BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys,

I've done a bit of searching around on here and reached out to the vendor, but I'm hoping someone has a better answer for me than JLeviSW.

I recently installed a set of Weisslicht Angel Eyes on my '08 ///M5 and have been getting codes saying the DRL's are out.

The Guys at JLeviSW are always great about customer service, but I'm upset at this response...

"Hi Ian,

I apologize for the error codes you have been experiencing with the WeissLicht Angel Eyes. Unfortunately, there are some 08 M5's that do throw error codes with these bulbs installed. I can set you up to return those for a full refund. "

Yes, they are a reputable shop and are doing the right thing offering a full refund, that's not my problem. My problem is I WANT "HID/LED" ANGEL EYES WITHOUT CODES... and I LOVE the way these look right now.

Anyone have a fix? Or have suggestions as to what product I should buy? JLeviSW recommended "Xenesis" bulbs...

As always, Thanks in advance guys! Sorry if this has been covered and I missed it in my search.

:cheers:

·
Banned
194 Posts
Your upset that they are offering you a refund..... Just try a different bulb.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your upset that they are offering you a refund..... Just try a different bulb.
Nope, as I mentioned they are a stand up company doing the right thing!

I'm upset that I'm getting codes, I was hoping someone had a fix.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i thought this was a known problem. you can go to your idrive and turn off DRLs. the errors will go away. but to run your AE's only you will need to manually turn the head light knob to parking lights instead of leaving it in auto. When low beams are on, there are no errors.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i thought this was a known problem. you can go to your idrive and turn off DRLs. the errors will go away. but to run your AE's only you will need to manually turn the head light knob to parking lights instead of leaving it in auto. When low beams are on, there are no errors.
So you're saying that "error-free" really means "error free when low-beams are on"?

Isn't the point of these AE's to be able to drive without the low beams? :dunno:

·
Company Representative for Jlevi StreetWerks
1,005 Posts
Hey there,

Unfortunately the 08 M5s are throwing us for a loop here, they seem to be one of the few models that are throwing errors with the WeissLicht LED Angel Eyes. We are working with our factory to get it resolved but we don't have a work around just yet. The Xenesis bulbs are a good and affordable option that will change it to a whiter color and maintain the factory brightness. You could do an HID kit but I don't recommend it as it tends to drown out the headlight.

·
Registered
90 Posts
yeah i know... it sucks, i have the kit too. you can either choose to ignore the error codes or turn off the DRL and manually turn on the AE's. I didn't really want to go back to a halogen solution so i just turned off DRLs for now.

Reactions: H0LLYW00D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i know... it sucks, i have the kit too. you can either choose to ignore the error codes or turn off the DRL and manually turn on the AE's. I didn't really want to go back to a halogen solution so i just turned off DRLs for now.
Yeah this is just the opposite of what I was hoping for, but it answers my question. Hopefully there will be a way to resolve this down the road.

Thanks

:cheers:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just got these and installed them today. I haven't had time to call SV, but I got the error also ('08 E60).
Considering asking for a return, but being a weekend, I'll try to contact them early next week.

My question to others with the Weisslichts is: are the AE rings with the Weisslicht LED installed two very different brightnesses?

I've noticed that the factory bulb provides both the inner and outer (meaning closer to the center of the car) rings are about the same brightness. The Weisslichts, the smaller / inner DRL ring is brighter, while the outer / larger / headlight ring is markedly dimmer by comparison. I tried rotating the LED assembly around, thinking that the emitters were not lining up, but they seem to be aligned with the fiber optics.

If I do end up returning them, has anyone simply tried replacing the H8 bulbs with a different temperature one, like the Silverstar or PIAA?

Thanks!

Alan S.
Vail, AZ

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have the LUX angels eyes with no error codes. Cost more but worth it IMHO.

Reactions: BMWBIKR

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Weisslicht are pretty crap bulbs, had them and caused problems too! Mtec V3's are the way to go for pre-lci, Lux for LCI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts