BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all.

A bit over 5 years ago I purchased a 1 owner 2006 M5 that came in on trade at my dealership, had it for about a year and put 20k or so largely trouble free miles on it. About a year later had some circumstances change and had to get rid of the car.

Anywho-things have (re)changed and I've just purchased, sight unseen, from Manheim California(I'm in Ohio):

-Monaco Blue on Silverstone 2008 SMG.
-89k miles, No accident history, and a somewhat consistent service history at 3 different BMW dealerships in the southwest.
-Clean body and interior, so it gives me hope that it's been cared for, which excites me because by the time it arrives I'll be in it for about $9.5k.

The car has apparently been out west it's entire life, but I basically know nothing other than a video call with the seller showing me no fault codes and a car that's running with what appears to be Eisenmann exhaust. Rod bearings, clutch, etc are unknown at this point....so based on that I've already purchased BE Bolts, ACL Std Bearings(and related bits) Diff Service Kit, and a few other key "probably get it outta the way" items from ECS to get done straight away.

Anywho-come to find out, I can get a Allstate PremierCare ESC on this car, up to 3/36k with a $100 deductible. I'd only plan on the 1 year($4900) to weed out any potential big $ issues because ultimately like most other cars in my past-I do build them to the point where no warranty would touch them. From some of the invoices I see/have seen on these cars over the years I think even 12 months of coverage would be worth it here, especially since the PremierCare is a pretty comprehensive gettup.

I'd just like to see what the group at large here thinks of the warranty, and of course, reintroduce myself. The car is scheduled to be delivered late Tuesday or early Wednesday 6/24.

TiA.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
For 9k you can’t really complain. Careful with the 1 yr warranty. I got a 1 yr warranty for my RR and submitted a claim 1-2 months after ownership and they said nope pre-existing and would not cover. So I said no problem...I’m cancelling my warranty. Got the prorated back and used that for the repair And banked the rest.

·
Registered
2006 M5
35 Posts
Congratulations! That's a clean car in my favorite color combo. Folks better snatch e60 m5's up while they still can. They offer an exceptional value. I know they're underappreciated now days but the car just has to many things going for it not to become a future classic. I really do believe their prices won't be any cheaper than today. Eventually they'll start creeping up just like every other M car, I've watched it happen to the e30 M3, E28 M5, E34 M5, E46 M3, E36 M3 is up next and the E9X & E60's won't be to far behind. W124 500E is another one that history has been kind to.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Clean body and interior, so it gives me hope that it's been cared for, which excites me because by the time i
Wow!!! $9500!!
Hard to beat that! Welcome back!

Reactions: M5SSILE

·
Registered
437 Posts
For 9k you can’t really complain. Careful with the 1 yr warranty. I got a 1 yr warranty for my RR and submitted a claim 1-2 months after ownership and they said nope pre-existing and would not cover. So I said no problem...I’m cancelling my warranty. Got the prorated back and used that for the repair And banked the rest.
I thought you had to wait like 3 months before filing a claim? When I bought my M5 I had a couple issues. When I went to the dealership to get the issues fixed and have warranty pay, the service manager suggested I wait 3 months before filing a claim. I waited and they paid for it with no problems.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your input. I'm very excited about the color combo, I only ever see black sapphire around here and while it's a looker in just about any color...I knew I wanted interlagos or monaco with a light interior. So glad this one popped up.

Still waiting on it to show and it's KILLING ME. I bought the car on the 10th. Transport now says it will be here tomorrow, and at this rate I'm not sure how productive I'll be at work for the next 24 hours.

Essentially was told to...wait to claim any issues 60+ days out after purchase by my service advisers. They are definitely on team "get the warranty". Granted, these are guys who've seen them pay out $30k for a longblock so I guess they've got good reason to root for the warranty. Years and years ago they replaced a motor in my RX8 with no questions asked. Genuinely shocked one can even get a warranty on cars like this anymore.

Before I even stock it in to go into service for inspection I'm going to get it on my personal ISTA Toughbook and see what the car has to say. I'm hoping not too much, obviously. However, the e60 M5 has not set a precedent that gives me much reason to think it'll be error free.

Stay tuned, I guess!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At long last it arrived. 2 nights ago around 11pm. You bet your arses I was camping out at work waiting for it to show up. I set my expectations very low for what I'd find when it arrived....my low expectations were set. Someone went wild with a buffer at some point who had zero business using one.

Anywho, here's some pics!

Naturally, was bored waiting on it so, I shot one of my 540i6.

Some shots after a quick BS wash at my local place. Look at those swirls! Plus the cracked reflector and minor paint damage...

Immediately had some paint correction and touch up done; looks like a different car now.

Doing the spark plugs, oil change, filters, all that tonight. Had it on ISTA earlier today, it's throwing codes for both catalytic converters paired with the "Increased Emissions" warning so..that's neat. Immediately checked the VANOS solenoids and amazingly all 4 are well within spec. Also has a leak at the rear diff. Going in for inspection on Monday so I can finish the process and keep on keepin' on.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Amazing the level of anticipation that builds before a new acquisition arrives. Congrats!

Quick detail did wonders on those swirls. Those were crazy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Small, but noteworthy update. Found myself some sparkly bits in the filter housing yesterday. Went forward with Redline 5w-50...the oil that came out of it looked...old, was pretty thin it seemed too.

Seems somehow the oil change miraculously solved my hunting idle? That's a new one.

·
2,089 Posts
Hunting idle is typical of worn vanos solenoids. But yours checked out fine? Perhaps you read the stored solenoid quality value instead of running the actual test. Ista is not very clear about this.

It also explains why changing oil had an impact on idling.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hunting idle is typical of worn vanos solenoids. But yours checked out fine? Perhaps you read the stored solenoid quality value instead of running the actual test. Ista is not very clear about this.

It also explains why changing oil had an impact on idling.
You bring up an interesting point...I'll have to have another look at that this evening. I'll take a screen grab of what I see when I'm back in it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Shiny bits in the oil are not good news. Bearing time sooner than later it seems. I honestly would do it like...today.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shiny bits in the oil are not good news. Bearing time sooner than later it seems. I honestly would do it like...today.
Absolutely agreed

That's where I'm at on the bearings, unfortunately my Indy is booked out until August so I'll be waiting until then. Monitoring the situation the best I can, however worst comes to worst, this warranty may get put to use sooner than later if August ends up being too late. -_-

To do's include; front lower forward control arms, bearings, vanos line, SMG service...and alignment. Throttle actuators look pretty new too so I'm hoping a lot of this "typical" high dollar maintenance was done. Couldn't see a date on them though -_-. Driver door soft close doesn't function properly, and there's a pretty weighty sounding thud in the door when I close it. Regulator seems to be fine though.

So far, put about 500 miles on it & done the following:

-Spark Plugs, Coils have a 2017 date stamp so held off on those.
-Redline 5W-50 Oil Change w/MANN filter
-LED "waterfall" clear turn signal repeaters, front turn signals, reverse lights, and brake lights...coded of course.
-Replacement driver door panel aluminum trim..was kinked
-Front & Rear windshield trims were...vaporized..replaced those
-Brakes as follows;

Got some new OEM front rotors..first time I've done brakes on one of my M's...sheesh, $277/pc for rotors?! on it last night, did the powerstop ceramic pads. The lack of dust is suuuuuuper nice...not to mention no more squeal or wobble.

Interestingly enough though...all at once on the break-in drive the power steering started whining, returned home, opened the reservoir tank and was met with pink foam. Siphoned off what I could in the driveway and refilled with fresh pentosin. Fluid stayed level, no leaks visible, and it's quiet again so..who knows.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Do you have pics of the waterfall LED signals? How bright are they? Link?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Absolutely agreed

That's where I'm at on the bearings, unfortunately my Indy is booked out until August so I'll be waiting until then. Monitoring the situation the best I can, however worst comes to worst, this warranty may get put to use sooner than later if August ends up being too late. -_-
Keep in mind, if you file a claim with your warranty provider in the first couple of month for engine failure, they may decline citing pre-existing condition. Its very not cut and dry with those guys.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Congrats. Paint correction looks awesome.

What are the claim limits with your warranty? I suspect that the best case is that if your bearings go, they total the car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have pics of the waterfall LED signals? How bright are they? Link?
They aren't of high quality at all, they were 9.99 on Amazon. Ended up splitting them apart and sealed them with some clear silicone because it looks like they made zero attempt at making it water tight. I'll get some pics/video and update this post later. They look great and are pretty bright.

Keep in mind, if you file a claim with your warranty provider in the first couple of month for engine failure, they may decline citing pre-existing condition. Its very not cut and dry with those guys.
I still plan to do the bearings next month so I haven't written this engine off yet, I've reason to believe that while it's definitely in need of bearings, it should last the 500-1000 miles it'll see between now and then. I've had great luck with Allstate ESC's both personally and client experience. Even then though, there's bound to be some other nagging issues that will inevitably get me good use out of the warranty. I'm only so confident in that because it's an E60 M5. :)

Congrats. Paint correction looks awesome.

What are the claim limits with your warranty? I suspect that the best case is that if your bearings go, they total the car.
Coverage limits on it are NADA condition based retail at time of sale & it's written into the contract. So in this case $17k and change. They don't require that it be a new longblock, as a matter of fact reman is usually the first thing they try...which if I'm frank I'd be ok with. Last I knew a "new" longblock from BMW was $30k or so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts