BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to ask the few of you who are willing to respond to the following two questions. I have to gather research for a business project in my university about factors that cause people to buy BMWs over Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, Lexus and other competitors. I really appreciate your time.

Woody

1. To you, what are the main factors that made you purchase your BMW over any other competing car in the same category?

2. Has owning your BMW fullfilled your expectations which caused you to buy the car in the first place?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Woody said:
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to ask the few of you who are willing to respond to the following two questions. I have to gather research for a business project in my university about factors that cause people to buy BMWs over Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, Lexus and other competitors. I really appreciate your time.

Woody

1. To you, what are the main factors that made you purchase your BMW over any other competing car in the same category?

2. Has owning your BMW fullfilled your expectations which caused you to buy the car in the first place?
1) The main factors for which I bought my car were performance and, dare I say, practicality. Also, it is the only car in it's league available with a conventional manual transmission...that was very important to me.

2) Yes, I feel it has fulfilled the expectations for which I bought it.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
1) 4 doors, practical, and very fast and capable, but doesn't look it.

2) Yes.

BTW I also have a Jaguar XK8, and it is completely different in nearly every respect, but i love it as much. It is very sensuous and sexy. Where the BMW is teutonic, the Jaguar looks much better on the interior and exterior, and is more luxurious feeling. Not as capable or practical, but plain sexy fun. I don't think of the BMW as sexy...more like a brawny beast.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Nothing drives like a BMW. I've test driven close to 100 cars in my buying lifetime, and no other brand except Porsche connects you with the road like a BMW. I needed a sedan, so BMW it was.

·
Registered
127 Posts

2. Has owning your BMW fullfilled your expectations which caused you to buy the car in the first place?[/QUOTE]

--

1. True power without supercharge, the sound, connect you with the road,
extreme handling and performance without annoying anyone. Put the driver first. Second hand values are OK.

2. Yes, always since my first 1977 528i.

//Ekan

·
Registered
248 Posts
Woody said:

1. Fun to drive. Very good handling and ride. Great brakes. Lots of room. Did I mention Fun to drive. Great Steering... This was my e39 540 sports...

2. The current E60 545i has been a disappointment. The active steering is not very good. The suspension is very stiff. The overall feeling is not there. This is the first BMW in 15 years that I didn't like. ??????

I am waiting to see if the M5 is more of the same.... If not, I will go back to the 3 series.... I would get a Porsche but need more room.... don't like SUVs.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Woody said:
Hey everyone,

Woody

The brand DNA of BMW is very different than Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar and Lexus...

Mercedes has confused me of late - it used to build tanks - not the fastest or most stylish, but unbreakable. Now they feel flimsy, but at least they are more swoopy and interesting.

Audi is lumbered with front-wheel drive on lots of its cars - lovely interiors (much nicer than many BMWs) and the A8 is delicious, but ultimately too many of them are VWs in drag.

Jaguars - tempting, but too old-fashioned. They need to build some serious high performance variants - I have high hopes for the new XK8, if it's anything like the ALC concept car.

Lexus... no thanks.

BMWs aren't all perfect - my E31 doesn't have the best steering, my E36 was horribly creaky inside and I'm not sold on the interior of the E60 (but awesome handling for a car that size) - I guess it's the unique balance of handling, ride (excl. runflats... grrr!), performance, practicality, simple style and build quality/reliability.

Course, then there are cars like my Alpinas, which are quite unlike anything offered by other manufacturers...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts