BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of weight can reasonably be shaved off the beast without going nuts and gutting the car? I'm thinking in the realm of lighter wheels, exhaust, brakes, perhaps even CF hood etc...Any idea on a rough guesstimate of the weight that could be saved...and any other suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Exhaust shaves usually at least 50lbs. I believe the RPI exhaust shaves 63lbs (a full system - sec 1, 2, and 3).

I think a few lbs are saved with a Brembo brake kit, but I'm not sure how much. I think it's mostly the change to 2 piece rotors with aluminum hats that accounts for the weight savings. However, it is a more significant weight savings since it is reducing unsprung rotational mass.

Wheels can also save you quite a bit. The stock wheels aren't exactly bricks, but there are some really light solutions out there. However, light wheels aren't typically cheap.

A carbon fiber hood should save you some weight (how much, I'm not sure).

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RFLOL...thanks for the "helpful" comments ;-) Other than P90x and a colon cleanse...Do you think 100-150lbs is too optimistic?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
RFLOL...thanks for the "helpful" comments ;-) Other than P90x and a colon cleanse...Do you think 100-150lbs is too optimistic?
Considering you are 2/3rds the way there with just an exhaust, no, probably not too optimistic.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
get an M6 coupe and a titanium exhaust and carbon fiber the hell out of it lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
Take out some seats LOL actually i'm sure if you replaced the seats with lighter one it would help .... not saying it's the best option

·
Registered
90 Posts
dump the tool kit / first aid kit / fix-a-flat / junk in the trunk

only fill up to 1/2 a tank of gas.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's kind of the point...I don't wanna lose the creature comforts. No aft. mkt seats or compromising the bells and whistles...Just trying to trim a few pounds...hoping 100-150lbs. It seems like it's "reasonably" possible without going crazy! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Exhaust: Give or take -50 lbs
Different Seats: Give or take -50 lbs (could be more, I lost 110 lbs on my swap)
Wheels: 19's -8 lbs per corner -32 lbs total 20's -5 lbs per corner so -20lbs total
Hood: CF -5 lbs (the hood is already aluminum so it's not too heavy)
Trunk: CF -20 lbs (that is a guess, i know there's weight to be lost in the trunk though)
Brakes: Brembo GTs -3 lbs -12 lbs total (not too much weight saved but still some)

Total (Minimum) -169 lbs or in other words "+16.9hp"

-je

·
Registered
564 Posts
Exhaust: Give or take -50 lbs
Different Seats: Give or take -50 lbs (could be more, I lost 110 lbs on my swap)
Wheels: 19's -8 lbs per corner -32 lbs total 20's -5 lbs per corner so -20lbs total
Hood: CF -5 lbs (the hood is already aluminum so it's not too heavy)
Trunk: CF -20 lbs (that is a guess, i know there's weight to be lost in the trunk though)
Brakes: Brembo GTs -3 lbs -12 lbs total (not too much weight saved but still some)

Total (Minimum) -169 lbs or in other words "+16.9hp"

-je
Thanks John. I have found your reply to be very helpful.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Of course, I've been trying to reduce weight so I get better city MPGs and my acceleration will be better ha.

Last things I have to do is the CF trunk and rear brembos, if I didn't have my 21s my car would almost weigh as much as an M3!

You'll find that reducing weight will actually look good too, and you'll enjoy driving your ///M more, in my opinion at least

Thanks John. I have found your reply to be very helpful.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks John...That was the exact reply I was looking for. Thanks for the info, appreciate it. Btw, what type of seats did u get?

·
Registered
110 Posts
recaro makes a really nice seat that looks like the BMW performance ones available in europe .... since i'm pretty sure they make those too :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I went with the Recaro Poll Positions, 15lbs each a plus hardware 30 pounds each. 60lbs for the two seats versus 180lbs for the two stock seats

Thanks John...That was the exact reply I was looking for. Thanks for the info, appreciate it. Btw, what type of seats did u get?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I went with the Recaro Poll Positions, 15lbs each a plus hardware 30 pounds each. 60lbs for the two seats versus 180lbs for the two stock seats
You mean Pole Postions.

I agree on doing full exhaust, lighter wheels/tires, and a lighter battery. That's over 100lbs there. You can do the seats, but you'll lose all the adjustability/heating/cooling. Not worth it IMO. Headers might also weigh less than stock, you'll have to look into that. Did anyone verify if the Dinan Carbon Fiber intake boxes are lighter than the plastic ones? I doubt by much.

Do the Carbon Fiber hood/trunk and brakes if you want, and you can be really anal and get titanium lugnuts. If you really want to get serious, there's a company that will make custom Carbon Fiber Driveshafts.....ACPT Advanced Composite Products & Technology - Custom Order & Consulting I had one built for a car of mine, and not only is it stronger than stock, but lighter, reduces vibrations and should give you more power. Should be at least a 5lb savings.

You can also get lightweight carpet custom made, or remove your insulation under the carpet, but that's going to get loud.

You might be able to get someone to mold you carbon fiber body panels too, but that's going to be huge $$$$.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Got any pics? I was looking at the Cobtra Misanos or the Recaro Sportster

1 - 20 of 21 Posts