BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to my searching and previous reading I may be the first one to have a problem with a DDM Tuning Apexcone kit. I think I just have crappy luck, that's my main problem! From the first night after installation of my HID fog lights, which I'm sure are installed correctly because I spent a lot of time making sure I do it right and wouldn't have to go back and redo everything, I have had a weird problem with them. I first noticed that the second time I turned them on, one side wasn't working, even though I tested them during install and everything was fine. Huh. So I first tried flicked them off and back on before I started taking things apart again, and this time the side that was not working was now on, but now the opposite side was off! I'm like what the heck, I haven't even touched the car yet or moved it. So I try the switch off and back on method again, and guess what? Both are now working! And for the last week I'm averaging problem-free operation about 2 out of 3 uses, and then on the 3rd or 4th use the fogs take turns taking a break, which I have to fix by turning them off and back on. It's very annoying because I refuse to drive around with a crooked looking front end, so first I have to turn the fog lights on, and look at the ground to make sure both sides are illuminated, before turning the headlights on. Pretty frustrating. Usually I like to turn the head lights and fogs on at the same time, but I can't do that anymore. I don't think I have a bad connection because the problem affects both sides randomly and bad connections don't fix themselves, so what could be going on?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Quick? are you using a resistor packs?...try this when you start the car don't turn the foglight switch on right away wait a few minutes...the HID fogs draws alot of power from the battery hence one light turns on and the other does not...try it and keep me posted and hope this helps...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Occasionally I used to have similar issues with my fogs too but soon as I added capacitors to the fogs it went away. I think it has to do with the steady power. Add a capacitor or buy a kit to take care of this. If am not wrong laidback recommended a site to buy this kit on a previous thread.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I had the same issue with my hid fogs. Upon initial start up of the fogs, the driver side might not turn on. After turning off the fogs and turning back on, the passenger side works (I know because the check front foglights message disappears). After re-examining all the connections, I found out it was a "loose" connection between the ballast and the bulb:

Generic picture, but the plug from #2 that you plug into #1 may not have a great contact, even though it may feel like it when you push both clips together. I wrapped the connection with some good 3M electrical tape, and haven't had a problem since.

Reactions: Ted

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick? are you using a resistor packs?...try this when you start the car don't turn the foglight switch on right away wait a few minutes...the HID fogs draws alot of power from the battery hence one light turns on and the other does not...try it and keep me posted and hope this helps...
Yes, I am using the warning code eliminators that came with the kit and those are doing their job very well (I think). Even when one of the lights doesn't work I still don't get an error message. I have since tried going in there again and unplugged and re-connected all the connections plus wrap the connections in tape to ensure connectivity and weather-resistance but the problem continues. I guess it may help if I wait a few minutes, maybe the LCM needs to finish it's diagnostic procedure and the fogs are having a conflict with it, I will try this and see if it helps. Thanks for the ideas and if anything else comes to mind please let me know.

·
Registered
970 Posts
According to my searching and previous reading I may be the first one to have a problem with a DDM Tuning Apexcone kit. I think I just have crappy luck, that's my main problem! From the first night after installation of my HID fog lights, which I'm sure are installed correctly because I spent a lot of time making sure I do it right and wouldn't have to go back and redo everything, I have had a weird problem with them. I first noticed that the second time I turned them on, one side wasn't working, even though I tested them during install and everything was fine. Huh. So I first tried flicked them off and back on before I started taking things apart again, and this time the side that was not working was now on, but now the opposite side was off! I'm like what the heck, I haven't even touched the car yet or moved it. So I try the switch off and back on method again, and guess what? Both are now working! And for the last week I'm averaging problem-free operation about 2 out of 3 uses, and then on the 3rd or 4th use the fogs take turns taking a break, which I have to fix by turning them off and back on. It's very annoying because I refuse to drive around with a crooked looking front end, so first I have to turn the fog lights on, and look at the ground to make sure both sides are illuminated, before turning the headlights on. Pretty frustrating. Usually I like to turn the head lights and fogs on at the same time, but I can't do that anymore. I don't think I have a bad connection because the problem affects both sides randomly and bad connections don't fix themselves, so what could be going on?
some problem here with same set up. I just turning it off and on again and problem is fixed

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
some problem here with same set up. I just turning it off and on again and problem is fixed
That makes 2 of us, glad to hear I'm not the only one but sorry to hear you're having problems as well. I plan on calling DDM when I have time, maybe tomorrow to ask about this and I will post their answer. I would email them but I don't think they advertise an email address.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Did you try my advise?
That makes 2 of us, glad to hear I'm not the only one but sorry to hear you're having problems as well. I plan on calling DDM when I have time, maybe tomorrow to ask about this and I will post their answer. I would email them but I don't think they advertise an email address.

·
Registered
107 Posts
hey i got their h.i.d kit for my fog lights and i was having the same problem now they just dont work. In my old M5 i had the stock hid kit with resistor packs in my fogs and it worked fine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Same problem with the HID kit I bought (apexcone). They first work fine, then, after maybe 5 min, they go out (sometimes one at a time). When this happens, I can not get them to work again. Really weird and annoying.

Put them in my friends E46 M3 and they work like a charm. So the kit is ok. I also replaced my battery and had the dealer check my alternator (which is just spot-on).

Must say that I did not yet try a resistor pack because I believed this was only needed to delete an error message. Since I only got the error message when the lights were actually out I figured that this behaviour was normal. The kit is also advertised as a complete solution package...

I guess I'll have to try the resistors first, but I'll keep an eye on this topic.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you try my advise?
Yes, I have tried it and so far so good but I have only had 2 opportunities to turn them on so it's too early to say if that is a possible solution or just one of those few times where the kit decides it wants to do it's job :7:

All-thanks for the input, we have 4 now so that tells us that Apexcone is not the 100% problem-free HID conversion that my research indicated it was. I will mention you guys to DDM when I call. BTW have any of you contacted DDM about your troubles? If yes, what did they say?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Interesting, i have the Apexcone 9006 HID kit with 6000k Bulbs in the fogs of my m5 and have not had any problems with them since day 1. I have the ballast mounted upright with the wires going up on the side of the brake ducts. I also have the H1 6000k DDM kit (equal of Apexcone) and they work fine in my lexus also. I would definitely call them and tell them your problems. Thats what the warranty is for.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Same problem with the HID kit I bought (apexcone). They first work fine, then, after maybe 5 min, they go out (sometimes one at a time). When this happens, I can not get them to work again. Really weird and annoying.

Put them in my friends E46 M3 and they work like a charm. So the kit is ok. I also replaced my battery and had the dealer check my alternator (which is just spot-on).

Must say that I did not yet try a resistor pack because I believed this was only needed to delete an error message. Since I only got the error message when the lights were actually out I figured that this behaviour was normal. The kit is also advertised as a complete solution package...

I guess I'll have to try the resistors first, but I'll keep an eye on this topic.

I'm having the same issue with my new HID fogs... did u find a solution yet? and what is this resistor pack I keep hearing about?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Speaking of Apexcone HID, I got a set for my fogs and I am having a separate set of problems. When I start the car the hids come on for about 1 sec, which makes me thing that is the LCM doing a check. Once the car is fired up, if I flick on the fogs, I get the "Check foglights" error. I have had a couple of conversation with the guys from Apexcone and they are saying some cars don't like HIDs, my argument is the too many of us here have them. Anyways, if any one has any thoughts I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Shantu

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
i also have the apexcone \ ddm hid kit for my fogs had the same issues as mentioned above. called ddm and they sent me the resistor packs and all has worked out. once in a blue moon one will not light up but i just have to flick them off and on agian and all is good and when i say once in a blue moon i mean once in every 100 times i turn them on

·
Registered
244 Posts
The resistor pack, or a capacitor which you can solder in yourself, will do the trick. The capacitor being the cheapest solution.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the resistor pack and a relay for current compensation. I guess I still don't know why I am getting the error from the lcm. BTW I do also have the Umnitza predator ice halos. Yesterday I got an error to check the parking lights. Seems like my electrical system is all fubar.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Apexcone HID kits from DDM tuning

<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->I bought these in the spring and had the local independent BMW shop install them. They have never worked properly. The passenger light works 80% of the time. 20% of the time both work. 50% of the time I get a "check fog lights" message. I believed the kit I bought in the spring included all the latest upgrades to eliminate these problems, but it didn't

Has anyone gotten a solution from DDM? I have emailed them but all I got was a canned response that didn't help at all.

I read on another post that I should try waiting to turn them on, AND try turning them on beforehand to see if this helps. Neither seems to work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts