BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really as above, I have a 2007 E60 M5 & just feel it's a bit boaty ?
Don't really want to go down the coilover route but am all ears,

Manly do normal/fast road & 2/3 trackdays a year

On my M3 I just put Eibach lowering spring which a made a great difference.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
206 Posts
Really as above, I have a 2007 E60 M5 & just feel it's a bit boaty ?
Don't really want to go down the coilover route but am all ears,

Manly do normal/fast road & 2/3 trackdays a year

On my M3 I just put Eibach lowering spring which a made a great difference.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance
Boaty, I'd say get sway bars to fix that...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I vote RD Sport Sways with Lowtec Lowering springs (it's just front springs - your rear stays the normal height and your front lowers a bit). It makes the car sit just right and the sways will reduce your body roll significantly. At least, that's what I would do if I were going to upgrade suspension.

Either that, or go all out and get KW V3's. I have a set on my G35 Coupe and they are incredible. Completely transformed the car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if I did go coilover/ sway bar/ updated springs anyone got any links on best place to purchase these?
I live in London, England

·
Registered
631 Posts
My car came with H&R's on it and I love the way it sits and feels. It's a tad bit rougher than I wish in comfort mode (ie wife/kid in the car) but it's not bad. I will always want to keep EDC because I love not being stuck with one ride quality. I'd only do coilovers again (had them on my Audi) if I were the only one ever riding in it.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Swaybar and H&R or Lowtec springs make a nice improvement on ride height and stability. For any serious action, coil over is the way to go. No more than 35 mm lowering (preferably not over an inch) is advisable on the oem shocks. Not only do they wear out prematurely, but it's too big offset from the original ride height, that the damping characteristics gets much affected.
I've been developing suspension technology for racing applications before.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have ran both Dinan Stage 3 and Dinan Stage 3 with H&R springs on my E60 M5. I would recommend going with H&R's and a set of RD sways. Car will feel completely different after that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
KW3 Coils will change you're life for ever and eternity.

Reactions: googone20

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,264 Posts
RD Sways > Dinan sways -- I had both. I'm on coils, but Lowtech springs would be my choice.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
RD Sways > Dinan sways -- I had both. I'm on coils, but Lowtech springs would be my choice.
+1 I'm on Eibachs which lower less than the H&R's on stock struts, and my car bottoms out on many dips and imperfections on the road. If I could re do it I would go with just lowtech on the front on stock springs. Now when my oem struts mess up I'll go with coil overs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
+1 I'm on Eibachs which lower less than the H&R's on stock struts, and my car bottoms out on many dips and imperfections on the road. If I could re do it I would go with just lowtech on the front on stock springs. Now when my oem struts mess up I'll go with coil overs.
Where would one buy the lowtech springs here in the US? The only place i've been able to find is Abrahams Motorsport Abrahams Motorsport - Home but i'm not sure if they carry the e60 m5 springs...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Where would one buy the lowtech springs here in the US? The only place i've been able to find is Abrahams Motorsport Abrahams Motorsport - Home but i'm not sure if they carry the e60 m5 springs...
Schmiedmann.com

In my signature, there is a link to a thread I did on lowering just the front end.
This post shows the result better, because I've spaced the fronts (and rears) out by 12 mm, which makes the result more prominent. The stock setup is very "tucked in".
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/190561-lowering-front-end-e60-m5-14.html#post3904682

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My only worry is if I upgrade just the front springs won't the rear end be more bouncy as there standard springs.

I live in the UK and can not find a supplier for Lowtec springs or RD sway bar here or in Europe, if anyone has a link to buy these in the UK or Europe that would be very helpful.

Many thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
I love my H&Rs and they are hardly rougher than the stock. It did not lower my car to where I bottom out on anything unless it is one of those huge raised sidewalks or traffic humps that are a mile tall and long and in that case it is just the front lip that touches if I go too fast over it. Sometimes I can't go straight down a driveway with a curb since the angle to catch the rain water is too deep but again it is still just the underside of the front lip that scrapes occasionally.

·
Registered
769 Posts
My only worry is if I upgrade just the front springs won't the rear end be more bouncy as there standard springs.

I live in the UK and can not find a supplier for Lowtec springs or RD sway bar here or in Europe, if anyone has a link to buy these in the UK or Europe that would be very helpful.

Many thanks
I don't know where to get the swaybar, but the Lowtec springs are available at Schmiedmann. Just google them. They are available within EU.
No, it didn't get bouncy at all. I sold my car two months ago and rode a stock E60 M5 yesterday and only difference I possibly could tell, was that his front end perhaps was a tad but more plush. A TAD, not much.

Edit: however, I can report that the pulling power is very different without the supercharger that I had.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My buddy has an 08 manual & I have an 08 SMG.

He installed the Eibachs on his car over the summer and I liked the ride quality and look of his car..

I took a chance and went with the H&R's last week and my car seems to sit a tad lower than my buddies car on Eibachs, and I can definitely feel the comfort difference. The H&R's are definitely more firm.

I like how the car used to have split personalities with the comfort suspension setting and P400 vs P500 sport and normal/sport EDC settings. But now I see myself using the Comfort setting only, as normal and sport is too stiff for my taste on these NYC/ NJ roads.

I love the look, but I think I'm going to switch to Eibachs soon and sell these H&R springs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went for RD sway bars & Eibach springs, found the Eibach to soft at high speeds so bought I bought H&R springs and I find it to be the perfect setup :smiley:

I think I have the car where I want now, I also fitted 12mm spacers just on the front as I found the wheels sat

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I had H&Rs back in the day and needed the extra firmness for the twisties so I guess it's a matter of how you want to drive your car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went for the Dinan set up - Performance springs and Ride Quality/handling kit. Works well for the roads i use. Sits much nicer and can fit 12mm spacers if needed.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts