BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time I experience the "Tire defect" warning in the car. I was on the highway at the time. I pulled over to check my tire pressure and it was at 17 psi. I was surpised that it was already so low before the warning. It's a good thing I wasn't pushing hard.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I fixed it. The Tire Pressure Monitoring system works off variation between all the tires and a baseline. If they all lose air at the same time then there is not much variation between them all and you get no problem. Also, if the baseline (eg when you initialize the system) is set low enough then it will wait until your tire gets down to 17 psi or so. In your position I would check all the tires now- even if they are hot. Be sure there is a good amount of air in them. Then in the morning check them (if the car stays outside be sure the sun doesnt heat up one/ several tire(s)).

After you have the tire pressure where you want it, you turn the key all the way but do not turn the engine on (just the ignition) and then hold the tire pressure button (near the ignition) and then turn the ignition off- then turn the car on and it will say "set tire pressure" in the computer window below the speedo. For the next 10 miles you drive it will measure the rotating diameter of all 4 tires and it will learn it.

Btw-Ive had some ruts on the highway freak out the system.

Btw x2: I set my tires to 38 front/ 35 rear cold (that means 65F is the target temp, you equalize to that (about 1psi/ 10 degrees F (though I have heard its more like 1psi/12F)).

Also you want to change the tire pressures whenever the ambient temp in your area goes through a big change (eg start of summer or winter).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.