BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont understand this... :viking:
BMW puts carbon fibre roof on M6. Whats the point?
If you want to reduce weight IMHO the first thing you do is throw away stupid wood, electronic motors etc...
Again IMHO M6 is just too big and heavy to make any useful weight savings on it ??????

·
Registered
397 Posts
Val said:
I dont understand this... :viking:
BMW puts carbon fibre roof on M6. Whats the point?
If you want to reduce weight IMHO the first thing you do is throw away stupid wood, electronic motors etc...
Again IMHO M6 is just too big and heavy to make any useful weight savings on it ??????
I believe that the customers demand "stupid wood" - electronics etc...

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I see your point, but I disagree because,
1. customers want all the goodies
2. Cutting weight from the highest point on the vehicle will provide a benefit, even if its "just 10lbs".
3. a CF roof reinforces the notion that BMW is "high tech".

I think its awesome! I just hope they build the M6 cabrio.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The M6 was built to be a luxury spot car for daily use! There is no possibility for more weight reduction without compromising comforts or safety and keeping the price acceptable. Anyway, any weight reduction and any effort to lower the centre of gravity - no matter how small - is not in vain but improves the handling of the car. The competitiors have the same weight problems with all the amenities modern cars are supposed to offer:

Aston Martin V12 Vanquish: 1910 kg
Bentley Continental GT: 2385 kg
Jaguar XKR: 1735 kg
Maserati Coupe GT: 1645 kg
Mercedes CL 55 AMG: 1995 kg
Ferrari 612 Scaglietti: 1925 kg

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
The weight saving is done on the best possible area of weight saving. CF roof lowers the center fo gravity significantly.

·
Registered
714 Posts
so there will be no sunroof? counterproductive of the weight saving intent on the roof? but, customers demand glass sunroofs...
what about a M6 convertible?

·
Registered
714 Posts
sorry didnt read the other post on the m6.

come to think of it, the CF roof is a 'headline' for the M6 marketing.
without it, the M6's everything would have already been overshadow by the M5.
i.e. nothing new.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Considering the distance to the ground I beleive it does. The momentum is say five times higher there than a similar weight at a height just about the floor.

·
Registered
457 Posts
M! said:
i.e. nothing new.
There are differences between M5 and M6.

1. The M6 weighs less. It's not much, but everything counts.
2. The M6 has got a lower centre of gravity.
3. The wheelbase is shorter.
4. The M6 is broader.
5. IMHO the M6 should have a better drag.

We have to wait for the M6 Sport Auto Supertest before forming a final judgement!

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
I think you are too harsh here. M3 CSL was alot more Motorsport than Marketing. BMW invested alot on a special carbon roof press for the CSL and I doubt it is just for marketing puposes...

M! said:
sorry didnt read the other post on the m6.

i.e. nothing new.

·
Registered
704 Posts
vndkshn said:
But I doubt that the 10 pound saving makes that much of a difference...
I am sure thats 10lbs over a steel roof. Compared to the glass one in the 645 its got to be closer to a 50-100lbs diffrence.

I like it. Much like the other lightweight parts on the car they saved where they could without losing functionality or luxury. For the record, my M3 has a sunroof and I regret getting it.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Good point- what would the weight savings over a steel roof with a standard sunroof- not the big one on the 6. Perhaps more than 10lbs.... I think if they build a M6 cabrio this makes great sense. If you want ultimate performance, get the coupe. If you want the wind in your hair, and want the M6, then they offer the cabrio. So its a little slower and less stiff, it will still be awesome.

I think the M6 is great and offers a great contrast to what MB is doing with gobs of power & gobs of weight.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The M6 must strike an equilibrium between beauty, luxury, practicality and performance. That's why we want the leather, wood/aluminium trim, TV, phone, and the V10 507bhp. This is what defines the segment it is in, and at the same time not making it too expensive. BMW could have built the entire car in carbon fibre, not just the roof, but how many people can afford that price?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
There are differences between M5 and M6.

1. The M6 weighs less. It's not much, but everything counts.
2. The M6 has got a lower centre of gravity.
3. The wheelbase is shorter.
4. The M6 is broader.
5. IMHO the M6 should have a better drag.

We have to wait for the M6 Sport Auto Supertest before forming a final judgement!
you miss the point.
points 1-5 you listed are already valid for a 545i vs 645i comparison.
so nothing new. cherrsagai

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
If a M5 is the ultimate 5er, and the M6 the ultimate 6er, then shouldn't the differences between the M5 & M6 be similar to the differences between the 5&6? What makes the 6 a good value? So far we've concluded that its really not a great value- but its benefit is in the packaging- if it works for you.

·
Registered
816 Posts
That's right: it fundamentally comes down to "do you want a sedan or do you want a coupe"? The performance is the same, the handling might be different (but I doubt that's gonna be a point of huge difference at all), and apart from a few "luxury" features in the M6, the carbon fibre roof, there's not much else that's significantly different to the M5.

I'm getting it because I want a coupe, and I think the styling of the 6 appeals to me more than the 5. As for value, let me be frank, personally I'm not going to think much about value for money at this echelon of car products.

·
Registered
714 Posts
i agree with menthusiast and m6forever on the sedan / coupe points.
btw, their competitors are quite different? no?
M5 - E55, RS6, ... ... (MB, Audi)
M6 - 997, DB8/DB9 ?? ... ... (Porsche, Aston Martin)

BMW is making a lot of enemies.... .... ...

·
Registered
62 Posts
The sunroof i'm assuming weighs in at the 75-100lb range at least and then there's the added weight of steel or glass. The savings is plenty.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I would imagine that the most obvious competitors to the M5 are the CL55/65 and the CLS55, and to a lesser extent the SL55/65.

I like the SL55 - beautful and does everything well - though it's pricey and I always thought the justification for losing seats, trunk space, doors, etc. was to lose weight, and it weighs more than the M5. Much of this is due to the hard top convertible roof, but a lot of it is MB just not caring that much about weight.

In terms of weight, I wonder if it's possible to make a hard-top convertible largely using CF and mitigate some of its (very large) weight penalties.

Tom

1 - 20 of 28 Posts