BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna lose some more weight on the car, got 19" TypeIII's at the moment and thinking about changing wheels to gain some weight savings...

Is there is a list of wheel weights anywhere?

BBS LM's are quite light, as are the OZ superleggera's... Would prefer something of the 5 spoke variety if possible..

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions?

Tin

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I think the BBS Rc are the lightest.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Tin,

The BBS LM's are a pretty light for a 19" wheel, as well as the RGR and RG's. Both Fikse and Kinesis wheels are light, and I think they area good option for the lightest wheel, plus they look great and are very good quality. Be sure to check out the OZ Supperleggas also.

The BBS RC's don't come in 19", and the SSR GT3's aren't very light.

If your serious about saving weight, then don't buy a 19" wheel, go for 18". You will be able to buy much lighter wheels. Even if you buy the lightest and best quality 19" wheel, I'm not sure your really going to notice a difference. However, if you go to an 18" wheel, such as the Dinan's, your looking at saving around 100 pounds. You will notice that weight loss. Just something to think about.

Travis

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Contact Fikse or Kinesis and see about them making you a wheel that will clear your brakes. This is one of the perks for these two companies, they custom make their wheels to your specs.

Also, Tin, I'm a little confused about your actions. You went with a 15" 8 piston Brembo brake kit, which is clearly overboard, although kinda cool. By doing this you sacrificed weight to get looks, because a 14" 4 piston brake kit is all you will ever need for the M5, and weighs less. So after the uneccesarly heavy brakes, you want light wheels? I dont get it? I'm not attacking you, I'm just curious what your rational is?

If you would like me to do some research on wheel weights and availability of lightweight 19" wheels, I would be glad to do so.

Have a nice day,

Travis

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys..

M5Kid said:
Contact Fikse or Kinesis and see about them making you a wheel that will clear your brakes. This is one of the perks for these two companies, they custom make their wheels to your specs.

Also, Tin, I'm a little confused about your actions. You went with a 15" 8 piston Brembo brake kit, which is clearly overboard, although kinda cool. By doing this you sacrificed weight to get looks, because a 14" 4 piston brake kit is all you will ever need for the M5, and weighs less. So after the uneccesarly heavy brakes, you want light wheels? I dont get it? I'm not attacking you, I'm just curious what your rational is?

If you would like me to do some research on wheel weights and availability of lightweight 19" wheels, I would be glad to do so.

Have a nice day,
Travis
LOL, thanks Travis, no offence taken, reason why I went for the 8pots was I've always planned to go the supercharged route, was looking at RMS at the time, but everyone knows what happened to them.. hence was prepping up the car to follow suit.. have the RHD Supersprint headers, cams, brakes, suspension etc.. I do still like the ACS TypeIII's they have the concaved effect when rolling which is lovelove and they clear the brakes very nicely...

I'm in no rush to get the new wheels now, just that there are quite alot of folks that have the same wheels, and I want my car to be different to my individual taste..

Do you have any pics of the Fikse or Kinesis wheels mentioned?

Thanks
Tin

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Tin,

It all makes sense now! :hihi: I'll grab some pictures of the Kinesis and Fikse wheels I had in mind and post them shortly

Travis

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I say leave it as it is, looks great, unlikely to really feel a big difference. I'm sure the honeys be dropping they drawws over dem brakes and dem wheels anyway :) :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
member BRN64666 has got a set of kenisis 19 inchers! PM him and i'm sure he can get you some good info!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tin, Try www.wheelweights.net. They list about every wheel made. They do not , however, list how strong or durable the wheels are. Also to consider is the weight of the tire, which may have more impact on "performance" than the weight of the wheel. Good luck, Doug

·
Registered
267 Posts
The ssr comps are very light and strong. Had them on my s4 in 17's and they were under 15lbs a corner, survived 15k miles in NYC with zero problems.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dinan do their lightweight wheels in 19" but only for the E46 M3... anyone know the weight of these? ??????

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
However, if you go to an 18" wheel, such as the Dinan's, your looking at saving around 100 pounds.
Uh, how is that so? The stock front wheels weigh under 25lbs each and the rears just slightly more, so in order to save 100 lbs total, you'd have to have wheels that weigh less than nothing! ouich BTW, instead of getting new wheels, you can consider lighter tires. They don't all weigh the same. Toyo TS-1s weigh on average 4 lbs. less than Bridgestone SO3s, for example. That would be like going from a stock 25 lb. wheel to a 21 lb. wheel.

BMW E39 M5 18x8 23.6 lbs
BMW E39 M5 18x9.5 25.6 lbs

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Need4Spd,

Your right, I over estimated the weight loss of Dinan wheels. Because they (Dinan) wheels are about 7 pounds lighter than stock per corner, and this is unsprung weight, it does add up. I've heard that to get the actual affect wheel/tire weight has on a car, you should multiply the increase or savings by 1.5-3 times the actual weight. If you were to say that you can shed 14 pounds per corner, your talking about 56 pounds. Combine that with a BBK kit, and the decrease in weight would be even more.

Also, the Toyo T1-S don't come in stock M5 tire sizes, so that leaves out that option. To bad, because there supposed to be great tires.

Travis

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I've heard that to get the actual affect wheel/tire weight has on a car, you should multiply the increase or savings by 1.5-3 times the actual weight.
OK, that makes sense. BTW, I think T1-S does come in our size. I know they make a 275/35-18. Isn't that our size? I use rear sizes all around but think they have 245/40-18s, too. Toyo 245s Toyo 275

B

·
0 Posts
Who knows the actual reasoning why Dinan doesn't "officially" offer their spread forged wheels in 19's for the M5 but does on the E46 M3.

I suspect that if Steve D. is concerned about performance, he'll only keep 18s on the car. They are lighter than 19s, and he can stuff those giant tires under the car.

For those looking for the 19s and concerned about weight, there are very few lightweight choices, in my opinion, that are up for the task of supporting a 4000 pound car. BBS LMs are a popular choice, since both the center and rim barrel are forged. At the moment, multipiece Fikse and Kinesis offer forged centers, but roll-formed rim halves (ie. easier to bend).

Kinesis does offer a one-piece forged wheel, the F110. Very nice looking, but apparently not with a 74mm (E39 specific) hub bore yet.

Only 19 lbs. for the 19x10 ET27. They do make a 19x8.5, but with the wrong offset for an E39.

Again, these are for E46 3 series.

If someone really wanted these wheels to fit, the rears could be modified to fit (machine the bore to 74mm). The fronts, you can use spacer adapters to correct the offset while also correcting the bore.

From what I remember, these wheels retail for more than $1200 each.

Kinesis Motorsport

1 - 20 of 31 Posts