BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, post MAF cleaning update/ ride report for those following their play book: :blabla:

Perhaps it's the "Simple Green" residue out gassing as a function of time, however, the 00' has seen a dramatic improvement in overall acceleration & responsiveness 24 hours "since" the MAF cleaning procedure. Hey, could be the 28 degree temperatures as well.... :confused:

So, the 1st & 2nd gear extreme fish-tailing are completely "normal" right? ;)

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Sound about right to me;). Are you going to be able to make it to our meet on this Saturday in Amesbury?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TCM said:
Sound about right to me;). Are you going to be able to make it to our meet on this Saturday in Amesbury?
Think so bud !

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
vics said:
Hey, could be the 28 degree temperatures as well.... :confused:

So, the 1st & 2nd gear extreme fish-tailing are completely "normal" right? ;)
I'm thinking the temp has something to do with it as well. The last two mornings it's been in the 30's here and the car is noticably faster. Second gear spins from a 20-30mph roll. Now that could also be the tires not getting a good grip on the cold road? But it does feel faster.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
boostmiser said:
The last two mornings it's been in the 30's here and the car is noticably faster. Second gear spins from a 20-30mph roll. Now that could also be the tires not getting a good grip on the cold road?
Definitely...don't forget that summer performance tires have a relatively high glass transition temperature, so as temps fall through the 30's, the tread compound gets stiffer and its hysteresis declines hence it can't interact as well with the pavement asperities. It will be much easier to spin the daylights out of them at 20F than 50F ;) .

·
Registered
540 Posts
CSBM5 said:
Definitely...don't forget that summer performance tires have a relatively high glass transition temperature, so as temps fall through the 30's, the tread compound gets stiffer and its hysteresis declines hence it can't interact as well with the pavement asperities. It will be much easier to spin the daylights out of them at 20F than 50F ;) .
OMG

Getting out my Funk & Wagnalls. :haha:

regards,

al

·
Registered
101 Posts
CSBM5 said:
The last time I heard someone say "glass transition temperature" was.... **** it was a loooong time ago!!! Let me guess... Materials or Ceramic Eng?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
less heat means the car is making a bit more power, and the road is less sticky so your able to spin more.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jayson said:
less heat means the car is making a bit more power, and the road is less sticky so your able to spin more.
Yep; all intuitive -
My point more so was that the beast has markedly less hesitation than just after the "cleaning" - (smoother still days later) - perhaps as a function of cleaning fluids evaporating from MAF surfaces :confused2

NO complaints - maybe I'll keep cleaning them ! ;) - V

1 - 9 of 9 Posts