BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I got in my M5 and noticed that the Navigation screen didn't turn on. The radio will work for a the first couple minutes then it will turn off.

I tried unplugging my radio plugs in the trunk and didn't have any positive results. I am going to reset the battery and hopefully that fixes it but if not, any recommendations on where to start looking or what I should fix?

I also have the media bridge device on this car and it is equipped with M-Audio if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
119 Posts
Does the light by the volume nob light up when the radio is working? Does it go away when it stops working?

It sounds like you've got a loose connection somewhere. Pull out the nav head unit, and check the plug on the back.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup the light comes on for the radio knob when it's working and goes away when it shuts off. I can push the button back on but no sound comes out. The whole time, nothing is displayed on the navi screen.

When I open the driver door, I can tell that the screen is trying to do something but nothing is displayed.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
This same thing happened to me when I took the Nav reader out to take it apart and try to fix it. It keeps spitting the cd back out and Nav no longer works. When I reinstalled, the radio stayed on. Hope this helps. Sounds like a loose connection or bad Nav reader.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Interesting. You may not actually have a loose connection. However, since it isn't that difficult to get in and reseat the connections, I'd recommend doing that first.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Have you disconnected the battery lately? If so, did you wait for the light to go out on the NAV unit in the trunk before disconnecting the battery?

I had the exact same issue and it ended up being the MKII NAV unit. Bought a used MKIII from Clemster and all is well now.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. You may not actually have a loose connection. However, since it isn't that difficult to get in and reseat the connections, I'd recommend doing that first.
Any DIY posts on that ( Are you referring to the screen in the dash ? )

I'm going to disconnect the battery from the car for a few minutes and unplug the rear radio/dvd connections.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I am still having the same issue and I'm not sure where to look for some answers.

I have searched many threads and tried pulling out fuse 7 & 41 while leaving my key in the ignition with the lights on and disconnecting the battery but that didn't fix it ( recommended from another thread ) .

I checked the fuses in the trunk but they all seemed fine.

Help :(

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I am still having the same issue and I'm not sure where to look for some answers.

I have searched many threads and tried pulling out fuse 7 & 41 while leaving my key in the ignition with the lights on and disconnecting the battery but that didn't fix it ( recommended from another thread ) .

I checked the fuses in the trunk but they all seemed fine.

Help :(

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ignition switch going bad. When your radio/navi goes out. Pull down the drivers side sunvisor and open the mirror cover. If you steering wheel goes up and down you have a bad ignition switch. Replace and all should be good.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ignition switch going bad. When your radio/navi goes out. Pull down the drivers side sunvisor and open the mirror cover. If you steering wheel goes up and down you have a bad ignition switch. Replace and all should be good.
Thanks for the heads up - I remember reading that but wasn't sure how that correlated.

Is it an easy install ?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I had this same exact issue and fixed it today by changing the nav unit in the trunk. PM member zubehor, he is selling a MK4 for $550 and has MK3 that he'll sell.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought a new ignition switch that I will be installing tomorrow along with some front motor mounts.

My steering wheel does not move when I pull down the visor and slide the mirror cover.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replaced the ignition switch tonight with a new one from BMW but it did not fix my problem.:grrrr: Good thing is that I don't have to worry about the other weird electrical issues in the future. :cheers:

I had this same exact issue and fixed it today by changing the nav unit in the trunk. PM member zubehor, he is selling a MK4 for $550 and has MK3 that he'll sell.
I'm convinced that it is probably my navigation unit in the trunk as you mentioned. I wonder what part goes wrong exactly and if it can be fixed easily. Time to do some searching.
:M5eyes:

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Something that has to do with soldering contacts. I kept my old one to do some experimenting.

If you find a MK3 for around $300, jump on it. That was the absolute best price I found. Took about three minutes to install the new one, and the car is as good as new.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
This option was posted in a thread I started recently about my problem. I had problems because I was working on a mac. I decided to just call it quits because the blank screen was driving me INSANE, and I didn't have any more time to invest in solving the problem. Hopefully this works out for you, but people who posted in my thread mentioned that this is a possible fix, but will probably not help. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/213419-no-audio-but-power-nav-screen.html

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seems like those links are out dated and the software has been upgraded.

I posted in the other thread and hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts