BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So happy yesterday...
Had so much fun at Laguna Seca and met another M5 owner

Took some pictures....will load up later....

But have a question if anybody can help me....

Yesterday...there was a problem on my clutch....I am currently running a stock clutch which I think is not that good....coz yesterday it was too heated up...and it won't allow me to keep going after third gear......and I had to wait for the car to cool down before I go back on.....is it normal? or is it just the problem of the way I am driving......usually I keep around 500 to 650 rpm

Will I avoid that problem after I upgrade the clutch? Any commendation what brand or what should I do?

I would be very appreciate if anybody can help me with that :cheers:

·
10,455 Posts
airfatwing said:
Yesterday...there was a problem on my clutch....I am currently running a stock clutch which I think is not that good....coz yesterday it was too heated up...and it won't allow me to keep going after third gear......and I had to wait for the car to cool down before I go back on.....is it normal? or is it just the problem of the way I am driving......usually I keep around 500 to 650 rpm
:
Not really understanding what you're saying. You couldn't get OUT of third gear, as in you couldn't shift? Was the clutch slipping?

And when do you usually keep it around 500-650 rpm, not on the track, or road for that matter, as that's idle speed?
Mike

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clutch just keep slipping and won't let me go faster when it is heated up....

Oh I meant on the turns when I am on the track......I ususally keep around 550 after downshift before the turns......

·
10,455 Posts
airfatwing said:
The clutch just keep slipping and won't let me go faster when it is heated up....

Oh I meant on the turns when I am on the track......I ususally keep around 550 after downshift before the turns......
I'd guess you might be needing a clutch. I have no slipping problem on the track with mine. So if you shift into 4th you just get slipping?

Still not sure i understand the second part, how are you keeping the rpm at 550 after downshifting before a turn, are you keeping the clutch in for the turn?
Mike

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
mottati said:
I'd guess you might be needing a clutch. I have no slipping problem on the track with mine. So if you shift into 4th you just get slipping?

Still not sure i understand the second part, how are you keeping the rpm at 550 after downshifting before a turn, are you keeping the clutch in for the turn?
Mike
There must be a typo somewhere, but the behavior he's experiencing souds more like the DSC working than a clutch slipping...

·
10,455 Posts
Opposite_Lock said:
Hahahahha!

I think he means 5500-6500 rpm, which is more like it. He's on the TRACK afterall and if he was doing 550-650 RPM, he couldn't have been having alot of fun.
i don't know, if you're entering a turn at that high of an rpm, you don't give yourself much revs to accelerate at the apex and out of the turn...
Mike

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
It sounds like you have a slipping clutch. I've never experienced one so I don't know for sure. I have several questions for you.
1. I assume you tried to accelerate in 4th gear on longer straights? Did the RPMs climb but not the speed? That is a sure sign of a bad clutch.
2. Were you very careful to be off the clutch pedal before accelerating hard? Its tough to do this when the adrenalin is flowing at the track but with the M5, that is a must.
3. Did the clutch smell bad after a session? It's similar to overheated brakes but a harsher smell.
4. Did you turn off the DSC (with the yellow light constantly illuminated in the instrument cluster)? If DSC is left on, it could be cutting your power as you exit a turn.
5. Was the accleration held back exiting a turn and then pick up once the wheel was straight? If you are understeering during corner exit, this could happen. It takes practice to drive the M5 in ways to reduce the understeer.
6. Finally did you have an instructor? What were his thoughts?

I don't undertand your 500-650 rpm comment either. Generally at the track, if I'm in 4th at the end of a long straight, its at 5000+ rpm. After braking prior to a medium turn, you should be down to 45-60 mph or <3000 rpm. A downshift to 3rd takes you to 3000-4000rpm. This should all be done prior to turn in. This gives you good power and time to get the car straight before needing an upshift. A downshift to 2nd before a turn should only be done for the tightest turns and only when you have enough experience to control the oversteer or rear tires sliding under hard power.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I don't think you're ever going to see pics from this poser. Sorry, I'm not usually this harsh, but I think this kid is full of crapola. Same with his "oh, no somebody shot my M5" post...

Get a life, kiddo...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts