BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, happy Thanksgiving to all the M5 board members. I'm Thankful for my first Thanksgiving as a M5 owner..

In order to celebrate I went out to put my Weisslicht toys on. I put in my new smoked LED side turn signals first. Looks great on carbon black. After a break (it was -2 wind chill here today) I went out to attempt the new halos. I tried to look up the Bimmian instructions but what they say is different than what I have in my box. I had two metal housings with pigtails and some adapters. I took out the old halo lights and I realized something was funky. On my driver side someone had soldered the wires to the plug that attaches to the light housing. From the solder joint two extra wires were just hanging out. The passenger side was soldered as well.

Moving forward I tried the boxed adapters with the ones soldered onto my wires. Nope. I tried modifying the adapters. Still nothing. grrrrrrr SO I decided to keep moving forward. I cut where it was soldered and put a spade connection on either wire. I then put the receptor spade (or whatever they are called) on the end of my new halo light. I tried it out. Halo looks white and good.. :applause: However, I can't just get the halos to be on. :crying:Also illuminated is the high beam housing. Sorry for such a long story but can someone help me out??? Thanks!

Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for any confusion. As a picture is much better..

As you can see when I turn on the park lights the halos are on and look GOOD with the WL upgrade. However, it seems that I have my dang brights on full time. The inner lamp is ALWAYS on. Even with no lights on. I think someone hot wired some stuff and I would like to get back to normal..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Look like DRLs to me as well. They illuminate the bulb but not full power so your high beams arent really on

You can go to the dealer to have this feature programmed off. It seems weird though, I would be concerned that the angel eyes somehow shorted something. If you didnt have DRLs before, and do now, I would uninstall the angel eyes and contact Weisslicht. Sounds like you got the wrong units.

Edit: shouldnt it only be a BULB or bulb and housing to upgrade? The stock angel eyes are already wired in on those headlights, nothing should need to be soldered...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More Photos

I remember a difference when I moved to the m5 from the 540i, so I think my DRLs have just been on since I bought it. Its only about a month old so I'm not 100% certain.

I'm pretty sure the unit is right. But my adapters didn't fit. This is where I am concerned. In the photos you can see the difference between the WL (round) and the ones that were soldered in my car (three rounded one square edge). You can also see where they cut the wires and soldered in the existing plug. I was very careful when I removed the crappy soldered stuff and put in the WL units. However, it is possible I messed something up.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Blackxs,

The problem is me being a little stupid. I was so worried about the soldered connections that I found that I think I totally forgot about possibility of DRLs.

If my halos look like that after I fixed the soldered connections can I assume I did it right? I'll have it checked for error codes anyway in cause something did short out...

Also, could I change those bulbs so that they match the halo white now? Im sure this is a newbie question...

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Yes, if you had DRLs before, and your headlights look like that now, then you are fine. I guess you soldered the angel eyes to be on whenever the car is on. Looks right to me

Look up Sylvania bulbs for the whiter illumination. They can be a little bluish but seem like the angel eye color. They are blue bulbs though, so if blue bulbs will bother you when the car is off you might want to look for the stealth bulbs, they are chrome covered to appear invisible in the housings. Not sure if they make stealth bulbs in hyperwhite though.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Glad to hear that you finally got the WL units working despite the shady wiring from the previous owner.

Take a look at Navcoder with the Rolf Resler interface to disable your DRLs. Any dealer / indepedent mechanic with AutoLogic coder can also do this for you, for a nominal fee.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinking that I will order a unit so I can do it myself. I have a feeling that my closest dealer (about an hour and a half) is going to charge me more than it would cost to get the unit and register navcoder. Plus then I can play with those settings :D

Thanks for all the help guys. Its nice to have somewhere I can solve my newbie issues...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts