BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
mshea said:
And what were the available options/prices?
DVD Nav (sorry, overlooked that earlier) was the only change.
Available options were PDC, MAudio, Fold down rear seats and sunshades. Of course you could chose between the luxury interior or the sport (extended leather) interior.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
boostmiser said:
Nothing. Available options were PDC, MAudio, Fold down rear seats and sunshades. Of course you could chose between the luxury interior or the sport (extended leather) interior.
Thanks. That's what I suspected (although isn't the monitor DVD vs. CD?) Would you mind elaborating on the interior options? I prefer the extended leather (otherwise, it looks like my 540) but why is that 'sport' and not 'lux'? What does the lux have that sport doesn't...?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
mshea said:
Thanks. That's what I suspected (although isn't the monitor DVD vs. CD?) Would you mind elaborating on the interior options? I prefer the extended leather (otherwise, it looks like my 540) but why is that 'sport' and not 'lux'? What does the lux have that sport doesn't...?
Boost missed the title in the post.
The 03 has a DVD based Nav. THis is faster and has better maps than the CD based system. You CAN upgrade the nav computer for $800-1200.

The 03 has standard rear airbags- they may be enable or not. The 02 must have been ordered with them (IIRC)

Lots of definitive posts on Sport versus Lux interiors... do a search. SHort ans is:

Sport has different leather texture, and (maybe?) diff stitch pattern
Lux was ALL black or ALL caramel
Sport is either all black OR has colored panels on the seating surfaces (Silver, blue, red.. sorry, I'm not using the right names)
Sport comes with ALUM trim, Lux with Wood. Sport CAN be ordered with Wood.
Rear sunshades only available on sport.

Good luck- I opted for the 03 price wasn't the determinant. I know you are facing a bit of a quandry.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Check out these FAQs re history, model year differences, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ard said:
Boost missed the title in the post.
The 03 has a DVD based Nav. THis is faster and has better maps than the CD based system. You CAN upgrade the nav computer for $800-1200.

The 03 has standard rear airbags- they may be enable or not. The 02 must have been ordered with them (IIRC)

Lots of definitive posts on Sport versus Lux interiors... do a search. SHort ans is:

Sport has different leather texture, and (maybe?) diff stitch pattern
Lux was ALL black or ALL caramel
Sport is either all black OR has colored panels on the seating surfaces (Silver, blue, red.. sorry, I'm not using the right names)
Sport comes with ALUM trim, Lux with Wood. Sport CAN be ordered with Wood.
Rear sunshades only available on sport.

Good luck- I opted for the 03 price wasn't the determinant. I know you are facing a bit of a quandry.
Guys - thanks for your input and clarifications! I'm going through the archives as fast as I can as I'd like to make a decion on the '03 vs. '02 tomorrow. Price aside, I prefer the Lux interior, DVD, rear airbags (thanks for THAT gem!) and longer Factory warranty of the '03.

Thanks for bearing with me while I sort this out....! :typing:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Sorry about that oversight. If you have kids, you want the rear door airbags disabled.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I thought all M5s for the US had rear side air bags that were deactivated for delivery- the customer had to ask the dealer to activate and perhaps the customer had to sign something or put some stickers on the inside of the door sills stating that the airbags are active and not recommended for child passengers. My 00 had this and my 03 has this.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just got an 02 with the sport seats. How can I tell if it has the upgraded M audio? Also, I'm assuming my doesn't have the sunshades but how do I confirm? Would there be a button on the dash or something?

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
I thought all M5s for the US had rear side air bags that were deactivated for delivery- the customer had to ask the dealer to activate and perhaps the customer had to sign something or put some stickers on the inside of the door sills stating that the airbags are active and not recommended for child passengers. My 00 had this and my 03 has this.
As I remember it, 01 had the rear bags, came deactiviated. In 02, they were a no cost option and many dealers did not check off the box. In 03 they went back to standard. All U.S. came non activated. If my memory has faded ( a distinct possibility according to the significant other), I am sure someone else will chime in.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
black02m5 said:
I just got an 02 with the sport seats. How can I tell if it has the upgraded M audio? Also, I'm assuming my doesn't have the sunshades but how do I confirm? Would there be a button on the dash or something?
M audio, look in the trunk for 2 subwoofers under the rear deck. Sunshade has a button on the console near DSC, PDC, Sport, etc. buttons. Sunshade only with sport interior.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
gsfent said:
As I remember it, 01 had the rear bags, came deactiviated. In 02, they were a no cost option and many dealers did not check off the box. In 03 they went back to standard. All U.S. came non activated. If my memory has faded ( a distinct possibility according to the significant other), I am sure someone else will chime in.
Regards,
Jerry
That's right Jerry. The 2002 models were rarely ordered with the rear bags -- in fact I have yet to see one that has rear bags. All 2001 and 2003 model year cars came standard with them. The door bags are deactivated from the factory (small child concerns); however, the rear head protection bags are always activated. The head bags are part of "rear bag" option on 2002's, so if it doesn't have the door bags, it has no rear head bags either.

Chuck

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
CSBM5 said:
That's right Jerry. The 2002 models were rarely ordered with the rear bags -- in fact I have yet to see one that has rear bags. All 2001 and 2003 model year cars came standard with them. The door bags are deactivated from the factory (small child concerns); however, the rear head protection bags are always activated. The head bags are part of "rear bag" option on 2002's, so if it doesn't have the door bags, it has no rear head bags either.

Chuck
Two questions:

How does one tell if an 02 has them? Get the configuration list from a dealer based on the VIN and look for that order code option? (I think the only 'sticker' is if there ARE there but deactivated...)

I left my door deactivated (03) since my kids are still somewhat young. At what age should they be used? or is it weight? 75lbs? 12 years? 14? Thoughts??

A

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
ard said:
Two questions:

How does one tell if an 02 has them? Get the configuration list from a dealer based on the VIN and look for that order code option? (I think the only 'sticker' is if there ARE there but deactivated...)
Running the VIN for the options makes sense. Isn't there a sticker somewhere in the trunk with the option codes? I guess you would still need to know what code the rear air bags were. In my car, there is a warning sticker in the rear, so I would think any car that had them would have the sticker too.
ard said:
I left my door deactivated (03) since my kids are still somewhat young. At what age should they be used? or is it weight? 75lbs? 12 years? 14? Thoughts??

A
Probably more size than age. See if the dealer has a recommended size/age to activate the rear bags. I would think height/weight more important than age. But if you activate them, you may not to transport any children or small adults.
Regards,
Jerry (rear bags deactivated)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
CSBM5 said:
The head bags are part of "rear bag" option on 2002's, so if it doesn't have the door bags, it has no rear head bags either.

Chuck
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression the rear side curtain airbags were present and active.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
boostmiser said:
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression the rear side curtain airbags were present and active.
Yes, the "HPS" system in the rear is part of the "rear air bag" feature/option. All 2001 and 2003 models have the rear bags as standard; it was a no-cost option for 2002 but had to be specified. Regarding 2000 model M5's, I know they all came with rear door airbags, but I'm not sure if that also included the HPS system. I was only interested in the 2001 and up when hunting for my M5 a couple of years back, so I didn't research the 2000. Perhaps someone with a 2000 model can confirm if they have the rear "HPS" embossed on the C-pillar?

ard said:
How does one tell if an 02 has them?
If car is available/nearby, you can look at the top most reward section of a rear door inset panel, and you will see "AIRBAG" embossed -- i.e. it will look just like the front door in this respect. Also on the C-pillar up near the reading light you will see "HPS" embossed in the material.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts