BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rod bearings done 10k Miles ago. Clutch and fly whee along with a crap load of other stuff just don’t in trans 2k miles ago.

I am fearing it is a warning sign of vanos pump failure. I’m hoping someone can let me know if they have heard this noise. After a 30 minute drive I pulled over to take a piss and I heard the a noise I have not heard before.. it’s hard to explain.. it’s not exactly a ticking and not exactly a squealing.. kind of in between.. it is also fairly faint however once I noticed it, it was obvious. anyway I usually have my music up when driving so I don’t know how long this noise has been going on.. if it is vanos pump pre-mature failure should I not be driving my car at all? I plan on taking it into shop straight away on Tuesday.

in the video you cannot hear the noise from the top end.. only once I put the camera under the car.. you can especially hear the sound in about the last 10 seconds of the first video.
Thank you guys

EDIT: I was able to pin point the sound in this 4 second clip.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Rod bearings done 10k Miles ago. Clutch and fly whee along with a crap load of other stuff just don’t in trans 2k miles ago.

I am fearing it is a warning sign of vanos pump failure. I’m hoping someone can let me know if they have heard this noise. After a 30 minute drive I pulled over to take a piss and I heard the a noise I have not heard before.. it’s hard to explain.. it’s not exactly a ticking and not exactly a squealing.. kind of in between.. it is also fairly faint however once I noticed it, it was obvious. anyway I usually have my music up when driving so I don’t know how long this noise has been going on.. if it is vanos pump pre-mature failure should I not be driving my car at all? I plan on taking it into shop straight away on Tuesday.

in the video you cannot hear the noise from the top end.. only once I put the camera under the car.. you can especially hear the sound in about the last 10 seconds of the first video.
Thank you guys

Yeah my e60 is pretty noisy with lots if ticking when cold and I have not heard anything like that before.. it is pretty damn loud anyway cuz of the exhaust as well. I doubt it is vanos pump related imo. Please let us know your findings.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. This noise is not during cold start. I will be starting it later today to see if it’s there during cold the cold start. It’s definitely not normal vanos noise.. my car idles and sounds perfectly normal from the top of the engine. It’s not until you go to the side of the car you can hear it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
sounds like belt whining or pulley/ tensioner bearing/ AC / alternator . definite like periphery of the engine but not internal sound. keep us posted, br

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think If it’s that it will damage anything if I drive it? I plan on taking in into shop on Tuesday

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would NOT drive it for sure, you never know what could possibly fall apart and thus take other parts off the engine with itself, also you know it is a high performance car. It might be just a 20$ part, which can cost you 2k in the end. If my car is not in 100% top shape, I don`t drive it unless I address all problems or at least I know what exactly it is, because so far we can just guess about your issue based on videos

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE

Well I took the car in on Monday and I showed my guy the sound when I pulled up. He basically said he didn’t know what it was but it wasn’t any type of knock and said I shouldn’t be too worried. He also said it’s not coming from the engine area.. he would put it on the lift the next day. When I went to pick it up he said he could not replicated the sound and car sounded normal on the lift.. I don’t think he drove the car enough to replicate the sound as it only comes when car is nice and hot. Anyway I thought maybe it was gone so I drove 100 miles to see a girl. Car drove amazing, even destroyed a Porsche in a little 1v1 on the way but sound is coming back after car gets nice and warm.. you do have to listen for it though. Does not affect the performance and car currently has 0 faults.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Next time you hear this, shut the car off and then remove both of the accessory belts and restart the car and run it for a few minutes (it will be fine without the water pump or alternator running). If you can't hear the noises anymore, you know it is in the accessory drive. The idler and tensioner pulley do need to be replaced at or before 100k miles anyways.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

Thank you guys

My friends m5 sounded kinda noisy and it was idler pulley

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next time you hear this, shut the car off and then remove both of the accessory belts and restart the car and run it for a few minutes (it will be fine without the water pump or alternator running). If you can't hear the noises anymore, you know it is in the accessory drive. The idler and tensioner pulley do need to be replaced at or before 100k miles anyways.

I’m kind of afraid to take the belts off myself.. I’ll look into the DIYs

·
Registered
720 Posts
I’m kind of afraid to take the belts off myself.. I’ll look into the DIYs
Get some underdrive pulleys while you're at it 😆

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another UPDATE:

Sound has gotten worse but still only when car is nice and hot. It definitely sounds more like a pulley/tensioner, my mechanic thinks so as well. I’m really hoping so.. here is a video of the worsened sound...

·
Registered
909 Posts
What happens when you turn on the AC? Original water pump??

I’ve made the suggestion before(as unpopular as it may be) that when doing Rod bearing job, replace the idler and tensioner pulleys, the belts, water pump and entertainment replacing the alternator. The reason is because all the work has to be done to remove the panels, fan, and belts anyways for rod bearings. The parts ( excluding the alternator) are less than 150. Other people have posted recently comparable parts, that’s what I had done as well. Worn pulleys will spin more freely that new ones.

it’s amazing how quite the engine is when the accessory drive is not running. I’m pretty sure that if you remove the belts those noises will disappear.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I had an idler pulley disintegrate at about 85k miles and it shredded my belt. Luckily I was only doing 35 in the right lane. A must for a higher-mileage beast. I'm not sure if there was a similar noise, as I hadn't had the car long and didn't know what I was getting into :love:

Reactions: ZacMez

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What happens when you turn on the AC? Original water pump??

I’ve made the suggestion before(as unpopular as it may be) that when doing Rod bearing job, replace the idler and tensioner pulleys, the belts, water pump and entertainment replacing the alternator. The reason is because all the work has to be done to remove the panels, fan, and belts anyways for rod bearings. The parts ( excluding the alternator) are less than 150. Other people have posted recently comparable parts, that’s what I had done as well. Worn pulleys will spin more freely that new ones.

it’s amazing how quite the engine is when the accessory drive is not running. I’m pretty sure that if you remove the belts those noises will disappear.
Thank you for the info GM, I am not sure if it’s the original water pump. I totally would have replaced all that when I did my bearings if I knew. I know my mechanic did replace an idler pulley when doing my RBs ( I think) but that was 10k miles ago . My car goes into the shop on Saturday but I have a date tomorrow and I would like to take the M5. if the belt flys off will it cause catastrophic failure? I know this is a dumb question. Also the sound only comes once the car is nice and hot, I know this for sure now

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thank you for the info GM, I am not sure if it’s the original water pump. I totally would have replaced all that when I did my bearings if I knew. I know my mechanic did replace an idler pulley when doing my RBs ( I think) but that was 10k miles ago . My car goes into the shop on Saturday but I have a date tomorrow and I would like to take the M5. if the belt flys off will it cause catastrophic failure? I know this is a dumb question. Also the sound only comes once the car is nice and hot, I know this for sure now
Depends on which belt. One of them, the front one, means you lose ac and power steering. That one you can live without, just uncomfortably (I know from personal experience). If the other one goes, you lose water pump and alternator. That’s bad news bears.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So if I lose water pump and alternator can it throw timing and destroy the engine? Ugh, it’s frustrating the car runs perfect, and decides to make this damn sound when I have a hot date lol. I don’t want to risk my car though

·
Registered
221 Posts
So if I lose water pump and alternator can it throw timing and destroy the engine? Ugh, it’s frustrating the car runs perfect, and decides to make this damn sound when I have a hot date lol. I don’t want to risk my car though
No not timing but you will almost definitely overheat since your water pump stops spinning. And alternator obviously you lose charging capabilities. It will probably leave you stranded if the back belt snaps.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts