BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

What are the differences between '02 and '03?

1400 Views 15 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  CSBM5
And what were the available options/prices?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
7,671 Posts
gsfent said:
As I remember it, 01 had the rear bags, came deactiviated. In 02, they were a no cost option and many dealers did not check off the box. In 03 they went back to standard. All U.S. came non activated. If my memory has faded ( a distinct possibility according to the significant other), I am sure someone else will chime in.
Regards,
Jerry
That's right Jerry. The 2002 models were rarely ordered with the rear bags -- in fact I have yet to see one that has rear bags. All 2001 and 2003 model year cars came standard with them. The door bags are deactivated from the factory (small child concerns); however, the rear head protection bags are always activated. The head bags are part of "rear bag" option on 2002's, so if it doesn't have the door bags, it has no rear head bags either.

Chuck

· Registered
7,671 Posts
boostmiser said:
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression the rear side curtain airbags were present and active.
Yes, the "HPS" system in the rear is part of the "rear air bag" feature/option. All 2001 and 2003 models have the rear bags as standard; it was a no-cost option for 2002 but had to be specified. Regarding 2000 model M5's, I know they all came with rear door airbags, but I'm not sure if that also included the HPS system. I was only interested in the 2001 and up when hunting for my M5 a couple of years back, so I didn't research the 2000. Perhaps someone with a 2000 model can confirm if they have the rear "HPS" embossed on the C-pillar?

ard said:
How does one tell if an 02 has them?
If car is available/nearby, you can look at the top most reward section of a rear door inset panel, and you will see "AIRBAG" embossed -- i.e. it will look just like the front door in this respect. Also on the C-pillar up near the reading light you will see "HPS" embossed in the material.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.