BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had a weird noise coming from the front of the car only upon turning right. It sounds like a hum, or a bad wheel bearing and comes from the front and is directly affected by the speed of the car. Therefore, if i am turning right and driving slowly, i may barely hear it or not at all, but while i am driving 80mph and make even a slight turn with a steering wheel the humming (noise) becomes very apparent.

I have googled for solutions and read various threads and it boiled down to two things. First, and simplest, was that there was not enough Pentosin 7.1 in the container. So i bought a liter and filled it to about 1cm off the top--as instructed in the manual--even though it looked like that wasn't the likely culprit. That did not solve anything. It's been two weeks since then and the noise is still as apparent as it was before.

The second solution seems to point to a bad wheel bearing on the left wheel which allegedly comes under stress upon turning to the right. I am not really convinced that it is the bearing or something to that effect, because i've had bad bearings before and they were always bad--not just upon turning to one side.

I've started considering the wind noise on the bumper and alternator induction system--as if that is a possibility!?! But i just don't know anymore :dunno:

Has anyone had a similar experience and therefore may be knowledgeable as to what this could possibly be? Bad suspension components?? I've examined it visually and i cannot see anything wrong with any of it. I do occassionally get the typical thrust arm shudder between 55-65mph upon breaking--this happens randomly--and i have about 20k miles on the lemfoerder suspension components i tightened properly with the car on the ground.

Any advice or opinions are welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I've kind of had both. Wheel bearing you will hear/feel with the wheel off if the ground. I posted a clip of before/after when I changed mine.

The bumper noise I had was due to the lining in the wheel arch area not being fitted back under the bumper properly.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Power steering pump?

Sounds a problem I had a year ago when the mechanic I used neglected to refill the PS/SLS reservoir. Fresh oil did not solve the problem immediately, it took a couple of months for the whining noise to completely go away.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, i put the car on the lift and the rear passenger wheel has some play in it--the opposite wheel does not. However when i rotate it on the lift there is no vibration/noise that i could feel but the the weight is not on it either. I am thinking that Davidoli is keeping his testicle. I plan on replacing them both in the rear and see what that does.

I did buy CHF 7.1 and refilled it about two weeks ago, and the humming noise is still there and exactly the same, if not louder.
I did not check the fender liner, and that is a very good guess, so i will check it today.
I did look at my bumper thinking that something on it was loose or making this strange (wind) noise, because it is mostly noticeable at high speeds 60+mph.

I will keep you posted as i figure out what this is, but so far it looks like to be a bad bearing. Anyone have a DIY or advice/tricks of the trait in regards to this job?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks man. I think that's it. My rear wheel definitely has play but i have not tested them with wheels off like you did in those videos. Will do this week. A question if i may, did you have an option of buying only the wheel bearing or does it come in an assembly only? And did you replace just fronts or all rears too?

I have my e39 on the hoist now doing power steering hoses, belts and aux fan switch.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I replaced just the one front. The outer race is the hub, so unless you are just cleaning and repacking, you need a new assembly.

I think the rears are a pressed in bearing, so that's a bit more intensive on the equipment front... But the bearing is far cheaper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts