BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I think it sounds amazing!! After reading through lots of threads and trying to figure out what options there were for attaining the sound "fitting" to me, I heard some sound clips without mufflers and decided to bite the bullet.

This is what I did:

Removed the mufflers
Added 4 lenghts of straight pipe in place
used 4 MAGNAFLOW 35123 stainless tips (shown below, cost me $165 total)

I went to a "Billy Bob" exhaust shop (cost me around $120) and basically I helped install everything so it was aligned properly. The tips are staggered like stock and I had the tucked a tiny bit more under the car too. I think it looks amazing AND sound supurb. Still refined but aggressive and virtually no drone in the car cruising at 60, 70, or 80 mph (get into the throttle a bit and you will notice some drone but nothing unbearable). I also haven't noticed any burble or popping upon letting out of the go pedal.

I hope to get some pics up soon as well as sound clips (drive by, in car, etc.).

Total cost to me: around $300.00 and lossing 60lbs or so off the cars backside and a big fat ear to ear grin :haha: :M5launch:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention if there is anyone in the Indianapolis area who would like to hear it, I would be more than glad to meet up.

Scott

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought an oem M5 exhaust system for my M5 a few weeks ago. To my dismay, I discovered that it will not fit my '99 540i without serious rear floorpan modification (that I wasn't willing to make). What I ended up doing was to install the M5 resonator assembly in place of my stock 540i assembly. From there, I ran straight 2.5" stainless steel pipe from both resonator outlets to the rear of the driver side of the car. Effectively, turning the car into a true dual exhaust setup, just exiting from the same side of the car. It looks great, sounds even better, and combine the weight loss of the original muffler, along with the power increase (which my butt-o-meter says is substantial), and the result is very impressive. So, I agree with you, the stock resonator assembly adequately muffles the exhaust noise. The result is superior noiis, but yet not intrusive. Congrats on the mod. :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
I also haven't noticed any burble or popping upon letting out of the go pedal.
Is that bad?
I always thought that was the best part of the sound:confused:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
get some pics and a vid up asap!

Must say i love the popping on my set-up, real grin factor!

cheers

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Nice Setup

Ive heard a E39 M5 before with stock resonators and no mufflers like your setup and must say the sound is very nice...I only heard him revving though and not driving.

From what you describe, sounds like you did a great job! Can't wait to see some photos of this, and good move staggering the tips, I'm sure it looks and sounds great. Post some photos. :)

FYI - I have a Britalman x-pipe (no resonators) with Magnaflow piping back to a pair of Borla XR-1 race canister style mufflers and then custom polished staggered quad tips that look fairly similar to the picture of the Magnaflow tips above, the sound is pretty amazing! :hihi:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Is that bad?
I always thought that was the best part of the sound:confused:

To each thier own. :) I've always been partial to not having any popping or burble upon letting out of the throttle. I can handle A little as long as it is not excessive.

Again, I hope to get some pics and video this week. Thanks for the comments everyone :cheers:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can't wait to see and hear this!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I think I see mufflers in that setup, though. It's dark, but I can somewhat make out the "can."

·
Registered
241 Posts
lol. It's straight pipes from the resonators back, just like the description says. Sounds exactly like my car, and he is a board member who's posted his vid here before.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Nevermind then heh. I recognize his name, also.

It sounds pretty neat, though.

·
Registered
939 Posts
kpforce1,

I bet the setup looks and sound good.

I would like to hear your setup. I don't know if there are any meets in Indy coming up. If so, make sure and post the date and time. I'd try to swing down there.

On the other hand, we should be firing up some meets in Chicago. If you could find a way up here that would be great as well.

:cheers:

·
Registered
55 Posts
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8xgxnqKtnY0

It's not mine but you get the idea...
Now THAT is sexy! Anyone know what the ramifications would be of doing this in California? I plan on keeping the car forever, will I still have to have it smogged at any point in the future (since I figure this is where I'd run into the problem).

Any and all insight are greatly appreciated. Thanks for posting the clip. Sounds like I have found my favorite (and least expensive) exhaust option. :haha:

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I had my Magnaflows installed I asked the guy to climb up and rev the car a little after they cut the stock cans off. And I have to say I was really surprised. I thought that it would be insanely loud at the very least, and pop annoyingly with the lack of back pressure, but it actually sounded really good. I would have driven away like that but I had already dropped $200 on ordering the mufflers.

I guess next time I decide to swap mufflers I will cut them off myself at home to test it out and then drive to the shop for an install.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts