BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
traded in the beast today and picked up a 2010 328Xi. Not the most exciting thing in the world but the M5 turned into a real money pit and after the fuel pump I really got tired of putting money into and was wondering what would be next. I plan on returning someday when I dont need it to be my dd.

anyway, heres a pic of the new car. just a shade over 60k and has the sport package, 6-speed, black interior and no wood trim. Satellite tuner and bluetooth.

I have my BMcable with 20-pin adapter with both dvds for sale if anyone is interested. Ill throw in an unopened quart of castrol TWS too.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I own a high mileage '01 and am having similar thoughts..they do demand a lot of attention and time. A tough decision about an awesome car.

·
Registered
421 Posts
How many miles did you have on your beast when the repairs became too much? I just picked up an 01 with 30k on her so would be good to get a frame of reference as to when the repairs overtake the fun...

That being said i DD an 07 328 xi 40 miles/day and she has been bulletproof the past 3 years and returning 24 mpg in heavy traffic. You made a good choice, and the 3 isn't too bad on handling, albeit down on power

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sorry to hear your troubles but this is coming from an ASE master technician mechanic? :eek7: How could the car be a maintenance nightmare?

I agree that the car's (and my car especially) a money pit but only because I like modding and preventative maintenance. Other than a hiccup early on in the ownership (fuel starvation problem and misfires fixed with new pump and relay), the car has otherwise been solid as my daily driver for 36K+ miles.

Granted BMW's aren't as mechanically or electrically reliable as Toyota/Lexus but I dunno...maybe I love my car too much to notice...you know 'love is blind' lovelove

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
If your beast doesn't turn you into a mechanic after 3 yrs, you aren't doing it right! hiha. So long...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I own a high mileage '01 and am having similar thoughts..they do demand a lot of attention and time. A tough decision about an awesome car.
They are awesome cars but just wasnt practical for me anymore. I need something I can drive in all types of weather and this thing just started to need to much work.

How many miles did you have on your beast when the repairs became too much? I just picked up an 01 with 30k on her so would be good to get a frame of reference as to when the repairs overtake the fun...

That being said i DD an 07 328 xi 40 miles/day and she has been bulletproof the past 3 years and returning 24 mpg in heavy traffic. You made a good choice, and the 3 isn't too bad on handling, albeit down on power

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Car had around 95k on it. I already put enough money into it and it still needed wheels, suspension work, oil leaks fixed etc.. If you can stay on top of things and take care of them as they come along you will be ok. I wouldnt let things snowball. And yes, the 328Xi could use another 100hp, and thats what the 335i is for, but i dont feel like dealing with turbos, wastegates, hpfp, injectors etc.. the reliability from the n/a engines vs the turbo engines is like night and day. The price of the N55 powered cars puts it out of my budget.

Sorry to hear your troubles but this is coming from an ASE master technician mechanic? :eek7: How could the car be a maintenance nightmare?

I agree that the car's (and my car especially) a money pit but only because I like modding and preventative maintenance. Other than a hiccup early on in the ownership (fuel starvation problem and misfires fixed with new pump and relay), the car has otherwise been solid as my daily driver for 36K+ miles.

Granted BMW's aren't as mechanically or electrically reliable as Toyota/Lexus but I dunno...maybe I love my car too much to notice...you know 'love is blind' lovelove
Im the kind of guy who wants everything perfect and I blame myself for buying a pretty worn out one to begin with. I let my heart make the decision for me when In reality I should have walked away. My intentions were to make it perfect again, but after the past few weeks its time to face reality. Im getting married this october and my fiance is already tired of me spending money on repairs for this thing. If something catastrophic would have happened id be SOL. You live you learn I guess. I just got tired of repairing things every other week. Once the fuel pump died on me I said F it. The car still needed a whole plethora of work and I just wanted out. I work on cars for a living but theres other things I want to do in my spare time. Not work on cars 24/7 :) IF i didnt need this car to get me to work and back everyday I would have kept it. Also, these threads about rod bearings and exploding engines doesnt sound like something I feel like risking. Sure it may not have happened but who knows. I wouldnt have time for something like that and wouldnt be able to have the car down for a few days.

If your beast doesn't turn you into a mechanic after 3 yrs, you aren't doing it right! hiha. So long...

Aint that the truth! lol

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Also, these threads about rod bearings and exploding engines doesnt sound like something I feel like risking. Sure it may not have happened but who knows. I wouldnt have time for something like that and wouldnt be able to have the car down for a few days.

It is great to know that this forum provided you with useful and accurate information.

Good luck.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
I dont understand how a properly maintained e39 m5 is a money pit unless aftermarket?

Any car with higher milage will need work.

·
Registered
529 Posts

Good luck OP, letting go of the high maintenance girlfriend feels good. Until you realize how boring the stable ones are :viking1:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I love the N52. Different powerband, different feel, but still a hell of an engine. E39 to E90 is a common change for a good reason - they are very similar cars from a practicality and dynamic point of view.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Good luck OP, letting go of the high maintenance girlfriend feels good. Until you realize how boring the stable ones are :viking1:
Are you talking about the car or the fiance?

OP: I understand the dilema, my solution was keeping the beast and putting together a 318ti and an M52 for dd.

Congrats and good luck with the new car and future wife.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I was able to use a 2013 328ix for a few weeks and I was very impressed with the car. The things I abhorred were the transmission and the engine auto-start/stop feature. Power delivery was quite impressive and it rode very well. I think I'd love it more with a manual transmission and that economy feature completely disabled. I wouldn't give up the M5 for it. Never. Even being on the far side of a $10k repair bill. Then again, after daily driving my M5 as my only means of transportation for almost six months now, I can see the logic in a trade like this.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Car had around 95k on it. I already put enough money into it and it still needed wheels, suspension work, oil leaks fixed etc.. If you can stay on top of things and take care of them as they come along you will be ok. I wouldnt let things snowball. And yes, the 328Xi could use another 100hp, and thats what the 335i is for, but i dont feel like dealing with turbos, wastegates, hpfp, injectors etc.. the reliability from the n/a engines vs the turbo engines is like night and day. The price of the N55 powered cars puts it out of my budget.
Hopefully you got that in manual without iDrive, or you still have some huge repair bills in front of you! That said, a manual no iDrive _28i is a RELIABLE car with very little upkeep required. You dodged the biggest bullet of them all by not getting a turbo car.

Assuming you didn't get a SULEV (CA) car, the N52 has some awesome potential. 3 stage disa manifold (~$300 used), SuperSprint headers, and an Evolve tune and you're ~300 crank hp with improved fuel economy and no decrease in reliability. Plus the car has secondary cats already, so it doesn't even become stinky! Already went through the above process once on my brothers (manual rwd no idrive) 128i M sport with awesome results, about to do the same on my wife's (manual rwd no iDrive) e91 LCI wagon.

Oh, and to take the handling from "meh" to awesome, you need three things:
1) non runflat tires
2) m3 subframe bushings
3) M3 front control arms

(all of which we did on the 128i and I have coming in the mail as we speed for the wagon)

N52 is my favorite non M BMW engine of all time! The only real weakness is the water pump should be replaced every ~60,000 miles. Failing to do so can be VERY expensive, and that aluminum/magnesium block does not take kindly to overheating.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hopefully you got that in manual without iDrive, or you still have some huge repair bills in front of you! That said, a manual no iDrive _28i is a RELIABLE car with very little upkeep required. You dodged the biggest bullet of them all by not getting a turbo car.

Assuming you didn't get a SULEV (CA) car, the N52 has some awesome potential. 3 stage disa manifold (~$300 used), SuperSprint headers, and an Evolve tune and you're ~300 crank hp with improved fuel economy and no decrease in reliability. Plus the car has secondary cats already, so it doesn't even become stinky! Already went through the above process once on my brothers (manual rwd no idrive) 128i M sport with awesome results, about to do the same on my wife's (manual rwd no iDrive) e91 LCI wagon.

Oh, and to take the handling from "meh" to awesome, you need three things:
1) non runflat tires
2) m3 subframe bushings
3) M3 front control arms

(all of which we did on the 128i and I have coming in the mail as we speed for the wagon)

N52 is my favorite non M BMW engine of all time! The only real weakness is the water pump should be replaced every ~60,000 miles. Failing to do so can be VERY expensive, and that aluminum/magnesium block does not take kindly to overheating.

Yep. NO idrive and 6-speed manual or else I wouldnt have bothered. I really like the N52 as well. Revs really easily and the midrange torque is nice as well. Cant believe how smooth it is. The car is basically how I would have optioned it. Sport pack, 6-speed, satellite tuner etc.. Only thing missing are the xenons but I can manage. I know about the water pump so Im going to do that in the near future. that seems to be the only thing they suffer from. that and oil leaks. The car was an ex CPO car so im wondeirng if it transfers. Just rolled over 60k so its good til 100k if thats the case.

I also get a kick out of some of these comments. Im not a millionaire, and spending $400 every month for some sort of repair really sucked the joy out of owning one of these cars. I want to buy a house next year and like i said, if something major were to happen I would be screwed. I dont know whats wrong with not wanting to constanty deal with some sort of repair every 2 weeks. I sunk $2k into that thing and it still needed more. I just didnt feel like dealing with it anymore so I bought something 10 years newer and doesnt have anything broken, missing or worn out.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Nothing is "wrong" with wanting to trade in, upgrade, replace, downgrade, or what ever you do. The real dumb move was to tell everyone who still owns one is to say " well boys it's been fun but time to trade in the beast for a family car." I think beast training and maintenance has always been expensive since horse racing was invented! So, enjoy your pony (sorry could not resist).

Now with that said, good luck, enjoy your new ride, and your soon to be life changing event. Thanks for your posting and trying out a beast for a while. The ownership will be a conversation that mellows with age.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Seeing threads like this make me feel like this is going to be me in the future. My solution to the money for mods/upkeep has always been cheap beater cars to drive from A to B. The M5 is just for fun. I wouldn't want to use it as a DD. I feel like you're going to be less than content with the new vehicle. Record a few sound clips of an M5 driving around town and play them while you drive, haha.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Seeing threads like this make me feel like this is going to be me in the future. My solution to the money for mods/upkeep has always been cheap beater cars to drive from A to B. The M5 is just for fun. I wouldn't want to use it as a DD. I feel like you're going to be less than content with the new vehicle. Record a few sound clips of an M5 driving around town and play them while you drive, haha.
Meh, if you're not going to daily it, it makes no sense IMO. The m5 is very compromised for comfort/quiet/practicality.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Did you do your own repair work or have to get it done at a shop? Most of the normal maintenance on e39 M5's is very DIY.

These cars are aging now, so expecting to keep one in perfect condition and still DD is somewhat unrealistic. A lot of the pristine cars guys have here on the forum are usually pleasure use cars. Those of us that have put serious miles on one of these know that after a certain point, you just have to let it go and accept that the car is not going to be perfect if driven on a regular basis. I've had my M5 almost 7 years now and put 100k miles on it myself. At 145k, it needs a lot of things, both cosmetically and mechanically. The old boy cleans up nice, but I'm not obsessing over every little thing anymore.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts