BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too many faults with the M these days. At least on mine.

My adaptation value on inpa is 0.10 and -0.01 and during the drive tonight, I got some heck of a misfires that went away after a reset.

What could it possibly be..

·
Registered
216 Posts
When did it start misfiring?
After hard driving and redlining?
Of just cruising in traffic?
There’s 4 adaptation values for mixtures.
Additive for each bank (short term)
Multiplicative for each bank (long term)
You need to look at all 4 to interpret them correctly.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
When did it start misfiring?
After hard driving and redlining?
Of just cruising in traffic?
There’s 4 adaptation values for mixtures.
Additive for each bank (short term)
Multiplicative for each bank (long term)
You need to look at all 4 to interpret them correctly.
Hard driving and redlining. SES came up so I pulled over at the nearest stop. Where multiple misfires happened.

ST is 0.10 and -0.01
LT is 1.05 and 1.02

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hard driving and redlining. SES came up so I pulled over at the nearest stop. Where multiple misfires happened.

ST is 0.10 and -0.01
LT is 1.05 and 1.02
Those trims are fine.
Yes there’s a slight difference in ST trims but at full noise the engine isn’t going to care.
How old are your spark plugs?
How old are your coils?
Didn’t you just get a tune?
Was it run on a Dyno to check AFM’s at full load?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those trims are fine.
Yes there’s a slight difference in ST trims but at full noise the engine isn’t going to care.
How old are your spark plugs?
How old are your coils?
Didn’t you just get a tune?
Was it run on a Dyno to check AFM’s at full load?
Getting Plugs and coils done tomorrow, but I will most likely be using used coils or I will have to wait for weeks to get new ones in.
Plugs are only 2 yrs old NGK ones. While coils are pretty old. I'm assuming at least 5 years and at maximum original.

I got the jailbreak tune for 91 fuel I think. The dyno shop couldn't get the afm to work so I couldnt get it done :(

·
Registered
216 Posts
Plugs will do 40k Mi.
Coils rarely fail, it’s the suppressors that actually fail but because they’re replaced as one unit it’s usually considered that the coil is faulty.

I’ve PM’d you about your AFR.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've only done 6000km after the plug change which comes out to approx. 3700 miles. Probably not coils I guess.

revving it to ~5500RPM and nothing. The car feels fine. But a bit of rough idle on warm startup.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Probably not coils I guess.
It might be an injector, but coil is still a good choice. It is the same misfire just wrongly diag'ed by misfire detection. 1 and 6 are opposite cyls. they are both at the top when the misfire happens. Likely it is the cyl the misfire module puts second. It turns off the first one and then still sees the misfire so reports the second. No way to know which it is detected first unless you look at the time stamp in INPA. If INPA has that my scanner requires I data log to figure out which is first.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It might be an injector, but coil is still a good choice. It is the same misfire just wrongly diag'ed by misfire detection. 1 and 6 are opposite cyls. they are both at the top when the misfire happens. Likely it is the cyl the misfire module puts second. It turns off the first one and then still sees the misfire so reports the second. No way to know which it is detected first unless you look at the time stamp in INPA. If INPA has that my scanner requires I data log to figure out which is first.
Hey Sailor.

As for the injectors, I've been thinking of usingn Lucas Upper Cyl. Lube as you have previously recommended double dose.
Is it still valid? I personally never tried any Lucas stuff. So...

Cheers,
Gabe

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Hey Sailor.

As for the injectors, I've been thinking of usingn Lucas Upper Cyl. Lube as you have previously recommended double dose.
Is it still valid? I personally never tried any Lucas stuff. So...

Cheers,
Gabe
That is my secondary, prevent problems, solution. If it is an injector then there might be crud in it, you need to clean that out first with a P.E.A. cleaner like Techron or Guaranteed To Pass, and likely many more now since the patent has expired. It is always strong stuff with a warning to not use more than once in some miles. I think it is 5K but that might be KMs, sorry don't remember but the warning is an indicator you have the right stuff and it will be on the bottle somewhere.
It might be a mechanical problem that cleaners and lube will not fix, keep that in the back of your mind. If nothing happens when you move coils around then I would go back to thinking injectors even if the cleaner and lube do nothing.
As far as how effective Lucas is, I don't know but my butt tells me it works and I never have injector problems, but the double dose is only for the first two tanks after the PEA cleaner then just what the bottle says, I think. I have a bottle I put one tank worths in and dump that in when I fill up. I must have figured something out when I first marked the bottle.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I tried to get the lucas shipped to me, but shipping anything petroleum based is a pain.
I will try to get something and I will treat the injectors with a bottle of techron.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You seem to be in the US? Lucas will be available at any parts store, NAPA whatever. It likely is available at bigger gas stations but your wallet will take a hit there.
I am actually not in the US, I used to though.
At South Korea, we just received techron about a year ago. Before then, I would have to stuff my luggage with techron and engine oil. lol

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
I am actually not in the US, I used to though
Then substitute, You must have parts stores? Go to one and ask for advice. Lucas upper head lube was originally designed for diesel engines but then it was discovered it works great in gas because gas has less lube than diesel does. It is actually my experience with diesels that has me hooked on the product. There are lots of diesel products that offer lube to the upper head.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Then substitute, You must have parts stores? Go to one and ask for advice. Lucas upper head lube was originally designed for diesel engines but then it was discovered it works great in gas because gas has less lube than diesel does. It is actually my experience with diesels that has me hooked on the product. There are lots of diesel products that offer lube to the upper head.
Will do.
With a bottle of techron, this car always feels so nice and smooth. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts