BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came to a quick stop went to go and noticed the shift was abnormally clunky. Then I noticed that the gear number in the heads up and in the dash was blinking. The car shifted fine after that but i still get a blinking gear number whether in D mode or S mode no matter which level D1 or D5 or S1 or S5. So if in 3rd the 3 blinks on and off rather then the how it just stays lit continually normally.

Drove another 15 miles home with no other issues just the blinking number. I called my service advisor and they have never heard of that and wanted me to bring it in to check for codes which I cannot do until Monday.

Anyone had this issue before? If so what happened?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Also when the hood is up and Brad has the Vorsteiner hood....I wouldd check the hood release and latch first.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have had this on three or four occasions in the 9,800miles I've travelled. Unless this is a regular thing, I wouldn't take it to the stealer- They break more than they fix. I think it's normal and just the robotized clutch getting confused. By the way, I travel in S5.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also when the hood is up and Brad has the Vorsteiner hood....I wouldd check the hood release and latch first.
Actually i noticed when i got home that the hood was not shut entirely. This morning no blinking. How random that the blinking occured after a rough shift. I will try to undo hood and test to see if starts again. Thanks for all the info. Your the best Cosmos!

I was in S5 at the time with MDM engaged. Was in nice neighborhood no need to squeel the tires between shifts.:haha2:

Hopefully I have solved the mystery this board is so helpful thanks to all for their responses.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Actually i noticed when i got home that the hood was not shut entirely. This morning no blinking. How random that the blinking occured after a rough shift. I will try to undo hood and test to see if starts again. Thanks for all the info. Your the best Cosmos!

I was in S5 at the time with MDM engaged. Was in nice neighborhood no need to squeel the tires between shifts.:haha2:

Hopefully I have solved the mystery this board is so helpful thanks to all for their responses.
Damn, good call Cosmos! Good to hear it's not something more serious.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I want to know is how the heck the guys on this board know more than the service manager and BMW centers. My service advisor asked the most knowledgeable person at dealership and no one mentioned the hood possibility.

BMW really needs better mechanic training. They should have a separate M center for service with highly trained mechanics that actually know what the heck they are doing.

In the meantime we have got each other!

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,791 Posts
There are some good mechs employed by dealers - you just have to find the right service center. My dealer is Paul Miller in Jersey and they're very good, but I live 20 blocks from the factory dealer in Manhattan and use them for service - I just let it go and pray.

That said, I've noticed that sometimes the hood pops on one side or the other - it has happened to me a few times. When the Benz is more reliable than the BMW, there's a problem.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
What I want to know is how the heck the guys on this board know more than the service manager and BMW centers. My service advisor asked the most knowledgeable person at dealership and no one mentioned the hood possibility.
Collectively, the experience shared here on the board exceeds that that any one dealer or technician can experience. There are thousands of owners here (e39 and e60) with years of experience and posts... compare this to the number that any one tech will see after 2-3 years.

·
Moderator Emeritus
916 Posts
I have had the blinking/flashing gear indicator several times (>10) over the last 2 years and never really found out what it means, I see it in the HUD with the selected gearing flashes for 3 flashes before engaging gear.

It tends to appear when drving lightly and block changing gears, jumping from say 6th down to 3rd. I just assumed it meant the SMG gearbox was currently busy and your selected gear would be engaged when the gearbox became available.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had the blinking/flashing gear indicator several times (>10) over the last 2 years and never really found out what it means, I see it in the HUD with the selected gearing flashes for 3 flashes before engaging gear.

It tends to appear when drving lightly and block changing gears, jumping from say 6th down to 3rd. I just assumed it meant the SMG gearbox was currently busy and your selected gear would be engaged when the gearbox became available.
Not referring the that blinking situation. You are right. In between shifts the gear number does blink but it stops.

My blinking was constant non-stop blinking no matter if shifting or staying in 7th gear for a long period on the freeway it just blinked constantly. This was due to the hood not being fully latched. I believe the blinking you are referring to is normal.

·
Moderator Emeritus
916 Posts
My blinking was constant non-stop blinking no matter if shifting or staying in 7th gear for a long period on the freeway it just blinked constantly.
:confused2 I hope it was the hood and nothing more sinister lurking in the background but if it was simply the hood it is surprising the dealer didn't know about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts