difficult to claim under warranty.

3) You should still be able to find another source for VW MAF's for a reasonable price. Yes, the stealer usually charges $800.00 for parts and labor.

4) Remember always that time is money, your time is worth a lot more. It was cheaper for me to replace the MAF's preventively before it goes bad, than suffering performance issues, cleaning the MAF's often and eventually having to replace them anyway.

So again, my recommendation is replace them at 50,000 miles with VW MAF's before it goes bad. Done. Move on to something else or go back and start enjoying driving the beast again.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
+1 re Dan's summary.

Only difference seems to be a locking tab, which isn't really needed as there are two screws that hold the sensor in the housing and an electrical connector.
True enough, but to be clear, while the VW MAFS are screwed down by the torx screws, the locking tab, which is missing, is to hold the electrical connector. The connector fits pretty tightly by friction and doesn't seem like it would back off, but there is some vibration in the engine, so if you're concerned about it, you can easily zip-tie the connector to be sure it doesn't come unplugged. A lot of people, however, just run them as-is and seem to have no problems.

MAFS "failure" is a bit insidious because it goes away slowly over time and throws no fault code unless it stops functioning, which is rare. More common is that the contamination results in reduced power output. But the M5 engine is so powerful that in ordinary driving you might not realize how much performance you've lost until you change the MAFS.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
One thing that hastens them is improperly oiled K&N filters.
I have read of this same problem on the Porsche forums. Another reason for just sticking with the tried-and-true disposable paper filters.

Michael

·
Registered
51 Posts
Would you guys by chane have the part numbers for the BMW, and the vw MAFS?

I have a good local source on german parts andwould like to give him a shot a getting a set for me.

·
Registered
609 Posts
This post has a bunch of good info on it.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69175

I have used the VW MAFS and there was a big difference in performance due to the old ones going bad. Definitely a preventative maintenance item...I will say that they seem to be getting more and more expensive all the time so if put lots of miles on your car just order 4 and never have to worry about it again.

·
8,376 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

That's why this board is great. We share important info and save us all money and frustrations.

Making a fair profit is one thing, but taking advantage of someone because they dont know any different is definitely another thing and totally unacceptable. Dont go back there again. If they can do it once, they will do it again.

I think I paid $74.00 each for VW MAF at performance cafe.com a year ago (they now raised their prices as demand increased.)

Just providing feedback and updates on my VW MAF's compared to original BMW MAF's = no issues whatsoever.
Last time I did a MAF test, I got like 146!

Cant beat the price and performance.

How badly was I [email protected]? Indy charged me $600 for ONE MAF replacement.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts